Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be happy if a loved one got many TATTOOS all over their body?
Tattoos are cool, I would be happy if my family got them 0 0%
Having a Tattoo is a personal choice, it is their choice 31 81.58%
I would be hurt and upset if someone in my family got TATTOOS 4 10.53%
I would cut off and disavow anyone in my family who got a TATTOO 3 7.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 09:04 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
So did mine actually. After she died I had a portrait of her tattooed on my back.
If I did that I would be accused of doing it out of revenge.LOL

Old 10-13-2008, 11:13 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
I wouldnt be happy because of the unknown health problems that could occur. Reaction to dye, especially the new plastic ones, sanitation of tools (do they do it right?). I would make them get a check up until they were in the clear for disease.

Tattoo and permanent make up health risks

"What Risks Are Involved in Tattooing?
The following are the primary complications that can result from tattooing:
Infection. Unsterile tattooing equipment and needles can transmit infectious diseases,such as hepatitis. The risk of infection is the reason the American Association of Blood Banks requires a one-year wait between getting a tattoo and donating blood.
It is extremely important to make sure that all tattooing equipment is clean and sterilized before use. Even if the needles are sterilized or never have been used, it is important to understand that in some cases the equipment that holds the needles cannot be sterilized reliably due to its design. In addition, the person who receives a tattoo must be sure to care for the tattooed area properly during the first week or so after the pigments are injected.

Removal problems. Despite advances in laser technology, removing a tattoo is a painstaking process, usually involving several treatments and considerable expense. Complete removal without scarring may be impossible. See "The Most Common Problem: Dissatisfaction" and "Removal Techniques," below.

Allergic reactions.Although allergic reactions to tattoo pigments are rare, when they happen they may be particularly troublesome because the pigments can be hard to remove. Occasionally, people may develop an allergic reaction to tattoos they have had for years.

Granulomas.These are nodules that may form around material that the body perceives as foreign, such as particles of tattoo pigment.

Keloid formation. If you are prone to developing keloids -- scars that grow beyond normal boundaries -- you are at risk of keloid formation from a tattoo. Keloids may form any time you injure or traumatize your skin, and according to Office of Cosmetics and Colors (OCAC) dermatologist Ella Toombs, M.D., tattooing or micropigmentation is a form of trauma. Micropigmentation: State of the Art, a book written by Charles Zwerling, M.D., Annette Walker, R.N., and Norman Goldstein, M.D., states that keloids occur more frequently as a consequence of tattoo removal.

MRI complications. There have been reports of people with tattoos or permanent makeup who experienced swelling or burning in the affected areas when they underwent magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). This seems to occur only rarely and apparently without lasting effects.

There also have been reports of tattoo pigments interfering with the quality of the image. This seems to occur mainly when a person with permanent eyeliner undergoes MRI of the eyes. Mascara may produce a similar effect. The difference is that mascara is easily removable.

The cause of these complications is uncertain. Some have theorized that they result from an interaction with the metallic components of some pigments.

However, the risks of avoiding an MRI when your doctor has recommended one are likely to be much greater than the risks of complications from an interaction between the MRI and tattoo or permanent makeup. Instead of avoiding an MRI, individuals who have tattoos or permanent makeup should inform the radiologist or technician of this fact in order to take appropriate precautions, avoid complications, and assure the best results."

Old 10-13-2008, 11:42 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I wouldnt be happy because of the unknown health problems that could occur. Reaction to dye, especially the new plastic ones, sanitation of tools (do they do it right?). I would make them get a check up until they were in the clear for disease.

Tattoo and permanent make up health risks

"What Risks Are Involved in Tattooing?
The following are the primary complications that can result from tattooing:
Infection. Unsterile tattooing equipment and needles can transmit infectious diseases,such as hepatitis. The risk of infection is the reason the American Association of Blood Banks requires a one-year wait between getting a tattoo and donating blood.
It is extremely important to make sure that all tattooing equipment is clean and sterilized before use. Even if the needles are sterilized or never have been used, it is important to understand that in some cases the equipment that holds the needles cannot be sterilized reliably due to its design. In addition, the person who receives a tattoo must be sure to care for the tattooed area properly during the first week or so after the pigments are injected.

Removal problems. Despite advances in laser technology, removing a tattoo is a painstaking process, usually involving several treatments and considerable expense. Complete removal without scarring may be impossible. See "The Most Common Problem: Dissatisfaction" and "Removal Techniques," below.

Allergic reactions.Although allergic reactions to tattoo pigments are rare, when they happen they may be particularly troublesome because the pigments can be hard to remove. Occasionally, people may develop an allergic reaction to tattoos they have had for years.

Granulomas.These are nodules that may form around material that the body perceives as foreign, such as particles of tattoo pigment.

Keloid formation. If you are prone to developing keloids -- scars that grow beyond normal boundaries -- you are at risk of keloid formation from a tattoo. Keloids may form any time you injure or traumatize your skin, and according to Office of Cosmetics and Colors (OCAC) dermatologist Ella Toombs, M.D., tattooing or micropigmentation is a form of trauma. Micropigmentation: State of the Art, a book written by Charles Zwerling, M.D., Annette Walker, R.N., and Norman Goldstein, M.D., states that keloids occur more frequently as a consequence of tattoo removal.

MRI complications. There have been reports of people with tattoos or permanent makeup who experienced swelling or burning in the affected areas when they underwent magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). This seems to occur only rarely and apparently without lasting effects.

There also have been reports of tattoo pigments interfering with the quality of the image. This seems to occur mainly when a person with permanent eyeliner undergoes MRI of the eyes. Mascara may produce a similar effect. The difference is that mascara is easily removable.

The cause of these complications is uncertain. Some have theorized that they result from an interaction with the metallic components of some pigments.

However, the risks of avoiding an MRI when your doctor has recommended one are likely to be much greater than the risks of complications from an interaction between the MRI and tattoo or permanent makeup. Instead of avoiding an MRI, individuals who have tattoos or permanent makeup should inform the radiologist or technician of this fact in order to take appropriate precautions, avoid complications, and assure the best results."

To address the last post:

Risk of Infection:
Reputable tattoo parlors will have an independent company come out and do spore testing on their autoclaves. If this is not readily available to the public it is not a parlor you should be going to. Reputable parlors use the same equipment and sterilization procedures as doctors, dentists and veterinary clinics. Needles are single use and sterilized in individual packages. When you get a shot, do you see the nurse/doctor open the package that the needle/syringe comes in? Do they wear gloves? In most cases, no. I request it, which irritates most nurses. I also have pigment tattooed in my eyebrows. That woman used a plastic tattoo machine and to this day I am weary about my decision to let her tattoo me.

MRI Issues: I have Gaucher's Disease and I get yearly MRI, Dexa and full body xrays. I also have a full sleeve of tattoos in progress and have never once had an issue. I spoke to an MRI tech after I received my first tattoo because of the myth and she assured me that if low quality or contaminated inks are used it may be an issue but rarely is. Artists should use individual containers for each color ink which are then THROWN AWAY after they are used. If not, go somewhere else.

Keloid: I get keloid scarring ( I know, aren't I fun!) but what many fail to mention is that keloiding isn't centralized to one area. You can get a huge cut and only half will keloid and the other half will be fine. Be careful if you are prone to keloiding because one tattoo may be great, the other destroyed. I have been lucky thus far to have extremely minimal scarring on only my wrist, which is not noticed unless I point it out.

I agree with most of what was said by the poster, but it's up to the consumer to weed out the bad parlors and be informed. Request the spore tests, make sure to watch your artist to MAKE SURE they use one time use needles.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:11 PM

What?
AS soon as the sharps come out the gloves go on before the wrapper is peeled. (nurses) If they dont you should call the board of health. Thats messed up.

I only worried myself about Hep...But found the info in that link to share.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:35 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
What?
AS soon as the sharps come out the gloves go on before the wrapper is peeled. (nurses) If they dont you should call the board of health. Thats messed up.

I only worried myself about Hep...But found the info in that link to share.

That's what I thought as well... but when I went in for a Tetanus vaccination they brought in a tray with just a cap on the needle, nothing else and the nurse carrying the tray wasn't wearing gloves. Who's to say she was wearing gloves when she uncapped the needle and filled the syringe? I made her do it over, in front of me.

I self infuse, so I know the health concerns, and took a blood bourne pathogens class before I started self-infusing.

Hep doesn't bother me. My theory is that most people contracted hep from unprotected sex or sharing needles (not tattoo needles) and won't admit it. It's easy enough to blame someone else instead of their own decisions.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:20 PM

Wow..you really should report her...
Remember that big outbreak in the southwest from them re-using needles?

I just dont understand why a nurse would expose herself....stupid move.
Whos to say she didnt just use the same needle on joeblow next door and just recapped it for you!

Old 10-13-2008, 02:22 PM

The bottom line is, whether it's shots or tattoos, the equipment should be sterilized first. A good reputable shop won't mind answering questions.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:24 PM

I have had enough liars in my life...dont trust a person thats looking to make a buck off you.

;P

Old 10-13-2008, 06:54 PM

A good shop will even go out of their way to calm any fears a person may have. It all depends on how reliable the artists are.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:55 AM

27,343 posts, read 27,395,534 times
I cant tell my kids what to do after they turn 18, but as long as they dont go overboard or get some horriblle looking picture or some gang symbol, its their choice. I have a couple of small ones but am considering changing the 'not-so-easily-visible' one to another picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty