Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the brand an important factor in deciding your clothes?
Yes 4 14.81%
No 23 85.19%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 06:11 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,510,433 times

Advertisements

For me, I spend a lot of my money on my clothes, and one important factor in deciding which clothing I like is the brand. Generally, I would never step in places like Abercrombie, Aeropostale, American Eagle, among others because they are widely available (but I don't really care for their designs). I usually look to more expensive brand like Zara, Ralph Lauren, H&M, 7 For All Mankind, among others because less people wear them. I also like their designs better, and they have more of a variety to choose from. My parents (especially my mom) doesn't really care to spend much money on clothes, and they think that you can make anything look nice.

Thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 06:47 PM

22,642 posts, read 47,813,230 times
I am not into name brands at all...
fit and comfort is more important to me than whose name is on my chest or butt.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:09 PM

15,158 posts, read 27,859,354 times
I'm not into brand names at all, in fact, I will NOT buy anything that has a logo. I buy on how the item looks and feels and you can feel well-made. I also look at the label to see what it's made of, etc. (on a side note, I went to H&M and Forever 21 for the first and LAST time).

Old 11-13-2010, 07:10 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,079,359 times
I don't want to wear what everybody else is wearing, but I'm not a label wh*re either. I typically shop boutique shops with stuff that isn't designer, but not everybody and their granny are wearing. I also buy from catalogs, but again, unique stuff that not everybody has. I don't care whose name is on the label as long as it is unique and looks good on me. Also, I don't really care about cost. If I like it, I want it, I'm going to buy it.

What I can't stand is everybody clad in Burberry and the like. Sure, they all spend a pretty penny - but they all look alike!

Old 11-13-2010, 07:51 PM

604 posts, read 858,160 times
You need another poll choice--"It Depends."

Would it be nice to have everything top-of-the line? Sure. But since I have a limited amount of money I have to choose wisely.

I buy my jeans from the Gap. I have no problem finding flattering styles there and frankly I rebel at the idea of $200+ jeans because, c'mon...they're jeans. I do H&M or Forever 21 for trendy stuff that's only going to last one season, and I buy it knowing it will be trashed in a few months. I generally wear khakis and polo shirts to work because I'm a chemist and I don't want to get chemicals on my expensive stuff.

Having said that, I will admit to being a label-chaser when I have to dress up, because designer clothes can be much more well-made and durable. You have to know what you're buying, though, and have some knowledge of fabric and good construction. When you know your clothes fit well, you can be a lot more relaxed. At least that's how it works for me. Also, I'm tall and better designer pants tend to be unhemmed, so they can be sewn to the right length. I have my go-to outfits for when I have to dress up for work or an evening out. My best suits are all the same designer because his tailoring fits me perfectly. Nobody knows who the designer is unless I tell them, which I never would because that's tacky. I have a couple of bags that again, you'd probably never know they're designer because they aren't plastered all over with the designer's logo. (I'm also a shoe hound, but that's for another thread.)

I guess my point is that when I have to dress really nice, I like designer stuff because I can buy things that are better made and more durable, and hence a better value, than something that saves me a few dollars in the short run. At the same time, I don't wear things with obvious designer labels on them because I'm not wearing them to impress people, I'm wearing them because they're comfortable and durable.

Twinkle Toes, I once saw a woman in the Las Vegas airport dressed in logo'd Louis Vuitton everything--head scarf, shades, track suit, jewelry, luggage, shoes--she looked like she'd been hit by the Vuitton bus! And I'm with you--if I like it and I want it, I'm buying it.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:39 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,406,074 times
I used but not anymore. Gap, Express, BR, etc., aren't extremely expensive but it's on the borderline. I know that quality is important so I try to be wise about it, but if it's like comparing brands then probably so...Trying to be smart about what I buy these days. The only stores that I will never shop is A&F, A&E, and Hollister. I'm in Aero, F21, CR, Wet Seal, and H&M from time to time.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:06 PM

42,000 posts, read 75,350,589 times
I wear what fits and looks good on me, regardless of brand.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:37 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,887,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Kittens View Post
Agreed.

I also refuse to be a walking billboard for any company so if something has a huge logo that can be seen at a hundred yards then it is definitely going to be off limits. Clothes without any logos is preferred.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:51 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,214,405 times
Fit and quality trump label. Tho yesterday I came home with about 10 pieces of Ralph Lauren courtesy of a massive 70% off sale at Macys. Very nice, classic type of stuff.

Tho I originally went shopping for something I didn't find. A pair of khakis that do not have that stupid spandex stuff in them, just regular 100% cotton. Does anyone make them? Even Dockers have gone the stretchy route. Who decided that was a good thing? I hate that after about an hour all the pants get baggy.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:02 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,079,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Kittens View Post

Would it be nice to have everything top-of-the line? Sure. But since I have a limited amount of money I have to choose wisely.

I buy my jeans from the Gap. I have no problem finding flattering styles there and frankly I rebel at the idea of $200+ jeans because, c'mon...they're jeans. I do H&M or Forever 21 for trendy stuff that's only going to last one season, and I buy it knowing it will be trashed in a few months. I generally wear khakis and polo shirts to work because I'm a chemist and I don't want to get chemicals on my expensive stuff.

Having said that, I will admit to being a label-chaser when I have to dress up, because designer clothes can be much more well-made and durable. You have to know what you're buying, though, and have some knowledge of fabric and good construction. When you know your clothes fit well, you can be a lot more relaxed. At least that's how it works for me. Also, I'm tall and better designer pants tend to be unhemmed, so they can be sewn to the right length. I have my go-to outfits for when I have to dress up for work or an evening out. My best suits are all the same designer because his tailoring fits me perfectly. Nobody knows who the designer is unless I tell them, which I never would because that's tacky. I have a couple of bags that again, you'd probably never know they're designer because they aren't plastered all over with the designer's logo. (I'm also a shoe hound, but that's for another thread.)

I guess my point is that when I have to dress really nice, I like designer stuff because I can buy things that are better made and more durable, and hence a better value, than something that saves me a few dollars in the short run. At the same time, I don't wear things with obvious designer labels on them because I'm not wearing them to impress people, I'm wearing them because they're comfortable and durable.

Twinkle Toes, I once saw a woman in the Las Vegas airport dressed in logo'd Louis Vuitton everything--head scarf, shades, track suit, jewelry, luggage, shoes--she looked like she'd been hit by the Vuitton bus! And I'm with you--if I like it and I want it, I'm buying it.
There's a lady - a fellow lawyer - who I see in court all the time. She is just like the LV lady, except this one was hit by the Chanel bus! She is head to toe Chanel - glasses, clothes, purse, shoes - you name it! The running joke is that her tampons are probably emblazoned with the Chanel logo too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty