Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 10:39 PM

64 posts, read 184,952 times

Advertisements

After years of suffocating my feet in shoes and socks, I decided to start going barefoot and wearing flip flops and sandals on a regular basis in the summer. My feet were in decent condition at first but I noticed that as the summer went on, they started getting rougher on the bottom with dead skin. Is this a sign that I need a pedicure? Do you ladies know of any way I can take care of this myself? Being a guy I don't think I could bring myself to go in to get one LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 11:44 AM

955 posts, read 3,639,308 times
get a ped egg and go to town with it on your feet!

Old 08-13-2010, 11:48 AM

29,627 posts, read 34,119,900 times
You can get a pumice stone or a foot file at the drug store. Use it on the rough patches either in or after your shower while the skin is still damp. Once a week or so, put lotion on your feet and wear socks for a few hours to let it soak in.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:58 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,557,728 times
Good for you! It's nice to see a man take care of his feet. My feet callus easily, so this is what I do.

1. Get a Ped Egg and a brush/pumice combo, one with a handle. Ped Eggs are about $10 and can be found at Target, Walmart or any drugstore. If you live in a dry climate or have chronically thick calluses, you might get some special lotion for your feet too.

Amazon.com: Telebrands Ped Egg for Men: Kitchen & Dining

Amazon.com: AquaBella Pumice Brush (Twin Pack): Beauty

Amazon.com: Callus Eliminator- Dry Heel Eliminator Combo: Beauty

2. For a first-time slough, take a nice, hot, soapy shower. Better yet, a bath or soak your feet. Use the Ped Egg to get a lot of the callus off. It's basically a handheld cheese grater. I know, gross, but it works.
3. To finish up the first-time slough, and to maintain the smoothness, use the pumice two or three times a week after a shower, or in the shower. It's like sandpaper; rub in one direction. DO NOT try to get all the callus off at once, lest you expose very sensitive skin. Get the completely dead, dry stuff off and hone the rest down over time. And be careful of any deep cracks in the callus. Those will hurt like heck if you expose them too much or pull them open.
4. Be sure to get the back of your heel, the sides of your foot, and the balls of your feet.
5. Moisturize. Foot cream can be very thick and almost greasy. It will work very well but take a while to penetrate, so you might want to put it on before you sleep. I like these, and they won't make you smell like a girl:

Amazon.com: Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Foot Cream 2 oz.: Beauty

Amazon.com: Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Moisturizing Treatment, Cracked Heel…

6. Cut your toenails once a week.

Anyone sharing your bed will thank you!

Old 08-14-2010, 11:14 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,609,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus0123 View Post
After years of suffocating my feet in shoes and socks, I decided to start going barefoot and wearing flip flops and sandals on a regular basis in the summer. My feet were in decent condition at first but I noticed that as the summer went on, they started getting rougher on the bottom with dead skin. Is this a sign that I need a pedicure? Do you ladies know of any way I can take care of this myself? Being a guy I don't think I could bring myself to go in to get one LOL
Well, Duh!

Don'tcha think the body might need some extra protection on the bottom of a bare foot? It's a natural "sole" that all who go barefoot will develop so don't be crazy enough to remove it and still go barefoot.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:52 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,176,161 times
Its best to use stones over blades. Blades can make it worse in the long run. But they are good for the occasional heavy duty clean ups.

I have been mixing crushed aspirin in with my nightly foot creme. It is suppose to aid in getting rid of the dead skin. Its cheaper than the acne pad per use. (oprah trick)

Take a chapstick with you. Rip off the label so you don't use it on your mouth by accident . Lip balm is good for quick swipes when you are out and are easier to carry than lotion when you don't have a bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty