Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 06:36 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,689,212 times

Advertisements

This is something about women's shoes I've never understood......

"More than any other article of clothing, shoes alter the way we move, walk and feel. Shoes spur cravings, compulsions and crimes as no other clothing does. Some people can't have sex without seeing or touching shoes. (Know any hat or tube-sock fetishists?) The fashion industry knows this. It tells us that shoes can improve our health, skill, speed: that, in effect, shoes are medicine. The industry tells us shoes can render us irresistible. Thus it knows it can charge us anything."

Why Are People Willing to Fork Out a Fortune for Shoes That Cost Little to Make? | Media and Culture | AlterNet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 07:07 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,543,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
This is something about women's shoes I've never understood......

"More than any other article of clothing, shoes alter the way we move, walk and feel. Shoes spur cravings, compulsions and crimes as no other clothing does. Some people can't have sex without seeing or touching shoes. (Know any hat or tube-sock fetishists?) The fashion industry knows this. It tells us that shoes can improve our health, skill, speed: that, in effect, shoes are medicine. The industry tells us shoes can render us irresistible. Thus it knows it can charge us anything."

Why Are People Willing to Fork Out a Fortune for Shoes That Cost Little to Make? | Media and Culture | AlterNet
Beautiful shoes make me happy!

A gorgeous pair of stilettos are like the icing on the cake of a perfect outfit.....

Opening my closet and going through ALL of the great shoe purchases that I have made over the past however many years brings a big smile to my face.....

I feel victorious when I find a fabulous pair of shoes (or two or more) on sale.....

Putting on a hot pair of shoes always perks me up.....

Throwing on a pair of sexy high heels changes the way that any women walks and moves.....

I could care less how much it cost the manufacturer to make the shoes as long as I am in love with them and they look great on me I'm happy!

Old 10-06-2010, 07:52 PM

884 posts, read 2,643,262 times
High Heels just make me fall and bust up my ankle.

I think they are gorgeous, but they aren't my thing. Handbags yes!

I detest shoe shopping.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:16 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,689,212 times
I guess we all have our weak spot.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:38 AM

179 posts, read 294,410 times
typically the money i spend is for the quality of the shoes.

i have a very specific high-end designer that i like. the heels i have bought are the most comfortable heels that i have ever purchased. and i will gladly spend more money for my feet to hurt less, for a better fit, for me to be able to wear the shoes longer. it's just a bonus if they are UNIQUE shoes that make a statement on an otherwise "ordinary" outfit.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:41 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,313,730 times
I detest expensive shoes that break after walking around in them for a few hours. I still have medium priced shoes from 15 years ago which are sort of ragged... but I still wear them because they make me look taller and svelter. I don't think anyone has ever looked at my run-down shoes when they have much more to see above ground level...

Plus I'm just not that rich to justify shoe expenses.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:46 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,175,551 times
I like comfortable shoes and for my feet, it's always been Vans' omigod-cushioned skate shoe. To save a bit, I like shopping the sales at the Vans outlet store. I picked up these beauts for $15.

Though, I have a soft spot for almost-knee high boots. They're extremely versatile for a number of locations.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:13 AM

179 posts, read 294,410 times
i'm a shoe geek, so i look at people's shoes almost before anything else. men and women both. i think shoes tell us a lot about personality.

obviously i don't spend all my money on expensive shoes, and not all my shoes are heels. i like sneakers and flip-flops as much as the next person. when i want new expensive shoes, i save, and i try to wait for sales. i waited over a year for one pair of boots, hemming and hawing before just absorbing the cost into my vacation budget.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:51 AM

93 posts, read 334,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroux View Post
i'm a shoe geek, so i look at people's shoes almost before anything else. men and women both. i think shoes tell us a lot about personality.

I do that too! It's such a turn-off when a guy wears the wrong shoe with his outfit hahah

Old 10-07-2010, 04:10 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Beautiful shoes make me happy!

A gorgeous pair of stilettos are like the icing on the cake of a perfect outfit.....

Opening my closet and going through ALL of the great shoe purchases that I have made over the past however many years brings a big smile to my face.....

I feel victorious when I find a fabulous pair of shoes (or two or more) on sale.....

Putting on a hot pair of shoes always perks me up.....

Throwing on a pair of sexy high heels changes the way that any women walks and moves.....

I could care less how much it cost the manufacturer to make the shoes as long as I am in love with them and they look great on me I'm happy!

What she said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty