Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2011, 09:46 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,155,125 times

Advertisements

Anyone else have this problem? Getting older and my already smallish eyes seem to be getting smaller (I wear makeup). Do glasses (for nearsightedness) make eyes appear larger or are contacts better? Seems like glasses are better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 10:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Lenses that treat myopia generally serve to diminish the appearance of the size of one's eyes (depending on how strong the prescription is, the more or less this will be the case). The farsighted people are the ones whose eyes are magnified by glasses lenses. Contacts will not have the same effect of making your eyes look smaller. But if you are nearsighted, your glasses are NOT going to magnify your eyes, they'll have the opposite effect (possibly negligible, though, if your prescription isn't a strong one.

The main arguments for wearing glasses over contacts are typically comfort reasons (as a person with dry eyes, I can seldom wear contacts comfortably for more than a couple of hours at a time), and just personal preference, liking how you look in glasses.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:17 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Lenses that treat myopia generally serve to diminish the appearance of the size of one's eyes (depending on how strong the prescription is, the more or less this will be the case). The farsighted people are the ones whose eyes are magnified by glasses lenses. Contacts will not have the same effect of making your eyes look smaller. But if you are nearsighted, your glasses are NOT going to magnify your eyes, they'll have the opposite effect (possibly negligible, though, if your prescription isn't a strong one.

The main arguments for wearing glasses over contacts are typically comfort reasons (as a person with dry eyes, I can seldom wear contacts comfortably for more than a couple of hours at a time), and just personal preference, liking how you look in glasses.
Agree.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:46 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
I'm 56 years old and wore contacts for about 20 years until I reached my early 40's and my eyes became more dry and horribly uncomfortable. Eyeglasses have become so comfortable compared to what I began with at age 8. You must go and try on several pairs and I am sure you will find something that you will like and on some of the websites, you can put your picture on and do virtual try on. I actually order my glasses online and save big money since we don't have insurance for such. When wearing contacts, I found issues with the many products irritating my eyes and some even ate holes in the contacts and what must it have been doing to my eyes? I really believe that you'll find eyeglasses that will play up the size of your eyes if you try a variety of styles. I went back to plastic frames and love them!

Old 02-10-2011, 05:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I love glasses. I look a million times better with them than without. My boyfriend agrees...I have contacts for when I have special, "up-do and dangly earrings" type events, but I wear them so sparingly that 6 months' supply lasts me like three years. Given that I have astigmatism and toric lenses, which are $$$, this is a good thing.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:23 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,155,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I'm 56 years old and wore contacts for about 20 years until I reached my early 40's and my eyes became more dry and horribly uncomfortable. Eyeglasses have become so comfortable compared to what I began with at age 8. You must go and try on several pairs and I am sure you will find something that you will like and on some of the websites, you can put your picture on and do virtual try on. I actually order my glasses online and save big money since we don't have insurance for such. When wearing contacts, I found issues with the many products irritating my eyes and some even ate holes in the contacts and what must it have been doing to my eyes? I really believe that you'll find eyeglasses that will play up the size of your eyes if you try a variety of styles. I went back to plastic frames and love them!
Thanks for the info! Knew about the virtual hairstyle websites but not about any for eyeglasses--would be hesitant to order online but I no longer have vivision insurance either.

I switched to eyeglasses a couple of years ago when we moved to the dusty & windy SW. Trying to decide whether glasses or contacts look better on me for special occasions. Might be time to change to plastic frames. Maybe I'm just getting so old and wrinkly at 59 it doesn't matter which!

Old 02-11-2011, 08:39 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
I don't mind wearing glasses but my eyes get so tired! They don't get nearly so tired with contacts. I don't know why but after a few hours in glasses my eyes are stinging....I can wear contacts for more than 12 hours with no ill effects but glasses? Not so much.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:08 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,695 times
Interesting responses. I have spent so much money on toric lenses, and my eyes look and feel sore in contacts. My night vision is positively scary in contacts as well. I really like glasses, I have a really high prescription, but lots of different styles and find them really fun. I always had a problem with contacts falling out too. I am definitely staying with glasses.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:49 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
I've always had a pretty high prescription (-10, -10.5) and contacts were always muuuuch more comfortable than my heavy glasses. Before I got lasik, I measured the thickness of my lenses: 1/3" thick. Because of their weight, glasses have never been fun or "cool". Plus, those monster glasses have always made my eyes look very, very small... like super-deformed small.

When I put contacts in for the first time, my eyes appeared huge.

I've used both toric lenses and non-toric contacts. I got the best comfort out of Air Optix Night & Day (formerly Focus Night & Day) because I could sleep in them. I'd never had a single problem with them falling out - even on a roller coaster.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:00 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I just got glasses, I did not even think about contact lenses...I don't like putting things in my eyes. I don't really care about the cosmetics, I just wanted to be able to read again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty