Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 11:00 AM

76 posts, read 290,870 times

Advertisements

I went shoe shopping the other day to look for a new pair of gym shoes. Went to one store and this young couple was in the next aisle arguing. She was trying to get him to try on a pair of flip flops and he wouldn't do it. At another store, these two 20 something woman were trying to get this other guy to try on some flip flops. He refused but they kept trying to persuade him to try them on.

I was in a restaurant a few weeks back and there was a table of four (two men and two women). The one guy dame back from the restroom and then this woman in the group started ripping him on his footwear, she said out loud that he was wearing gym shoes and tube socks with shorts. She told him the look is stupid and told him that he should wear flip flops instead. The guy said nothing and took it like a man while she ripped him in front of everyone. The whole section could hear it lol.

Almost every woman I know has habitually tried to make me wear sandals or some sort of open shoes at *some* point, including an ex-girfriend that tried to make me change my footwear as a condition for dating her! I think it's mainly because I'm the exact opposite, my primary day-to-day footwear is BOOTS. It seems like most 20 something guys who are out with their wives/girlfriends is in some type of open toed shoe. I had a friend whose girlfriend dragged him to get a pedicure. So ladies, what is the deal with women wanting to dress their guys up in sandals these days? Have any of you done this?

Last edited by Bulldog77; 08-15-2009 at 11:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 11:09 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Well pedicure is the nice way of saying "you do not groom your feet and they look disgusting"

As far as the sandal thing....I would hide the sandles and put out the boots for wearing...But hey..maybe you had sweaty boot stink feet? Wearing boots requires : super clean foot care, powder or/and deoderant, boot drying and sock changes.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
As far as the sandal thing....I would hide the sandles and put out the boots for wearing...But hey..maybe you had sweaty boot stink feet? Wearing boots requires : super clean foot care, powder or/and deoderant, boot drying and sock changes.
No that wasn't the case, she just thought it would look a lot better with shorts.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:19 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Yeh...I think she was wrong on that one...If anything slip on Vans look good with shorts.

Boots do look odd with shorts unless you are going for an urban thing or a metal man thing.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:24 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
I'm guilty of this. My dh does not like to wear anything but shoes (or at least he didn't when we met). Not even sneakers. He won't wear sandals, but he wears his crocks. Before we married he didn't wear shorts. lol. Much has changed. I'm not sure why I suggested different foot-wear for him. I guess I thought he looked uncomfortable.

When he wears shorts now, it's usually with socks with crocks or sneakers. It looks silly, but whatever. I think he feels a bit vulnerable not wearing shoes and socks.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I'm guilty of this. My dh does not like to wear anything but shoes (or at least he didn't when we met). Not even sneakers. He won't wear sandals, but he wears his crocks. Before we married he didn't wear shorts. lol. Much has changed. I'm not sure why I suggested different foot-wear for him. I guess I thought he looked uncomfortable.

When he wears shorts now, it's usually with socks with crocks or sneakers. It looks silly, but whatever. I think he feels a bit vulnerable not wearing shoes and socks.
I wouldn't wear shorts when I was younger but wear them now occasionally. Never did get into the whole sandal craze. I have to agree with your DH on feeling "vulnerable" when not wearing shoes and socks. Crocs do look silly but I will wear sneakers with shorts if I don't wear boots.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:50 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog77 View Post
I wouldn't wear shorts when I was younger but wear them now occasionally. Never did get into the whole sandal craze. I have to agree with your DH on feeling "vulnerable" when not wearing shoes and socks. Crocs do look silly but I will wear sneakers with shorts if I don't wear boots.
When I read the OP I was like "Did my dh create an account?" LOL

Old 08-15-2009, 12:49 PM

681 posts, read 2,358,773 times
Women are simply trying to keep their men from looking like social idiots.

Going to a restaurant and wearing the combination of shorts with tube socks and running shoes is f'ing repulsive and shows the man has no understanding of how to dress, beyond some comprehension that Members Only jackets *might* be out of style.

I don't care for flip flops on guys, but hey man, you have to try to look decent. Wear loafers or something, something that doesn't look like it belongs in a sweaty gym. Or on a construction site. Dressing to the occasion means putting in a little effort so you don't look like you still ride the yellow bus. That goes for shoes, too.

Think about it like this - you have a pretty new girlfriend and tonight you'll do dinner and a movie with a group of friends. You want to show her off, right? So you get to her door and she's groomed and lovely, but she's also wearing frumpy, baggy, polyester clothes that belong in a nursing home - clothes your friends would laugh about for years to come. Oh sure, they make her look stupid but wait, her clothes are functional and clean, so it doesn't matter what you wear, right?

Uh huh.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:53 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I have seen hiking boots with shorts and that doesn't look too different, especially if one hikes or just likes that type of boot. However, cowboy or motorcycle boots just don't seem to be a natural with shorts to me.

That said, I do not understand why people harp on others in public about their footwear. In a relationship and shopping is one thing for a woman to suggest some different selections, but the senario in the restaurant is just completely rude on the part of the people who were attacking the poor guy.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-15-2009, 04:02 PM

250 posts, read 910,754 times
we do?

I dont care what kind of shoes my husband wears. I like him the way he is. Besides him following me shopping isn't necessarily my idea of fun. I hate putting him through that kind of hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty