Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 08:41 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

My mother wears them on formal occasions, but otherwise wears 'american' clothes.

I think the op should wear what she wants and not think too much about what other people think of her attire.

Yeah, that woman in the first post...wow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 09:59 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My mother wears them on formal occasions, but otherwise wears 'american' clothes.

I think the op should wear what she wants and not think too much about what other people think of her attire.

Yeah, that woman in the first post...wow!
I understand...Kinda hard when you're people-oriented. Care too much about what people think.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:06 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
I understand...Kinda hard when you're people-oriented. Care too much about what people think.

He who trims himself to suit everyone will soon whittle himself away. ~Raymond Hull

Old 02-07-2014, 12:58 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,412 times
Usually it's the older immigrants or new immigrants who still wear saris, but they're mainly worn for special occasions like weddings, to temple, or family gatherings. I don't mind to see them, and the younger people usually don't wear them. I am fond of Indian tunics myself which look like Indian clothes but they aren't saris.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:19 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
I think they are beautiful, but I wouldn't have a Scooby how to wear one.

I mean I get tangled up in just a t shirt and yoga pants, lol! There is NO WAY I would land on my tuckus trying to wrap yards of fabric around me in a pleasant and attractive covering fashion, lol!

But man, I wish I could!

Old 02-07-2014, 05:23 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
My mom wears them to the temple. But while going to work, she always wears a long sleeve blouse with dress pants. Add a raincoat if its rainy or Trench coat if its below 45 F. Sarees are really not apt for our freezing cold weather 4 months a year. But all I can say is that mom loves wearing them in public. When I lived in India, she wore them everyday .

Old 02-21-2014, 07:58 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,586 times
I think they're beautiful. That lady is gorgeous!

Old 02-21-2014, 08:10 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ho hey! View Post
I'm wondering what would you think if you see a random person wearing sarees in public? Personally, I don't mind wearing sarees in public (only warm climates) and I think they're very beautiful. I really like them and I think I might purchase some in the future. Probably a couple to just wear for the heck of it. There are some casual and non-casual ones. Do you know people (besides Asian Indians) wearing Sarees in public? For those who don't know what sarees are, here is a quick information:

Here are some pictures of Aishwarya Rai in Sarees.

Here are the rest of the pictures of Aishwarya Rai in Sarees.
This is america, we frequently steal things from other cultures. I probably wouldn't care.

But, to be fair, the sari, as a cultural dress, particularly in India, is tied to cultural issues of class and caste. You should know that many might be offended by someone wearing it with no awareness of its meaning (particularly that many find it a symbol of Indian Independence in the face of the British Empire).

Old 02-21-2014, 08:22 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
This is america, we frequently steal things from other cultures. I probably wouldn't care.

But, to be fair, the sari, as a cultural dress, particularly in India, is tied to cultural issues of class and caste. You should know that many might be offended by someone wearing it with no awareness of its meaning (particularly that many find it a symbol of Indian Independence in the face of the British Empire).
There are several types of sarees my mom wears, and each one is for a special occasion. Mom lived near Kancheepuram, the holy grail of silk sarees . Saree selection for specific festivals is in itself an intensive activity for women. As a small kid, I could only imagine being hopelessly bored to death for hours as my mom dragged me along while going to emporiums for saree selections . Hey, atleast the emporium was near a train station = HUGE PLUS POINT. As I got older, I would sneak away into the train station and do some Railfanning.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:41 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Those were fancy saris. I had a few customers who wore plain cotton ones. No one thought anything about it. I had one customer who wore all sorts of things -- you never knew what she'd walk in wearing from day to day. From plain saris to British Artful Dodger, to motorcycle mama in leather from top to bottom. She was a hoot! And the rare times the husband would come in with her -- you could see he adored her to pieces. It wasn't common to see couples argue at your teller window, but it happened enough that when you saw a couple so obviously in love, it was wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty