Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 06:03 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,422,144 times

Advertisements

I'm talking Europe here.

All the models without exception are tall and slender. They have to be otherwise they don't get accepted.
I think they are missing the boat here. While most of them are attractive, for mine variety is the spice of life.
Now while I'm not suggesting having overweight or obese models, more variety would give it more appeal. A little more meat on the bones would be ok.
Pretty much all the women are small breasted, again they are mostly attractive. But why not have some larger chested women as well, to mix it up.
Same goes for height, women a little shorter women would add some more variety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 06:49 AM

236 posts, read 859,880 times
In my opinion it's not about the models, it's about the designers. If they don't want short, busty women then they won't choose short busty women. It's about what they want. It's their fashion and they can use whoever they please.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with short busty women, I'm just saying it's not about them. I was watching America's Next Top Model a couple days ago, and this designer didn't want this girl because she was 5'8(she wasn't tall enough). She wasn't in his ideal fashion range, other than her height she would've been perfect.

And besides models have to be tall and skinny, because everyone knows models are just walking talking hangers.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:50 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Are you talking about runway models? I think most fashion models are very thin because they are walking clothes hangers. They are there to show off the clothes. If you watch one of those shows, the women are usually expressionless. They don’t smile and many are not even particularly pretty.

As for why they don’t mix in other body types ... Have you ever watched gymnastics or ice skating on TV? The athletes are tiny, and even the men are very short. In that world, though, they look normal. But bring in a couple of regular-sized spectators, and holy mackerel, they look gigantic. I remember when Oksana Baiul took a year off or whatever from skating, and she grew several inches. She came back and towered over the other skaters, plus her weight gain was all the more obvious.

If you are with a bunch of size 2 models and you are a size 8, which is a perfectly respectable size in real life, you are going to look chunky. And if you are also only 5'4" while they are 5'10", you are going to look short and squat.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:05 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,364 times
So-called fashion models are twigs and are not exactly the ideal of beauty for most men. They're the ideal for homosexuals who run the fashion industry.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:20 AM

236 posts, read 859,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
So-called fashion models are twigs and are not exactly the ideal of beauty for most men. They're the ideal for homosexuals who run the fashion industry.

Probably because it's not about the men. It's about the designer and the clothes. Think about it, when you see a super model on the runway you don't care about her, you care about the clothes she's wearing. You could care less about the 6 foot, 90lb girl in the Prada.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:14 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,673,430 times
they dont want to model to overshadow the clothes... think about it- having a petite, normal sized cutie in a couture dress- everyone going to be saying what a cutie and not looking at the dress.

choose a taller, normal sized good looking woman with real curves (not fat, curves you know, boobs, hips, behind) and the same thing- everyone will be looking at her.

by getting waifs that (for the most part, imo) arent even all that attractive- the focus is on the clothes and not the girl.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:18 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,647,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaPanda♥ View Post
Probably because it's not about the men. It's about the designer and the clothes. Think about it, when you see a super model on the runway you don't care about her, you care about the clothes she's wearing. You could care less about the 6 foot, 90lb girl in the Prada.
So why have models at all if you are only going to showcase the designer and the clothes? Just get a revolving clotheshanger belt instead. Or use mannequins

Old 02-13-2011, 05:08 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,422,144 times
Its about sex appeal, sex sells. I think with more variety in the models, it would give the whole package more appeal.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:14 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Who are they designing for, anorexics or normal women? Or maybe their egos?

Old 02-13-2011, 05:15 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
I'm talking Europe here.

All the models without exception are tall and slender. They have to be otherwise they don't get accepted.
I think they are missing the boat here. While most of them are attractive, for mine variety is the spice of life.
Now while I'm not suggesting having overweight or obese models, more variety would give it more appeal. A little more meat on the bones would be ok.
Pretty much all the women are small breasted, again they are mostly attractive. But why not have some larger chested women as well, to mix it up.
Same goes for height, women a little shorter women would add some more variety.
There is a reason why high-fashion models are shaped that way. When they walk down the runway, nobody is really paying attention to them. It's about the clothes. They don't want the models to take away from the silhouette and the way it will LOOK ON THE HANGER at the end of the day.

Also, let's not forget that there are plus size and petite models that work in the industry. Those models usually work behind the scenes as "fit models". If a company has a division that produces special sizes, they hire those models.

For the question, why do they need the models at all....well, it helps to see how the clothes move on a human body. Is the V-neck too low? Is the waist too high? Where does it hit her on her body....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty