Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:02 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
A strapless black and white polka dot mini dress and a pink clutch purse the same colour as the shoes mmmmmm girl it looks great if I do say so m’self!!!
Perfect!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
I had no idea heeled footwear was originally for both sexes. learn something new everyday
Louis XIV is wearing them in this portrait.
Portrait of Louis XIV 1701 Hyacinthe Rigaud | Oil Painting Reproduction

Old 12-08-2010, 09:50 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Sneakers and levis arent going to help me seen as serious by potential clients, they expect to see me as a professional.......and I like how I look in heels.
If you are in interior design, you can still be trendy and casual.
Have a great pair of modern sneaker type of shoes, khaki pants, creative top, cute accessories such as earrings and purse.
If I had to hire an interior designer and she was wearing high heels, I would probably not hire her if they were too high. I would imagine the person I would need to hire would need to be comfortable (I would be worried about her falling) and trendy to be able get things done.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
If you are in interior design, you can still be trendy and casual.
Have a great pair of modern sneaker type of shoes, khaki pants, creative top, cute accessories such as earrings and purse.
If I had to hire an interior designer and she was wearing high heels, I would probably not hire her if they were too high. I would imagine the person I would need to hire would need to be comfortable (I would be worried about her falling) and trendy to be able get things done.
You dont know a whole lot about high-end interior design, I take it?
When one is going on a first interview with the owner of a 5 million dollar house, sneakers and khakis dont cut it.
That would be akin to wearing the same stuff on an interview to be the CEO of a Fortune 500 company.
I'm not talking about wearing heels after the contract has been signed, but before.
Who wants an interior designer that looks like a schlump?
As I said before, I am selling myself first, then my design work.
I'm not the one installing the lighting, you know......

Old 12-08-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
You dont know a whole lot about high-end interior design, I take it?
When one is going on a first interview with the owner of a 5 million dollar house, sneakers and khakis dont cut it.
That would be akin to wearing the same stuff on an interview to be the CEO of a Fortune 500 company.
I'm not talking about wearing heels after the contract has been signed, but before.
Who wants an interior designer that looks like a schlump?
As I said before, I am selling myself first, then my design work.
I'm not the one installing the lighting, you know......
High end interior design is not an interest of mine.
You never know if the owner of that $5 million dollar is looking for as they may be down to earth folks.
The design work should speak for itself. Look at all the fashion designers out there who dress very plainly but their clothing is awesome. Just another way to think of it is all.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:57 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,830,866 times
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and here is mine. I worked as a paralegal for a number of years. Part of the expectation in a professional workplace is that an employee looks professional. Nice dresses, suits, skirt and pant combinations, etc. You have to dress the part. There is lots of room for individuality today, but khakis, flats, runners, etc, just don't cut it. Why risk being reprimanded or sent home because you choose to dress improperly. Personally I love heels--I developed the love from my Mom, who is anything but a ho. She is a very lovely, secure, and well-dressed lady.

I'll wear heels when and how I please. I dress to suit my work environment, because it's considered part of "the fit". Sure I have some flats, etc., but they don't belong in my workplace. Same thing as sweats, runners, etc.

Seriously Northside, it's heels. Done for whatever reason. I have heard men say that they are very attracted to women who wear conservative clothing because of what it leaves to the imagination. You can't stop guys from looking. That's the world. As everyone has said (male and female), they all have different different preferences.

What do shoes have to do with looking like a "ho"? Not much IMHO. As a woman, shoes are not my voice--they are just an accessory to really have some fun with.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
High end interior design is not an interest of mine.
You never know if the owner of that $5 million dollar is looking for as they may be down to earth folks.
The design work should speak for itself. Look at all the fashion designers out there who dress very plainly but their clothing is awesome. Just another way to think of it is all.
Well, I'm doing quite well, so what I'm doing seems to be working for me.
I now have offices in Missouri and Florida.
I was taught very early on to know my customer, and I do.
I've been in business for myself for over a decade, I've been around this block more than once.
So, why is it that you are attempting to advise me in a field that you admit you have no interest in?

Old 12-08-2010, 11:00 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,167,686 times
One of the most talented designers in my area (speaks at the International Furniture Markets) and has been past president of the ASID. She dresses like a frump. Pins her hair up in a bun and wears glasses on the end of her nose but she flies all over the country and is in demand. Her portfolio is what sells her not her "look" however I agree it is a nice edge to dress very current when selling fashion but this lady is top notch but you'd never believe it if you passed her on the street! BTW she has done multi million dollar homes and even celebrity homes as well as being a buyer for celebrities homes when the market occurs! I wish I could afford her but she charges ~$300 /hr as well as an initial retainer fee of $650

Old 12-08-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
One of the most talented designers in my area (speaks at the International Furniture Markets) and has been past president of the ASID. She dresses like a frump. Pins her hair up in a bun and wears glasses on the end of her nose but she flies all over the country and is in demand. Her portfolio is what sells her not her "look" however I agree it is a nice edge to dress very current when selling fashion but this lady is top notch but you'd never believe it if you passed her on the street! BTW she has done multi million dollar homes and even celebrity homes as well as being a buyer for celebrities homes when the market occurs! I wish I could afford her but she charges ~$300 /hr as well as an initial retainer fee of $650
I know exactly of whom you are speaking, I have met her.
That works for her, my look works for me......nuff said?

Old 12-08-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
So, why is it that you are attempting to advise me in a field that you admit you have no interest in?
No advice at all; just to see it from a different view from someone not in the field is all. Have a good day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty