Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 03:45 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,038 times

Advertisements

I live in an area where there is a LOT of snow and very low wind chills.

No way I'm going to wear a skirt in this weather! I'll get frostbite!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 04:23 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
If American men were more chivalrous, perhaps American women would wear dresses and skirts more often. It's no easy task navigating an airport, often with your kids, lugging the bags and wheeling the carts - in heels and a skirt. Carry those bags and mind those babies for us and maybe we'll put a dress on for you guys.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:54 PM

93 posts, read 358,453 times
To be fair to the men-folk, though, they are a lot more chivalrous when we wear skirts and dress modestly. I get treated with a lot more respect when I dress and carry myself as a lady.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:14 PM

236 posts, read 860,090 times
**BUMP**

Why not? The only time I wear skirts is when I'm playing tennis and when I'm going to formal functions--- not even, dress pants!

I'm more comphy in my jeans. I can't do anything in skirts/dresses. There's no freedom with them, IMO. Also, I'm usually colder with my legs all exposed to the elements!

I do like the way dresses and skirts look, but I'll hardly ever wear them.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:28 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,897 times
I actually like wearing skirts, even now in winter, I just wear tights or something but pants are obviously way more practical for most times. I wear skirts if I want to look or feel cute or I'm just in the mood, but wearing pants is really more comfortable and just more practical for boring everyday life.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:06 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,217,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
When I was people watching at the airport recently, I noticed that the overwhelming majority of women, even older women were wearing pants. Do pants feel more comfortable than skirts? Why don't more women wear skirts? Is it a matter of staying warm?
It's because women no longer desire to be feminine. It's a tragedy.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:55 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,749 times
Marilyn Monroe wore jeans and a shirt in a Western and she looked plenty feminine. Look, men look more attractive in a suit, the way women look more attractive in a dress, it's the "dressing up" thing that makes people look better. All women want to look feminine, just like men want to look masculine. But if some man tells me I ain't sexy in my flannels at home, well he can go jump in a lake.

I remember when I was in high school in the 1960s, women were not allowed to wear pants. Well, one girl came into class with pants on a very cold winter day, and she was sent home. Myself and my girlfriends thought she was so cool for that. Eventually styles changed and it's obvious that given the choice, lots of women will indeed wear pants, altho plenty still like their dresses...but I don't think anything of it one way or the other. Also, different parts of the world have diff styles, so perhaps our original poster is from somewhere other than the United States, I don't know.

As for some posts that say how liberating it would be to wear a dress, I would like to point out that every time I wear a dress, I have to pay attention when sitting that I keep my legs together, so my underclothes won't be visible. Also, I have to wear a petticoat or slip, which is to prevent most dress materials from being see-through. And unless it's summer, I have to wear hose on my legs, and often dresses look better with heels on. Oh, women are used to it all, but for men who say it would be a freeing experience, it can be just the opposite. Dresses are rather cooler in summer, like sundresses down at the beach, and that's what I wear down there.

I liked what one poster said in this thread, that it's just pants! It's not like we're wearing an elephant on our heads, for crying out loud. And I also liked what a comedian said about women, that it doesn't matter what size they are or if they have makeup on, just put any woman in front of him and he's happy. That's my kinda man. He just likes women, no matter what the heck their "presentation." In fact, I find this whole thread a little offensive to women, because it's like something is unusual about a woman on account of what clothes she has on. Don't men want the clothes off anyway?

Old 02-12-2011, 12:11 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,874 times
its cold.

what woman in her right mind would want to purposely freeze off half their body! LOL

i love skirts and dresses- and live in them in the spring and summer. But in the winter... cover those sticks up! LOL

Old 02-13-2011, 09:18 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabe09 View Post
Maybe you guys should try wearing skirts. You might start a new trend!
One of my friends wore a kilt once with no underwear underneath. I was shocked.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:20 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishouldknow View Post
At the end of July I was picking someone up at the international terminal in Toronto. I was surprised when an Air France, Lufthansa and a KLM all came in within an hour. At least half of the women arriving were in skirts or dresses.
those ladies obviously had class and strived to look like ladies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty