Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 01:45 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlillydownunder View Post
Great post. I don't think the only goal should be to just lose weight and get thin. You should take your overall health into account as well. It's a multi-dimensional thing.

And I will go a step further and say that the USA meal sizes/portion sizes are beyond amazingly large--they are utterly ridiculous, and to be quite honest, totally embarassing.

I have noticed recently that a few places in Australia we've been to on a recent demi-holiday are beginning to follow that trend. I'd order what I thought would be reasonable and out would come this massive serve, that I couldn't begin to finish. It was very unexpected, especially as these were places in a very small rural town.

Bigger is not better.
yeah its definitely creeping in here, unfortunately.

I see no coincidence in the expansion of Australia's waistline & the expansion of fast food outlets here.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:13 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,552,263 times
Australia has actually surpassed the USA as having the fattest people. Congrats!

Old 11-30-2010, 03:09 PM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,160,180 times
Only fatter per capita--and that was a statistic from 2008 (I think, but it's definately from the last couple of years). Like I said it could be different now. I haven't looked it up again to see the current data, if there is any.

And it's not like I'm proud of this, so no need to congratulate anyone. I'm not ashamed either, because I don't represent Australia or the US (since I'm a US citizen residing in Australia)--I'm just quoting a statistic I've previously read about.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:14 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,552,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlillydownunder View Post
Only fatter per capita--and that was a statistic from 2008 (I think, but it's definately from the last couple of years). Like I said it could be different now. I haven't looked it up again to see the current data, if there is any.

And it's not like I'm proud of this, so no need to congratulate anyone. I'm not ashamed either, because I don't represent Australia or the US (since I'm a US citizen residing in Australia)--I'm just quoting a statistic I've previously read about.
Yeah I read that too. The Congrats part was a joke

Old 11-30-2010, 06:35 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,709,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Some women naturally have large breasts. I am 5'5" and was a size 8 while having DD's. It's not too uncommon, but it makes finding shirts that fit absolutely horrible.
Give me some of ur boobs pleeeease. Im dying over here!!

Old 11-30-2010, 08:25 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Australia has actually surpassed the USA as having the fattest people. Congrats!
yep - there is absolutely no coincidence

Mc Donalds simply was not everywhere up until the 90's here. There were a few, but not near the numbers now.

Same for Pizza Hut, KFC etc.

Growing up, take away was fish n chips. And that was a treat for Friday night. If we were good we could have Mc Donalds....very rare.

Now you can buy Dinner packs from Mc Donalds.. WTF?!

Old 11-30-2010, 10:56 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,898 times
It really is shameful the effect that this obesity epidemic is having on our country.

Fat is the new normal. I am starting to see commercials with morbidly obese people advertisting products, women are calling fat rolls "curves," there is a new diet out or "new" research from scientists out on a daily basis about how to lose weight, on and on and on. I am sick of it!

I would give anything for us to go back as recently as the early 1990s when most people weren't obese. When I was in high school fat was looked down upon. Now the bigger you are, the cooler you are. The most popular kids are obese, the prom queen and king are obese, the head cheerleader and the football captain are obese. It has got to stop.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:41 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
When I was in high school fat was looked down upon. Now the bigger you are, the cooler you are. The most popular kids are obese, the prom queen and king are obese, the head cheerleader and the football captain are obese. It has got to stop.
I haven't seen heavy people lauded as cool at all. Fat is still looked down upon, even by many people who are fat, which is where you get the spiraling binging/shame cycle and lots of low self-esteem.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:48 PM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,160,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Yeah I read that too. The Congrats part was a joke
I kind of thought so, but I just wasn't sure!

[quote]=Ozgal]
**Originally Posted by sophialee
Australia has actually surpassed the USA as having the fattest people. Congrats!**

yep - there is absolutely no coincidence

Mc Donalds simply was not everywhere up until the 90's here. There were a few, but not near the numbers now.

Same for Pizza Hut, KFC etc.

Growing up, take away was fish n chips. And that was a treat for Friday night. If we were good we could have Mc Donalds....very rare.

Now you can buy Dinner packs from Mc Donalds.. WTF?! {/QUOTE]
Yeah, I know! It's bloody ridiculous. I'm glad we currently live in an area where the nearest fast food joint of any kind is a 6 hour drive away. I can take it or leave it these days, my junk of choice when we go to town is SubWay, but I think probably the best of a bad lot. I do eat McD and the others from time to time, if that's what hubbys wanting, but I notice more and more how it affects me later.

[quote=new2colo] It really is shameful the effect that this obesity epidemic is having on our country.

Fat is the new normal. I am starting to see commercials with morbidly obese people advertisting products, women are calling fat rolls "curves," there is a new diet out or "new" research from scientists out on a daily basis about how to lose weight, on and on and on. I am sick of it!

I would give anything for us to go back as recently as the early 1990s when most people weren't obese. When I was in high school fat was looked down upon. Now the bigger you are, the cooler you are. The most popular kids are obese, the prom queen and king are obese, the head cheerleader and the football captain are obese. It has got to stop
.[quote]

I don't think fat is the new normal, I just think it's becoming so prevalent that people are no longer taken by suprise to see a fat person. And of course the diet industry is a mutilbillion dollar industry cash cow, so yeah, there is daily "research" and all these "new and improved" ways to lose weight. I believe WW is coming out with something in January, a new and improved version. Now I think to myself, WW has always heralded themselves as "a program that WORKS", so I have to wonder why ,if it's so great and WORKS, why does it need continuous tweaking? (Because in fat and weight loss there is more to it than intake/output, that's why, but that is a whole different post. ).

When I was in school (grade, middle, high and college) fat was looked down upon. It still is. Everywhere I go, I'm guaranteed to get nasty looks or comments. I have noticed that people don't seem to stare anymore, they tend to save that for people with major obesity issues, which is still wrong IMO. Staring is rude and it helps nothing. So I can not agree at all with your statement that now the bigger you are the cooler you are and that the most popular kids are obese, the prom queen and king are obese, the head cheerleaders and football captain are obese. And that it has to stop.

I think it sounds more like you think that obese people don't deserve to be cool or be popular, to be queen/king of the prom or head of the squad/team. It sounds like out and out fat hate, and that fat people shouldn't be allowed to be placed in a position of perceived social superiority. I really hope I am wrong and that I am misunderstanding your post. Please don't read this as a flame or a way of starting an argument. It's not. I'm just posting an observation.

I too agree that overweight and obesity needs to be reigned in, because it is out of control, but I think considering how fast it's growing and spreading (no pun intended ) people are going to have to accept that it's not just specifically the individuals fault anymore. I still maintain that all the crap that is in food nowdays is changing the way our bodies react and I don't doubt that many additives are addictive, creating people who, like junkies, may desperately want to "get clean" but can not because they are in fact addicted. I personally feel this is intentional, in order to feed the cash cow, but I fully admit to being a conspiracy theorist.

People say that quitting smoking and drinking and doing drugs is the hardest thing to kick. I will not deny that it must be horribly terribly hard and I have the utmost respect for people who are able to get and remain clean and sober. I have nothing but sympathy for people who get clean but can not stay that way.
But, I will go out on a limb (that I am sure to get shot down from, within a few posts probably) and say that losing weight and keeping it off is far far harder than ANY of those addictions, for the simple reason that you do not NEED cigarettes, alcohol or drugs to survive. But you do need food. If you're addicted to it, then it's really hard to give it up or stay clean while actively partaking in it because you have to, that you can not live if you don't.

Don't get me wrong. I'm don't think there is one single thing or person to point fingers at when it comes to weight issues. It's no longer a case of no willpower or inner strength. It's not ignorance or denial. Those things are in play, but there are other things also in play that affect as well.

sorry...early morning rambling again!

Old 02-26-2011, 10:26 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,284,688 times
I hate the fat people trend, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty