Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 08:30 AM

6,514 posts, read 8,392,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Funny how this came up the other day (I'm a merchandiser and one line I do is men's underwear) - the women can't stand someone who doesn't wear an undershirt.

It looks sloppy for a man to NOT wear an undershirt under a button-down. A polo-type shirt you could get away with (depending on the weight) but some men really need to either for perspiration, hair, man-boob issues, whatever.

And yes, wear a v-neck tee under polo-type shirts, a crew-neck under dress shirts. Honestly, I don't EVER want to see someone wearing a dress shirt w/o and undershirt.
So you're basically trying to sell us undershirts?

This is the first I've ever heard of this I've never had any complaints. What is this the twenties? Plenty of men walking around without any undershirt on you make it sound like you're going commando or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 09:00 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,265,551 times
As a woman, I don't really care whether or not a man wears an undershirt beneath his polo. It doesn't bother me in the least to see a bit of white round-necked undershirt, as long as it's clean.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:30 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,393,681 times
Do you realize people are starving to death right now.....Im sorry you dont like my undershirt...

Old 06-16-2015, 04:59 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,347,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Do you realize people are starving to death right now.....Im sorry you dont like my undershirt...
It's not like they can eat your undershirt.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:58 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,735,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
Do you realize how bad it looks? It makes you look like you're still getting dressed by your mom also ! I admit I used to do it, but stopped a few years ago, it makes you look sloppy.
1) No, it doesn't - you subjectively think it does.

2) And what you think doesn't even make sense. The word 'sloppy' has a definition, and intentionally wearing a shirt-combination that some think should not go together does not even approach that definition.

3) With a button-up shirt I wear a t-shirt, crew neck, because in the corporate environment where I work the Joe-Cool-no-tee look doesn't fly, and if I wore a v-neck I'd look like I might be going tee-less. And, yes, I've thoroughly checked this out - from directors on down, the visible crew tee is substantially more common than the no-visible-tee/no-tee look. And guess what? At work, that's my target audience, not some online poster who thinks the definition of 'sloppy' is an attire practice that he doesn't happen to like.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:32 PM

60 posts, read 55,749 times
I think the OP.

1)Has too much time on his hands
2)Doesn't understand style nor a "personal preference"
3)And he's probably just too young..
4)Also sometimes the tee shirt is just neater, cleaner, and more sophisticated...Less chance of being a bum..

Old 01-24-2016, 12:24 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,343,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjl1717 View Post
I think the OP.

1)Has too much time on his hands
2)Doesn't understand style nor a "personal preference"
3)And he's probably just too young..
4)Also sometimes the tee shirt is just neater, cleaner, and more sophisticated...Less chance of being a bum..
Replying to a 6 year old thread...

Looks like OP isn't the only one with too much time on their hands.

That being said, I've seen people have the personal preference of wearing a shirt under their polo or button down shirt. This is perfectly fine if it's not visible. If it's visible, then it's just a total lack of respect for fashion and style. There's nothing wrong with that, however.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:55 AM

42 posts, read 49,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
Do you realize how bad it looks? It makes you look like you're still getting dressed by your mom also ! I admit I used to do it, but stopped a few years ago, it makes you look sloppy.
I respectfully disagree. I wear a tshirt/undershirt when I wear a button down shirt. It's for practical reasons as well as the fact it looks better sometimes. I have a thyroid condition, so sometimes I sweat a little more the normal, regardless of how much deodorant I wear. So it hides unsightly sweat stains showing on my shirt.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:31 AM

393 posts, read 406,187 times
I wear a white undershirt under everything, polo, long sleeve, dress shirt, etc. I like the cleanliness feeling of a nice white tshirt, and I think it looks good.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:28 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,862,241 times
I'm a woman and it really isn't a big deal to me either way whether or not a man is wearing an undershirt or not. I don't really care if I can see it or not...or if it peeks out of his collar. As long as he looks relatively well-groomed and is clean, then I am happy

Everybody should go with whatever makes them comfortable and not worry about what others think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty