Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 05:53 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Why would I want to do that. I'm 35 you know not 75. To suggest that I let myself go gray is bad advice. I didn't ask anyone to give me advice on whether or not I should colour my hair. I asked what other people are paying for their hair.
You go girl. There's no way I'm showing the gray . I plan on aging gracefully with a little help from my hairdresser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 08:21 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
You go girl. There's no way I'm showing the gray . I plan on aging gracefully with a little help from my hairdresser

I know. Why would you voluntarily want to look 20 years older????Some people make no freaking sense

Old 08-29-2010, 09:03 PM

218 posts, read 455,146 times
$178 is pretty high. Keep in mind, what kind of salon it is. Also. Your price doesn't ONLY include the labor and cost of color, there are many other factors that end up in the final cost. Shampoo they use, products they use, electricity, ect. I charge $65 for color/highlights, $30 for the cut....$90 total, the most I get out of that is about $30 give or take.....tips are appreciated,lol,no...seriously

Old 08-30-2010, 01:46 PM

542 posts, read 1,478,922 times
I assume it is the same in Canada as the US--in any major city there are great and high priced salons that ALSO have training schools (some here include Gene Juarez, 7, and Gary Manuel Salon). The people attending these training schools already have cosmetology degrees and perhaps have even worked at other salons, but still have to go through this particular's salons training--which can take up to 2-3 years, depending on how fast they go through it. Needless to say the salons have HIGH standards (hence why they charge so much. However, what I have discovered and have been doing for YEARS is going to their training salons, where there are always teachers nearby and paying a FRACTION of what I was paying before at the other salons. Sometimes they even offer free services (you can call and ask about this and/or check out the beauty services section of craigslist in or near your city). But even if it is not free, it is very very reasonable. I was paying $70+ for a haircut and style and now I pay $30. I generally dye my own hair (much cheaper and lasts a hell of a lot longer), but then buy GOOD products (like Aveda) that keep my color longer. I did change from black to red not so long ago (back to black again now), and had to go in and have them pull all the black out (took a couple of processes and then the new color). I was there for 4 hours, and then my hair was cut and styled and NOT fried since I had it professionally done and cost me just over $100 (plus tip of course). You should really look into these kind of places in your area--SO worth it! There are some that also offer discount spa services (waxing, manicures, facials, etc). While on topic, there are schools that also offer heavily discounted massages, too.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:49 PM

I'll also add that the stylists that are working at these training salons actually have to get ACCEPTED in, too. So they have talent to begin with.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:32 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,310,461 times
Quote:
Do you think my hairdresser charges too much? I went for a haircut, blowdry and root touch-up and she charged me 107.35.
When I got root touch-up, hilites and a blow dry she chrged me 178.00.
I have to go every 2 months because of the grey but at this rate I won't be able to afford it. I get my hair cut every 4 months.
Is there anything else I could use to cover up grey at the roots?
What do you recommend?
I think that is a major ripoff. For highlights and haircut with blowdry (i have very long hair) the most I've paid is 80 USD. You can touch up your greys at home with a kit, I am sure. If not, I am sure you can find a salon that is much more affordable.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
$200 is nothing to pay in/around NYC. Then again, I'm frugal and found a place that will color, cut, and blowstyle my waist-length hair for $40 AND I get a scalp massage. They do a great job but I'm also not looking for anything special. I bring my own color so when I can't get there, I can do the roots at home.
Can you PLEASE let me know where this is??? I am moving to NYC in a month and am looking for such a place!

Old 09-01-2010, 11:47 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
Quote:
Do you think my hairdresser charges too much? I went for a haircut, blowdry and root touch-up and she charged me 107.35.
When I got root touch-up, hilites and a blow dry she chrged me 178.00.
I have to go every 2 months because of the grey but at this rate I won't be able to afford it. I get my hair cut every 4 months.
Is there anything else I could use to cover up grey at the roots?
What do you recommend?
Absolutely reasonable cost. Don't skimp on color or chemicals of any sort. Unless your hair is a really, really dark color (African/Asian/Hispanic) buying a box of dye from your local drugstore is going to look like crap.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:32 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Absolutely reasonable cost. Don't skimp on color or chemicals of any sort. Unless your hair is a really, really dark color (African/Asian/Hispanic) buying a box of dye from your local drugstore is going to look like crap.

That's why I never tried to do colouring at home. I have dark brown hair and just don't trust myself to do it well and I'm really picky about hair.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:05 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
Quote:
That's why I never tried to do colouring at home. I have dark brown hair and just don't trust myself to do it well and I'm really picky about hair.
Yes, exactly. Your hair strands are probably five different colors so the home job ends up looking silly and unnatural. Black/off-black can pull it off, but the lighter the hair the worse it looks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty