Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 07:51 PM

73 posts, read 218,088 times

Advertisements

I agree! Women's sizing is ridiculous. And it's terrible that it isn't even consistent within one brand. I tried on 4 pairs of jeans at Banana Republic the other day. They were all supposedly the same size, cut, and wash, and they all fit differently. WTH? Also, I know that sizes have gotten larger over the years. I wear the same size now as I did in highschool and I know I've gained weight since then (the scale doesn't lie or vanity anything unfortunately.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 09:01 PM

541 posts, read 2,137,878 times
Wow, sure are a lot of haters on this thread I, too, worked very hard to get to a size 4 (from a 22) and don't appreciate the rude comments.

I find the sizing discrepancies annoying, too! I never by anything without trying it on first. My husband, on the other hand, can walk into any clothing store and pick out his usual size and it always fits!

Old 08-22-2010, 10:37 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I wish I could drum up some sympathy for your size 4 being too big, but I can't.
Seriously though, you are so on target about womens sizes. You can't even find consistency at one store, and you can't even trust a store's own size charts. It's ridiculous. Why can't we have sizing like men; waist, inseam, tall, short, etc?
I agree. We need consistent sizing in women's clothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Are you under 5'5'' & strait/athletic hipped ? Worthington is very adult women cut. (generous in the bust and hips) If you are even around 5'5'' try the petite Worthington stuff. They have smaller pants than those. There are certain brands that are just always cut way to big in areas that make them swim on me too. I can wear Worthington coats, but not the clothing.
I am not petite...I am 5'6" though I can sometimes wear petite skirts/pants depending on the cut. Sometimes the pants are a little too short to wear with heels but with flats they can be OK. If the petite skirt is above the knee, it's usually too short on me to wear. I can't wear petite tops/jackets at all; my shoulders and back are too wide and my arms are too long. You may be right about the Worthington stuff; I haven't tried any of it since I was about a size 12. Since the regular length inseam was so long, the petite might work. I will ask about it when I take the pants back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenamanie View Post
I agree! Women's sizing is ridiculous. And it's terrible that it isn't even consistent within one brand. I tried on 4 pairs of jeans at Banana Republic the other day. They were all supposedly the same size, cut, and wash, and they all fit differently. WTH? Also, I know that sizes have gotten larger over the years. I wear the same size now as I did in highschool and I know I've gained weight since then (the scale doesn't lie or vanity anything unfortunately.)
Sizes have gotten larger because the average American woman has gotten larger, apparently...some people say that a size 12 is cut for the "average" woman and as the average woman has gotten increasingly larger, all sizes have become larger relative to this. Why couldn't we have just stuck to pattern sizes??? I think my pattern size is between 10 and 12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleite61 View Post
Wow, sure are a lot of haters on this thread I, too, worked very hard to get to a size 4 (from a 22) and don't appreciate the rude comments.
Me either but honestly when I was a size 22 I may have found it hard to sympathize with someone griping about size 4s being too big. But it's a pain in the butt on both ends of the spectrum not being able to find clothing that fits.

Quote:
I find the sizing discrepancies annoying, too! I never by anything without trying it on first. My husband, on the other hand, can walk into any clothing store and pick out his usual size and it always fits!
I know; it's so freaking UNFAIR. Then men gripe about us taking so long to find clothes because we insist on trying everything on. Ugh; if they only knew.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:41 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Sometimes I find it sad that my wardrobe contains everything from (adult) size 3 up to 10 - yet all fit pretty decent. I hate the arbitrary number thrown onto clothing, but I hate even moreso that the larger sizes are getting smaller and smaller numbers. It'd be nice to have women's clothing be sold by measurements instead of random numbers.

Bust, Waist, Hip, Inseam.

Though, call me crazy, but a friend told me about how pants are listed at A&F. For Experience Points and a chance at a Treasure Box with rare loot... I stepped inside to take a look. I was actually able to pick out a pair of FEMALE jeans listed by waist, hip, and inseam. It was a crazy adventure full of random battles with these weird orange people.... but good to know that at least somebody out there gets it.

However, from the prospective of the stores, how many women would buy articles of clothing that explicity stated 50" bust, 42" waist, 53" Hip, 30" inseam over the size 22?

Old 08-23-2010, 10:37 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I ordered a pair of slim fit pants from J.C. Penney, size 4, Worthington brand. They arrived and they are swimming on me. They are at least 2 sizes too big.

I wear a 4 at Gap, Banana Republic, J. Crew, and a 6 at Old Navy, Ann Taylor and Urban Outfitters in some cuts, 4 in others. Target's Merona 4 is sometimes too big for me but I can usually shrink them down to a comfy fit with a good hot wash and high heat tumble dry session.

Size 4 is the SMALLEST size that they sell in this pant. It doesn't come any smaller than that. So I can't even return it and get a smaller size. WTH.
You think you MAY be convinced? What...you really didn't know this? Where have you been for the last 15 years?? I have everything from a size 2 (J Crew) to a size 12 (H&M top) in my closet...and they ALL fit.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You think you MAY be convinced? What...you really didn't know this? Where have you been for the last 15 years?? I have everything from a size 2 (J Crew) to a size 12 (H&M top) in my closet...and they ALL fit.
Believe it or not, but the clothing in my closet is sized as follows:

Bottom-layer camis/tees: small
Top-layer blouses/shirts/sweaters: medium
All other tops: medium
Skirts: 4
Dresses: 4, 6
Pants of all kinds and lengths: 4, 6
Coats: medium
Bras: 34B, 34C (depending on time of month)
Underwear: 6

Period.

Seriously.

Brands range from Gap to Old Navy to Banana Republic to J. Crew to Urban Outfitters to American Living (a J.C. Penney brand) to Urban Outfitters to Merona (Target) to Faded Glory (Wal-Mart) to Hanes to Levis to Ann Taylor to Calvin Klein to whatever else you can think of including various brands of sportswear. My measurements put me between 10 and 12 in a pattern size so my vintage clothing ranges from 10 to 12. My vintage clothing is all from the 1960s.

My clothing is not all over the scale in terms of size. That is why I was, frankly, very surprised at how big these pants were...especially since I compared my measurements to those on J.C. Penney's website's size chart and these pants should have fit.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:43 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I commend you for taking the time to post all the brands, etc. - but as many have been posting for yrs. now - sizing Sucks! Back in time, there were threads on this, I personally complained (I happen to be small) but it really stinks when you are basically the same size forever and have old stuff (I have clothes that I bought 20 yrs. ago) that are a 5 and now have to buy 0,1,3 (depends on who makes it) or even a kids' 12/14/16.

Sizing really does need to become consistent and I'd love to see more like men's sizing - waist/inseam.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I commend you for taking the time to post all the brands, etc. - but as many have been posting for yrs. now - sizing Sucks! Back in time, there were threads on this, I personally complained (I happen to be small) but it really stinks when you are basically the same size forever and have old stuff (I have clothes that I bought 20 yrs. ago) that are a 5 and now have to buy 0,1,3 (depends on who makes it) or even a kids' 12/14/16.

Sizing really does need to become consistent and I'd love to see more like men's sizing - waist/inseam.
I agree. Waist/inseam would be fantastic. Some high-priced/couture jeans actually are measured by their waist/inseam size but the overwhelming majority of women's clothing is sized by random arbitrary numbers relative to an ever-changing "average". It's stupid.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:05 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,457 times
I also have an extremely difficult time finding pants that fit. I'm 5'8 so I can't shop in the petite sections (clothes typically made for women under 5'5). I usually wear a 2 or a 4, sometimes a 0 (and it's near impossible to find pants in a 0). When I wore a size 9, I never had issues finding clothes, never.
Agree that average sizes have gotten larger to reflect the average American women.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:00 PM

414 posts, read 1,009,508 times
I agree. I hate shopping for pants. I have a very difficult time. I'm 5'2" on a good day and pants are just not made for short people. My pant sizes vary and my skirt sizes are usually a size smaller than my pants.

I've purchased pants at The Buckle, and while they are pretty pricy, they fit me the best. They are labeled more like men's pants. I like it better because my waist size is smaller than my hip size so I feel like I'm actually in the right size!

I feel your frustration!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty