Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 05:37 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times

Advertisements

Maybe it was the same people who told big, fat "Bubbas" that wear their pants four sizes too small and belt it underneath their big, fat, blubbery beer bellies that they look "good".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 06:44 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
what do you wear to the pool? I think it is ridiculous when large women try to cover up their body in big t shirts when they go swimming. Look, you are already big, you are not going to hide it in your mega size t shirt. Wear proper swimwear to the pool.
The thing is, there are well made and flattering swimsuits for big women, however they are VERY expensive. Most women can only afford Lane Bryant and even cheaper than that, so that's what they wear.
It always amazes me that the smaller the garment, the more expensive it is.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:52 PM

242 posts, read 315,332 times
Wow, large women? Really? What a shock...maybe they should all stay home to ensure that none of you judgmental idiots see them?

Old 09-30-2010, 11:31 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Large women obviously don't care about what they look like. So they put on whatever they want. Nothing wrong with being careless. Some people just are.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:33 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
I always find it interesting that people (especially women) gleefully bash overweight women as careless slobs yet this same disdain is not expressed regarding obese men.

Fat is fat. Unhealthy is unhealthy. Why are women held to a different standard and, as such, shoulder the brunt of the public scorn? Just a thought.....

Old 10-01-2010, 12:54 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Fat men and fat women are both careless (w/ exceptions). I wouldn't say slobs. You can be fat and neat.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:57 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I always find it interesting that people (especially women) gleefully bash overweight women as careless slobs yet this same disdain is not expressed regarding obese men.

Fat is fat. Unhealthy is unhealthy. Why are women held to a different standard and, as such, shoulder the brunt of the public scorn? Just a thought.....
You can't lump ME into that category ... I cap on obese men probably WAY more than obese women!

Old 10-01-2010, 06:27 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
The whole fat is thing is just a big pile of BS. Diabetes and heart disease are linked to fat. Diabetes is genetic. People get it if they are fat or not. People with heart disease are healthier if they are not obese, but the biggest cause of heart disease by far is not fat. There are two things that contribute significantly to heart disease: genetics and smoking. And, all the gym rat bulimic exercise does for an otherwise healthy person's body is wear it out.

Some of the healthiest populations in the world are fat by our standards. Look at the Arctic region peoples. Many people are totally healthy but big.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:50 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Your.Decision View Post
Wow, large women? Really? What a shock...maybe they should all stay home to ensure that none of you judgmental idiots see them?
Really! I'm not going to lie and say I don't notice obese women with rolls hanging out of tight clingy clothing, but I don't disapprove of it. Does it affect me? No. Why should I care what they're wearing? Unless they're sitting across from me in a job interview, I don't care how other people are dressed. I notice when people look sloppy, but it doesn't annoy me.

Not that it's OK to be obese. It isn't. But when I see an obese person I don't think "Ew, gross." I think "I wonder how much extra they're costing me in healthcare costs?" I don't approve of obesity but to me that's an entirely separate issue from how someone who is obese chooses to dress themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
The whole fat is thing is just a big pile of BS. Diabetes and heart disease are linked to fat. Diabetes is genetic. People get it if they are fat or not. People with heart disease are healthier if they are not obese, but the biggest cause of heart disease by far is not fat. There are two things that contribute significantly to heart disease: genetics and smoking. And, all the gym rat bulimic exercise does for an otherwise healthy person's body is wear it out.

Some of the healthiest populations in the world are fat by our standards. Look at the Arctic region peoples. Many people are totally healthy but big.
I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there. You can have a genetic predisposition towards heart disease and/or diabetes but that doesn't mean you are guaranteed to develop either condition. Diabetes also occurs much more frequently in certain ethnic groups which is clearly a genetic component at work, but not every member of those ethnic groups has diabetes. Obviously lifestyle has something to do with it.

Genetics loads the gun but environment and lifestyle pull the trigger. You can have two fat diabetic parents and avoid diabetes yourself or greatly reduce your risk of developing it by exercising, eating a healthy diet, and not smoking. My mother is diabetic for example. Does that mean I will develop diabetes? Most likely not since I am skinny as all get-out and I exercise six days a week. My blood glucose levels are completely healthy and my risk of developing diabetes is about as low as it gets.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:19 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

A lot of reason women are wearing clothes that show everything is because that is what is in the stores. I wear full coverage clothing but have to mail order it. Most people won't go to that much trouble.

I agree with you though about men. For every fat gal with a muffin top there is an equal number of fat men running around in short shorts & a tank top or shirtless showing his nasty hairy beergut. Not to mention the guys usually have B.O. too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty