Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2011, 10:34 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
An anorexic, bullimic, or otherwise "thin-obsessed" or hormonally challenged, or meth-addicted person finally getting wise to the reality of health and GAINING some weight?

Someone who was horribly scarred by some tragedy of life, and was fortunate enough to get some skin grafting and heal?

Someone with deformities that were surgically removed or repaired?

Someone who was fine looking before, fine looking now, but FEELS better about themselves now, has more self-confidence now, and radiates that inner beauty, that she may have lacked 10 years prior.
So you are talking about someone with an illness/sickness or terrible physical tragedy then. This is NOT what the article is about and NOT what the thread is about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 10:44 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
I personally find 35yo gals to just be sexier than 25. I'm 40 and but I've felt that way when I was 30 etc. too. Anyway, the important lesson to this thread is that there is no one right answer and personal preferences range a very very wide span.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:51 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,284,688 times
Be supportive, not in the box or sexist. Encourage her to eat well, buy her skincare, let her go to a spa, let her spend her own money on herself.....help her with pms & any stress she has...... it's all related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereorob View Post
god i hope thats not true. mine wife is 31..

Old 02-26-2011, 10:51 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Weare not talkig about the exception really but what has been known fro holywood to fashion circles for deacdes. The same can be said of anythig where attraction competes. You also don't see older men as male strippers. We are not talkig anyhting but physical attraction here. Iwould say the same for men especailly for their physical atributes I will not mention.No one need kid themselves on this.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:06 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,310,461 times
I think aging is just a matter of three things: genetics (how durable and elastic your skin is, your bone structure which determines which lines you might have on your face), overall health, and environment (sun damage, climate). Genetics is the strongest unchangeable factor, while the sun is the most avoidable factor.

My mom who is 62 has maybe a few fine wrinkles around her eyes, and a tiny bit of droop in her nasolabial fold (postmenopausal). My aunts who are in their 50s (pre-menopausal) all look about 25-35... minimal wrinkles, no facial droop. I think it is pretty freaky. I smoked, had bad health, and ate crappy foods so I don't think I will be so lucky. It is very true that not all people would age equally. 35 is not the magic age. If you think about it, human lifespan used to be 35. It might have to do more with menopausal age. There is this 26 year old girl I worked with who had no cheekbones... she looked late 30s due to nasolabial droop. There is nothing she could have done about it.

I think we should all just accept our fate and do our best to obtain the look that we want, whether it is by improving health, lotions, or the easy way out (surgery).

Old 02-26-2011, 11:44 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,897 times
I always assumed I'd be dead before or at 30 anyway so whatever lol, I'll be pretty.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:22 AM

410 posts, read 833,202 times
It's a combination of things - genes, diet, sun exposure, etc. The SINGLE worst thing you can do to age yourself fastest is sunbathe. Unfortunately, this doesn't catch up to you until years later, so you don't realize it's done damage. I deeply regret the sunbathing of my early 20's. And the tanning beds! Oh- and I got cancer in my 40's, too....(but not skin cancer), so who knows if all that destroying of free radicals contributed to it.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:01 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,458,844 times
My mom is almost ninety and has smoother skin than me. lol She is line and wrinke free and she says that the only thing that she has ever used on her face is Vaseline.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:20 AM

250 posts, read 911,020 times
Never complain about aging...many are denied the privilege.

I turn 36 in less than a month.

I think I look better now though than anytime inmy 20s. I definitely turn more heads but maybe that is because people expect women who are 35 to be fat and dragging their kids along....or maybe because I live in virginia and women here are either very corporate with pantsuits for their corporate careers or smoking and overweight wearing sweatpants. I may not fit in too well here as I like a little heel, skinny jeans, a little makeup, my hair is long....maybe not the sterotypical mom in the town we're in.

Now I drag my kids everywhere but Im MUCH healthier than I was at 25. I run daily, I do pilates, I weigh 125-130 and am 5'7" and back at 25 when I got married I was 148 and a size 8 and didn't exercise so I may have looked average in weight but I was certainly not toned like I am now.
My arms look better now than they ever have in my entire life. My legs too.

I think another poster mentioned the weight thing...makes a whole heck of a lot of difference! in fact I think it makes the MOST difference to looks. There is a fine line though with being too thin. As you age your face simply needs a small amount of fat to look more youthful. I think I'm looking better these days at 130 and size 4/6 than I was when I was a size 2. My face was just too thin. Besides thanks to Kim kardashian my bigger plump butt is now "in style" so it makes me feel more womanly to have more curve to my body.

Women also have the "mom haircut" as I call it when they get my age. I happen to find long hair more manageable most of my friends cut their hair after they have babies because it is work and kids just pull hair. That's what reality is. I actually get up an hour early to do my hair and shower. I LIKE feeling put together so you put in the time.

I was a big tanner though...So now at 35 I have to maintain more. I do microderm treatments at home but it won't erase the sun damage I have. It's not alot but I do have some crows feet starting.

Those who are young--just try to stay out of the sun. I wear spf daily from my late 20s on but it doesn't reverse what I did when I was 18.

I think a good attitude goes a long way too. smile ladies. Too many high strung women. I know--I'm friends with a lot of them. Always so much drama I try to avoid drama.

I have NO clue how old people think I am. Maybe 31/32 so not too off. Mentally though I'd never want to be back in my 20s...I have little patience for that mentality. I much prefer men in their 30s and later as well. I like aging and actually find it attractive in a man--not saying men appreciate the same in women but ladies don't let yourself "go" whether you're in a relationship or not. Have some pride in your looks no matter what your age.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:19 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Be supportive, not in the box or sexist. Encourage her to eat well, buy her skincare, let her go to a spa, let her spend her own money on herself.....help her with pms & any stress she has...... it's all related.

What century are you from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty