Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 05:16 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,768,937 times

Advertisements

I watched that on video and that owner was very rude, i would never go there and if i lived close enough i would tell all my friends not to go there either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 06:10 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,463,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Someone who makes a scene enough to call the news for 5$ is insane. Seriously.
Buy new chairs...maybe thats what the 5$ is for?
They don't come free. If she has x amt to work with then that is that. So she could refuse service and then it would turn into a fat thing or a black thing and get sued.

She went in there by choice. She just sounds like crazy person. Maybe she is anti-asian and was told about the fee but "didn't understand". I am not gifted with languages at all. Babies do it. Any person can too if the would even try, but they don't.

You know all this "dirty" talk about Asian salons in ignorance is what white people say about African salons. Still think its cool to do that?

Also the news sucks. Don't even get me started on incomplete reporting. They may have leaflets or the charge posted on the wall. I follow the news quite a bit and found it reports things incorrectly all the time. Ages, spellings, dates, omits details to "sell a story"

I don't think its me focused on the customers. Its you guys not focused on what it costs to run a business because it could of happened to you. I am just saying if you are freaking out over 5 bucks...you better be prepared for the cost of poor health. Sometimes its those types of things that SHOULD make a person think..well yeh...lets take care of this. Its now causing ridiculous problems for me. But she would rather try to run a salon out of business that could of turned into a story of triumph for her later down the line. But she will just whine and point fingers that the world is not set up to accommodate her and her unhealthy habits. Should we install soft corners on all furniture too so the drunks don't hurt their poor selves?
It sounds like you are saying that businesses in America should be allowed to "tax" fat people into getting thin. That the extra money that they are shelling out will benefit them in the long run.

Get serious. You would not personally agree to pay an additional "fee" for being fat. So every business would have the right to charge the obese an extra $5 for walking into grocery store, for going to the movies, for eating in a restaurant, to rent a car, for riding a subway, for trying on clothes in a fitting room, etc, etc.

So if I own a business and decide to charge beautiful people less than ugly people (or tall people less than short people or Eskimos less than Peruvians) for the exact same service is that OK? Get real.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:39 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,239,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
What kind of person do you think I am?
I'm not sure you really want the answer to that question. Personally, if I had an overweight friend (which I do) I would never in a million years discuss their weight issue on a public forum and how they've destroyed pieces of furniture in my house and how I shouldn't have to buy furniture to support their weight and I suspect that if you've discussed it here, you've discussed it with your mutual friends. Am I right?

The point to the original topic should be - is that under no circumstances should anyone, at any time humiliate another human being for any reason. Why is that such a hard concept to understand? Are we as a nation so vacuous and self-centered that we have to put someone else down in order to build ourselves up.

*shakes head* when did kindness go out of style?
I weep for our future

Old 08-27-2010, 11:46 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,189,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
It sounds like you are saying that businesses in America should be allowed to "tax" fat people into getting thin. That the extra money that they are shelling out will benefit them in the long run.

Get serious. You would not personally agree to pay an additional "fee" for being fat. So every business would have the right to charge the obese an extra $5 for walking into grocery store, for going to the movies, for eating in a restaurant, to rent a car, for riding a subway, for trying on clothes in a fitting room, etc, etc.

So if I own a business and decide to charge beautiful people less than ugly people (or tall people less than short people or Eskimos less than Peruvians) for the exact same service is that OK? Get real.
Then go to the higher end expensive salons. They have the chairs from ripping everyone off fat and thin to accommodate large buns.

No I would not because I would never stay that fat. You could not PAY me to. I would march right out of there and sign up for a gym and look at how I am eating and change that. Not call the 6 o clocks news.
Obesity is a big problem and I would not play part. That would of been my reality check.

LEAN Works: A Workplace Obesity Prevention Program | DNPAO | CDC

"Medical expenses for obese employees are estimated to be 42 percent higher than for a person with a healthy weight."

Think thats over 5 bucks?

Obesity is a crisis in the country. Its a DISEASED state. I think people need to understand that. I don't know how clearer you can be if you are too fat for a chair!

Also excessive weight is a LUXURY. You don't get fat by undereating or eating the proper amounts. You get fat on overeating. To over indulge is a luxury. Rich people pay luxury tax on stuff they don't need that is above common needs. Fairs fair right?

Old 08-27-2010, 12:44 PM

609 posts, read 1,256,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
I'm not sure you really want the answer to that question. Personally, if I had an overweight friend (which I do) I would never in a million years discuss their weight issue on a public forum and how they've destroyed pieces of furniture in my house and how I shouldn't have to buy furniture to support their weight and I suspect that if you've discussed it here, you've discussed it with your mutual friends. Am I right?

The point to the original topic should be - is that under no circumstances should anyone, at any time humiliate another human being for any reason. Why is that such a hard concept to understand? Are we as a nation so vacuous and self-centered that we have to put someone else down in order to build ourselves up.

I weep for our future
if i could give you more rep for this post, i would. but i already repped you recently apparently.

anyway...about this. if i was that woman...the lady telling me i got charged extra for being fat woulda got a black eye. plain and simple. thats just so rude and theres no excuse for that. if she wanted to run a proper business, she woulda started it out right, equipped with chairs that could hold anything.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:14 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,189,356 times
Sorry but if you are going outside of the HEALTHY norm its you that needs to look into special needs. NOT everyone else.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:29 PM

921 posts, read 1,128,946 times
Quote:
The real issue is why in the hell would someone want to to go to one of these fungus factories? I'd much rather have short healthy fingernails and toenails - meh!
I agree with you.
While on vacation, my friend visited one of the Asian nail salons to get both a manicure & pedicure. Two days after receiving that service, her toe nails turned green & a doctor told her this was caused by dirty equipment used & possibly small fungus in the foot spa bowl.
Those nail salons are not kept clean, especially the ones owned by Asians.

Now speaking of the chairs, they are average size & with most of them you need a stepping to get into one because they're so high up.
As another poster mentioned, maybe all salons should have a sign on their door stating the weight capacity that each chair could hold per individual.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:33 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,066,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
It sounds like you are saying that businesses in America should be allowed to "tax" fat people into getting thin.
That is exactly the way it should be. Fat people consume more resources, like more material for clothing, more fuel for buses, ships and aircraft etc etc etc.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:43 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,130,593 times
Quote:
All of our mutual friends were there and saw it, so no need to discuss it. Nobody here knows who I really am and they sure as hell don't know who my friends are, so "public" my behind. Seriously. My behind. You are making excuses to be angry because you don't like my opinions.

Quote:
I weep for our future
Probably about the same time that it became fashionable to find any excuse to be offended.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:30 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,239,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
All of our mutual friends were there and saw it, so no need to discuss it. Nobody here knows who I really am and they sure as hell don't know who my friends are, so "public" my behind. Seriously. My behind. You are making excuses to be angry because you don't like my opinions.

Probably about the same time that it became fashionable to find any excuse to be offended.
Rest assured that I am not angry because I don't like your opinions. You're allowed to feel the way you do (isn't freedom beautiful?) However, I am stating my opinion which is, that I don't have dismay for my friends who have weight issues. In fact, I don't dislike or have issues with people whom I don't even know that have weight problems. It's just not important to me. It's not what I see. What I see in others is their level of kindness. It's not important for me to dismiss someone because they look different than myself. What I don't abide by in my personal relationships is people who aren't kind and decent and make attempts to walk a mile in someone else's shoes. I don't offend easily, just as I try very hard to not tread on the feelings of others. Whatever you do is your personal business and you're allowed to have your feelings. I guess in this instance we'll just have to agree to disagree. I wish you well.

This salon owner while what she did was probably not illegal (does anyone know if there are laws?), it was morally wrong, in my opinion. But, as I've said before, she's allowed to conduct business in whatever fashion she chooses within the boundaries of the law. I would never conduct my business in that regards. In this economy no one can be too picky - hey unless she's stumbled upon some magic business formula that allows her to alienate an entire group of people because she doesn't like the way they look. Even if this were the strongest economy, I'd still rather be known as a business person who was kind and decent and treated all my clients with respect and dignity .... but that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty