Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 09:33 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,028,068 times

Advertisements

Maybe it is where I live, but in my medium sized Midwestern city I have noticed a style of clothing with younger people. It seems it has become fashionable to wear slippers and pajamas everywhere, or pajamas and Ugg boots.

I don't dress fancy, nor am I old (30s), but it takes the same amount of time to put on pants and a shirt.

Anyway, I don't really care. Well, other than looking at pretty girls who don't dress like cr*p, which is more difficult in my land of frumpiness.

Just an observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 09:39 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,536,124 times
Kids today! Argh! : shakes fist :

Take heart. Every generation has its sloppy phase. They'll grow up and start combing their hair, don't worry.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:49 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,611,214 times
Please stop worrying about what other people have on! Don't you have better things to do with your time?

Most younger people aren't wealthy. Have you ever considered that their frumpy clothes might be all they can afford or are willing to spend on clothes? Would you prefer people to run into massive credit card debt to look presentable for you?

Some mornings I will run into the Wal-Mart without my hair combed or brushed, with some old sweatpants thrown over the clothes I wore the night before, with some house shoes on my feet. I am comfortable and that's all that matters.

As long as my goods aren't showing and I don't smell, what's the problem?

Old 12-01-2010, 07:43 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,978,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Maybe it is where I live, but in my medium sized Midwestern city I have noticed a style of clothing with younger people. It seems it has become fashionable to wear slippers and pajamas everywhere, or pajamas and Ugg boots.

I don't dress fancy, nor am I old (30s), but it takes the same amount of time to put on pants and a shirt.

Anyway, I don't really care. Well, other than looking at pretty girls who don't dress like cr*p, which is more difficult in my land of frumpiness.

Just an observation.
yea, me too.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:16 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,829,752 times
It's probably just a phase, at least the pajama part. I used to see a lot of pajamas on girls, but not so much anymore. However, Ugg boots, and boots of all kinds are still really big---I even see girls wearing Uggs with shorts. To me that's a pretty funny look, but to each his own.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:41 PM

19,574 posts, read 20,016,492 times
Most the people I see wearing frumpy pajamas in public are not pretty girls! So, I guess consider yourself lucky! lmao

Old 12-01-2010, 03:42 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,113,797 times
I see a lot of pajamas in public, but as long as people don't harass me about what I wear, I could care less about what other people wear.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:21 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,380,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Please stop worrying about what other people have on! Don't you have better things to do with your time?

Most younger people aren't wealthy. Have you ever considered that their frumpy clothes might be all they can afford or are willing to spend on clothes? Would you prefer people to run into massive credit card debt to look presentable for you?

Some mornings I will run into the Wal-Mart without my hair combed or brushed, with some old sweatpants thrown over the clothes I wore the night before, with some house shoes on my feet. I am comfortable and that's all that matters.

As long as my goods aren't showing and I don't smell, what's the problem?
^^^ To play devil's advocate, the Ugg boots mentioned by the OP run upwards of $120 so the "broke" factor doesn't cut it.

Sometimes, I think people just like to look sloppy. They like to dress comfy and see famous celebs doing it all the time.

I can honestly say I've never worn pajamas in public nor have I EVER gone in public without makeup on. Not once.

But, times they are a changin' for me. I've got twins on the way and predict that my own personal appearance will soon be taking a back seat. Meaning I'll probably care as little about my own appearance as I do about other's. I have gotten a little sloppier over the past few weeks/months only because NONE of my pants fit me except my super-sized cargos. At least they are Ann Taylor, right?

Still, I will NEVER wear pj's in public and applaud stores that prohibit them (this is becoming popular in the UK). I think wearing bed clothes in public and then returning to bed in them later in the day is disgusting. Who knows what germs are lurking on the cuffs of the pants. Ew.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:28 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,290,566 times
Yes...I am 35 (I live more like I'm 25 and I look it so far thank god)

But i do believe in putting some effort into your appearance. You don't have to look like a million dollars, but even poor people put on clean clothes that aren't wrinkled.

I'd like to see society go back to a point where some decorum was the standard in appearance (not 1950s level...but we have gone too far)

Old 12-01-2010, 04:48 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,061,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
^^^ To play devil's advocate, the Ugg boots mentioned by the OP run upwards of $120 so the "broke" factor doesn't cut it.
There's imitation Ugg boots now available at Wal Mart for $20 and all sorts of variations of them.
Doesn't make sense for folks to wear them in South Texas (where I live) as we haven't had any good amount of snow in 20-something years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty