Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 03:46 AM

9 posts, read 20,058 times

Advertisements

i’m 5’11 and incredibly chubby ( i feel huge)
recently, a friend told me that i’m in super pretty but its the way i carry myself that is a turn off……is confidence really that important? and how do you relay it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 10:51 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,381 times
It's all about carrying your head high, making eye contact, and thanking people for compliments when they're given instead of putting yourself down! Yes, confidence is incredibly important and without it a gorgeous person can look terrible.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:32 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
Posture - always maintain great posture, no matter what size you are. Roll your shoulders back, chest up, as if pulled up with a string toward the sky, head up, smile, make eye contact. Once you start putting this into practice to LOOK confident, you will actually begin to FEEL confident. Like Kristin said - don't put yourself down, either. Maybe start doing some things to feel better about yourself - go for walks in the evenings, if you can. Just start doing little things to improve your health, and you'll start to feel better about yourself. Also remember that YOU are your own worst critic, so whatever you think about yourself, other people aren't thinking the same things. In other words - you probably aren't as bad as you make yourself out to be.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:13 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Like Twinkle says: POSTURE. I am tall too and used to schlump around, embarrassed that I towered over the other kids at school. Luckily, I started ballet and my teachers fixed that right away.

If you practice looking confident and acting confident, soon you will feel confident. People react to how you look, so they will react to your confident exterior--even when you don't feel so sure on the inside. You have gotten some great suggestions above.

Good luck!

Old 12-21-2010, 01:20 PM

914 posts, read 1,806,503 times
Even if you don't feel it, act it. Or surround yourself with beautiful people. HA.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:03 PM

19,706 posts, read 20,236,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
make eye contact. .
See, I have a real problem with this part, as people then feel compelled to actually speak to me...lol

Old 12-21-2010, 02:15 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,015,238 times
Not making eye contact to those who you don't want to bother to talk to can show confidence. It's more so making eye contact briefly but then shying away that shows hesitation and lack of assurance.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:44 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,051,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
See, I have a real problem with this part, as people then feel compelled to actually speak to me...lol

I have a keen perception into human motive, or as my wife would say, good discernment and it drivers her nuts sometimes.

One of the things I pickup on real fast is if I'm talking with a person and they make little or no eye contact. It gets my wheels turning and then I take notice of everything else they do.

Little things like if I ask a question I watch to see which way your eyes look when answering. Also how you stand and how you hold your hands will tell me a lot about them.

Even how you cross your legs when responding will give me clues into what they are saying.

busta

Old 12-21-2010, 02:48 PM

19,706 posts, read 20,236,139 times
No, see, I meant just as I am walking around somewhere. I meant eye contact with complete strangers!

When talking WITH someone I am completely tuned in with eye contact and all that biz.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:05 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,141,375 times
Posture, as well as wearing clothing that is flattering on you. There's nothing worse than someone who's good-looking that dresses sloppily or in unflattering ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty