Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be happy if a loved one got many TATTOOS all over their body?
Tattoos are cool, I would be happy if my family got them 0 0%
Having a Tattoo is a personal choice, it is their choice 31 81.58%
I would be hurt and upset if someone in my family got TATTOOS 4 10.53%
I would cut off and disavow anyone in my family who got a TATTOO 3 7.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 02:30 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,536,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
A good shop will even go out of their way to calm any fears a person may have. It all depends on how reliable the artists are.

My artist was great! He would sit down, explain the implications, and refused to tattoo above the collarbone or below the elbow unless you had other work done. I wanted to get my forearm done and he said 'nope, come back when you have more work done and understand the lifestyle change you're making' 4 years later, I got my forearm done

He also explains everything (sanitation wise) as he's doing it and makes sure you understand why.

I'm so sad he moved to another state, it's been over 2 years and I have yet to find another artist that I trust as much as I trusted him

Old 10-14-2008, 04:28 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,326,226 times
There are a lot of good artists but not many who go the extra mile. I found one who will spend time during the procedure to make small talk for the entire time to take your mind off what is going on. Personality means alot also.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:49 PM

513 posts, read 893,188 times
If my children became interested in getting a tattoo I would try to encourage them to really think about the decision long and hard before they do it. It is very difficult to reverse what is done. I've seen some tasteful and discreit ones that were cute.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:15 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,326,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesnowflake View Post
If my children became interested in getting a tattoo I would try to encourage them to really think about the decision long and hard before they do it. It is very difficult to reverse what is done. I've seen some tasteful and discreit ones that were cute.
As with everything (fashions, etc.) everything can be overdone. It's a matter of moderation and taste.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:15 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,252,691 times
i'm a twenty-something and i believe that getting really upset is a justified reaction from a parent.

getting a tattoo no longer means having art cut into your skin as a way of self expression. No. Nowadays it means getting the dumbest sh-t permanently etched on these beautiful bodies God gave us just to look cool.

maybe it's just where i come from, but i've seen some really really silly tattoos. i look at the person they're on, and i fight every impulse in my body to say "you fool."

now, if you're someone who has a tattoo that truly means something to you then i'm obviously not talking about you. but take it from someone who got not 1, not 2, but 3 tats when they were only 16 years old (behind mom's back evidently). i'll regret it everyday of my life.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
i'm a twenty-something and i believe that getting really upset is a justified reaction from a parent.

getting a tattoo no longer means having art cut into your skin as a way of self expression. No. Nowadays it means getting the dumbest sh-t permanently etched on these beautiful bodies God gave us just to look cool.

maybe it's just where i come from, but i've seen some really really silly tattoos. i look at the person they're on, and i fight every impulse in my body to say "you fool."

now, if you're someone who has a tattoo that truly means something to you then i'm obviously not talking about you. but take it from someone who got not 1, not 2, but 3 tats when they were only 16 years old (behind mom's back evidently). i'll regret it everyday of my life.

Agreed completely! I've seen some horrid tattoos and thought to myself 'if you're going to get something put on you permanently... wouldn't you at least look at the artists portfolio and SEE if they're any good?'

I'd get pissed if I had a kid and they decided to get a rose on their breast, or barbed wire around their arm... choose something original! My artists eyes lit up when I told him I wanted him to draw something for me, he was so excited to be doing something artistic, instead of something taken off of the wall (flash is icky...).

Old 10-15-2008, 12:36 PM

809 posts, read 2,876,164 times
Ya know, I LOVE when people bring up the HEALTH RISKS of tattoos as a way of justifying why people SHOULDN'T get them.........

PUH LEASE!!!!!!!

There are HEALTH RISKS around you EVERY single day! Tattoo shops are some of the cleanest places I've ever walked into!

How bout this. I was out having drinks at Houlihans one night and found out a month later I was possibly exposed to Hepatitis A all because someone in that restaurant was too lazy to wash their hands before handling food and drinks!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT was disgusting! So next time you try to tell someone tattoo shops are dirty, remember that NO MATTER WHEREEEEE you go you could possibly be exposed to SOME sort of health risk! (Even when you're just innocently eating and drinking at a restaurant!) I feel more safe about my health walking into a tattoo shop where everyone is wearing gloves and taking precautions then I do about going out to eat and drink at a restaurant!

(PS: I, along with 3,000 other patrons who were potentially exposed, had to go to the local health office to get an immunoglobulin shot which hurt like HECK and was just plain a WASTE of my time all cuz some lazy fool took a crap and didn't wash their hands! GROSS!!!!!) Luckily, no one else ended up contracting it, but seriously, GROSS!

(it isn't hard to KNOW and SEE when something isn't right at a tattoo shop..... if the person isn't wearing gloves, get out, if there is no sterilizing equipment around, get out, if they are using nasty looking equipment, get out....... plain and simple........ you'll KNOW when something isn't right and if you're standing in a dirty shop. But honestly, I've NEVER walked into a shop that I considered "dirty". Every single one was clean, well maintained and every person working took every precaution necessary)

Old 10-15-2008, 01:11 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,252,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Agreed completely! I've seen some horrid tattoos and thought to myself 'if you're going to get something put on you permanently... wouldn't you at least look at the artists portfolio and SEE if they're any good?'

I'd get pissed if I had a kid and they decided to get a rose on their breast, or barbed wire around their arm... choose something original! My artists eyes lit up when I told him I wanted him to draw something for me, he was so excited to be doing something artistic, instead of something taken off of the wall (flash is icky...).
in my case, i designed mine myself. at the time if felt really good to have my own original art on me.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:59 PM

809 posts, read 2,876,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
in my case, i designed mine myself. at the time if felt really good to have my own original art on me.

same here

Old 10-17-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
same here
Me too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty