Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 05:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times

Advertisements

I pretty much just delineate it into people who care a lot about what others think about their attire, and people who don't.

I've found that I can find flattering, attractive, and well-made clothing at every store listed. I've also found that I can find stuff at every store listed that's unflattering, shoddily constructed, and ugly. It personally delights me when I'll wear a cute outfit to work that I put together off discount racks at Target or Old Navy or WalMart, and somebody at work who spends MUCH more money on clothing at much more high-end stores and flaunts labels will complement it...I always thank her, grin cheerfully, and say, "Yeah, $12 (or whatever) at WalMart (or wherever), who knew?" And watch her face transform for a split second into a look of abject horror that she just complimented a discounted outfit from a cheap store, before she catches herself and pastes her fakey-nice smile back on. Then I chuckle inside and feel very self-satisfied. Horrifying the status-conscious is always a party.

"Never pay full price" is my motto, as is, "If it looks cute, who cares where you bought it?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 08:02 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
To me, elegance is the uniqueness of good taste, not the massive all-dress-the-same or my-friend-got-it-at-xx-and-I-am-going-to-buy-one-too kind of thing.

Tacky people (rich or not, tackiness does not make a distinction) always want the latest fashion trends that say "I can buy that, I bought it at xx!!" whereas truly elegant people have pieces from different places/bought at different times.
I recently went to one of Stephen Pyles's restaurants here in Dallas wearing simple earrings, a shirt and shoes from Target, a pencil skirt from the Gap factory store, and I accessorized with a Kate Spade purse that I got 75% off at their sample sale. It's my special occasion/interview purse. I saw lots of foo-foo fussy outfits there, but I think I blended in just fine. Simple but elegant. Though I think I was the only woman there who DIDN'T have a Coach bag.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:31 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,797,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
For one thing, I asked "what comes to your mind first"? Meaning your first thought about people shopping at those places. Of course there are going to be class stereotypes. I didn't ask "what POLITICALLY CORRECT, non-generalizing thought comes to your mind first", as that would produce boring answers (like yours above).
No, you just answered to provoke others. How can I answer to stir a debate.

Whatever, dude!

Old 07-25-2010, 06:49 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Quote:
What's the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear a person shops (for their clothes) at...
"Isn't there something more interesting we can talk about"?

Old 07-26-2010, 12:32 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,847,294 times
Wal-Mart?....that they love flip flops

K-Mart?....see wal-mart

Target?....that their favorite colors to wear are red and white

T.J. Maxx?....that they're trendy, but frugal. or broke

Sears?....that they don't know where the dillard's is

Macy's....they like to be fashionable, and don't mind paying a little bit extra for contemporary clothing

Abercrombie and Fitch?....hmmm no comment

Nordstrom's?....macy's crowd with more money

Saks 5th Ave?....may or may not be fashionable, but they're into labels and have the big bank to pay for it

Louis Vuitton Outlet?....no idea

Old Navy?....weather forecast says it's going to rain tomorrow, and they need a new jacket

H&M?....hmmm meh

Old 07-26-2010, 06:30 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
I just bought a suit at Men's Wearhouse and so far I haven't been demoted or lost any of my high falutin' friends.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:44 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Wal-Mart?....that they love flip flops

K-Mart?....see wal-mart

Target?....that their favorite colors to wear are red and white

T.J. Maxx?....that they're trendy, but frugal. or broke

Sears?....that they don't know where the dillard's is

Macy's....they like to be fashionable, and don't mind paying a little bit extra for contemporary clothing

Abercrombie and Fitch?....hmmm no comment

Nordstrom's?....macy's crowd with more money

Saks 5th Ave?....may or may not be fashionable, but they're into labels and have the big bank to pay for it

Louis Vuitton Outlet?....no idea

Old Navy?....weather forecast says it's going to rain tomorrow, and they need a new jacket

H&M?....hmmm meh
I see you don't have a location listed (why?), but isn't Dillard's a Southern chain? I know of no Dillard's in Minnesota, though there was one right next to me at USF in the University Mall when I lived in Tampa.

Duluth lacks a lot of the chains listed: Macy's, Nordstrom's, Saks 5th Ave, Louis Vuitton Outlet, and H&M. In fact, we don't have any major upscale chain store as far as I know (nor do we have even one Mercedes-Benz or BMW dealership!)

As for me, I do most of my shopping at used clothing stores (Plato's Closet, Ragstock, etc.) and J.C. Penny's (gotta love the "tacky" Southpole glitter T-shirts!), and once in a while, T.J. Maxx (used to be all the time) and K-Mart. I generally buy only what's on sale. I don't shop at the upscale joints because I don't like spending much money on clothes, nor do I shop at Wal-Mart much.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:55 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,414 times
Wal-Mart? They work there, or are on a budget

K-Mart? (See Wal-Mart)

Target? ("")

T.J. Maxx? Person values brand names at affordable price

Sears? Person likes one-stop shopping for jeans and power tools for work

Macy's? Person is an All-American shopper: Likes both basic and some finer things

Abercrombie and Fitch? Person is a Teen/College-age and values trendiness

Nordstrom's? Person values finer things in life

Saks 5th Ave? Person values the really finer things in life

Louis Vuitton Outlet? Person wants high-end items without buying online

Old Navy? Person is laid back

H&M? Person is trendy & thrifty

Note: While I have found items from some of these places a one point in time, I assumed the OP meant the person primarily buys there clothes from this stores.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:03 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
I see you don't have a location listed (why?), but isn't Dillard's a Southern chain? I know of no Dillard's in Minnesota, though there was one right next to me at USF in the University Mall when I lived in Tampa.
Dillard's - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-26-2010, 04:32 PM

15 posts, read 37,200 times
Quote:
What's the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear a person shops (for their clothes) at...

Wal-Mart? They can't afford much else or only need something for a couple of uses. I hate Wal-Mart clothes and shoes because they seem to fall apart after a couple of washings.

K-Mart? Same as Wal-Mart.

Target? Depends. Some of their stuff is really cute but some is just terrible. I guess I picture a fashion concious person, sometimes a person with questionable taste.

T.J. Maxx? I've never shopped there.

Sears? They don't have anything unique so I'd guess someone is just buying from there for normal, everyday clothes.

Macy's I think of a snob. But I've never been there so that isn't the most informed opinion.

Abercrombie and Fitch? High schooler or college student who still acts like a high schooler.

Nordstrom's? Never been there.

Saks 5th Ave? Never been there.

Louis Vuitton Outlet? Never been there.

Old Navy? Someone looking for staple clothing items at a decent price.

H&M? Teenager or young adult who needs cheap clothes, usually skinny jeans and big sunglasses. Hipsters maybe?
Answers in purple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty