Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 06:16 PM

659 posts, read 1,759,512 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

Needing some suggestions for affordable, but high-quality make up for oily/breakout prone skin.

I've done some online searches, but the information is all over the place, so I'm hoping to hear from folks with personal experiences.

Clinique and Almay keep popping up on the radar as relatively affordable makeup for oily/breakout skin, but I'm not a user of either brand. Thoughts?

Thanks peeps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 12:55 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,310,461 times
I would check out something called BB cream. You can get it in Asia or on Ebay. I have switched over to it for my oily acne skin and haven't looked back. Sometimes don't even have to wash it off at night and I don't break out the next day. I think the best brand is Missha. It's more affordable than stuff like Estee Lauder which is the only other thing I can really wear and lasts much longer. Picking out a color might take some trial and error but you can probably get some samples before you commit. The colors kind of match to your skin also, so though it might appear to be off, it might still be okay. Has SPF, anti-wrinkle, moisturizers built in.

Amazon.com: Missha M Perfect Cover B.B. Cream SPF 42 PA+++ 23 Natural Beige, 1.69oz, 50ml: Beauty

I've experimented with a few different brands and colors of BB cream and some aren't exactly right. So I end up mixing them together so if I bought a color that is a bit off, it ends up blending in well with the other colors and matches my skintone just fine. So I didn't end up wasting anything. I dunno how the pigments in these things work but there is some leeway as it kind of adheres to your skin tone.

You might want to check some youtube videos too for reviews of BB cream.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:20 AM

501 posts, read 1,474,271 times
I've been using Almay Clear Complexion makeup for years. It contains a small percentage of salicylic acid and the colors tend to be more yellow based and neutral with excellent coverage. I'm fair but yellow toned and I use the Buff shade. It is very good for skin such as yours (and mine) and I recommend it. Clinique has a new Acne Solutions makeup out but it doesn't get as great reviews as the Almay though I haven't tried it. I was never a fan of the Clinique liquid foundations as most of them tend to oxidize and are on the pink side but it's YMMV with foundations.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:54 AM

659 posts, read 1,759,512 times
Thanks y'all! Awesome recs so far - keep 'em comin'! I'm doing some make up shopping this week!

Old 01-16-2011, 01:04 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Avon products have a wide range of makeup & skin care products for all skin types with a 100% money back policy if you don't like the product.

My wife has sold Avon for 37 yrs and has helped many women solve skin care issues many times. See if you can find a well experienced Avon Representative in your area.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:18 AM

292 posts, read 1,244,202 times
I have very oily skin and I'm a big fan of mineral makeup (as I so tactfully put it, "my skin makes its own gravy"). I figure the fewer ingredients, the less stuff there is for my oily skin to react to and cause to turn pink/orange or slide off my face. There are some online mineral makeup companies that cost less than the bigger names that are in department and specialty stores, as well as some etsy.com sellers that produce mineral makeup. Also, if you have a difficult shade to match (as I do with olive tones), often online sellers have more colors. The nice thing is, too, that you can mix the mineral pigments into your moisturizer and make a tinted moisturizer or add other pigments to customize the shade, which is harder to do with traditional liquid makeup.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:06 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
I would be cautious about applying "treatment" products to oily skin, and make sure it's not perpetuating the problem. Here's what I mean:

Sebum is naturally secreted by glands in the skin, to protect the skin from damage. This is what people refer to as "oil." It's not really oil, it's a waxy secretion. It comes up through the pores. If the pores are clogged, the oil builds up underneath, and erupts as a zit. If there's an infection beneath the surface, it erupts as an oozy acne zit.

If you attempt to -remove- the oil through harsh chemicals (such as salicylic acid, aka aspirin), then your oil glands will do something akin to freaking out. They'll say, "LET US MAKE MOAR!" and they'll produce MORE oil to make up for the loss. That's in addition to the usual, healthy amount they produce. So you end up with oily skin that is bad enough you need to "do" something about it, which causes your skin to become more oily, which requires you to do something about it again, and so on and so forth.

What you might try first, before going the medicated/treatment route (I mean even just cosmetic counter skin care for acne-prone people), would be to follow sound cleansing techniques.

1. Wash your HANDS. Putting dirty hands on your face when it's cleaning time is going to just make matters worse.
2. Use a gentle, UNscented, UNmedicated cleansing cream (you're gonna rinse this off - why would you want to pay for it to be medicated?) and slightly warm water (never use hot water if you're acne prone).
3. Do NOT use a skin scrub. Massage the cream onto your skin, then rinse it off thoroughly.
4. Rinse again, with cooler water. Then let the air dry your face.

Flip your pillow over every other night, and change your pillowcase every other night.

If you use hairspray or gel or other hair treatments applied after washing, use a cotton ball with warm water to wipe any residue from the hair treatments off your face.

USE moisturizer. Oily skin needs moisturizer too and if your skin is too dehydrated, it will produce more oil to compensate for the lack of water. You can use an oil-free moisturizer, but the most important things to avoid are synthetic oils and perfumes, and animal fats. So no petroleum/petrolatum/mineral oil, no lanolin, no emu oil. If the ingredients list the word "fragrance" then it means synthetic perfume. If they list "essential oil of..." "infusion of..." or "...hydrosol" then it's a natural plant-derived scent and should be fine (in some cases it's actually beneficial, as in lavender or patchouli).

If these things don't show an improvement within a couple of weeks, then you'd know you might benefit from some of the medicated products on the market. I'd totally go the "clean and moisturize" route first though.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:27 AM

532 posts, read 1,176,984 times
Physician's Formula is pretty good quality for the price. I have oily, acne prone skin and I use their loose powder as a foundation and it gives good coverage. It also lasts FOREVER. I had the same pot of powder for months. You can adjust the amount of coverage you want very easily. My friend actually wears this foundation when she does her burlesque shows, and anybody that knows burlesque knows it can be sweaty and tiring. She recommended PF for me because she uses it and it doesn't wear off even after she does her shows.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:44 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
Just make sure any liquid foundation you buy is "water-based"....and use a transluscent powder to 'set" your makeup....that really keeps things put and cuts down on shine!

Old 01-17-2011, 11:19 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,982,648 times
Estee Lauder extended wear makeup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty