Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2012, 06:23 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
Actually it happens all of the time. It has also been ingrained into popular culture through television and movie adaptions. Examples: The Reba show and the New Adventures of Old Christine. Both shows feature middle age housewives whos husbands left them for women in their early 30s.
It's not pop culture, it's biology. The underlying drive whenever any of us chooses a mate is reproduction. That's why youth and health and exaggerated gender specific features are coveted around the world, regardless of society. Every culture throughout history has coveted youth, particularly in women. While men can father children until death, women have a relatively small window of time to reproduce. A man who leaves his middle aged wife for a 25 year old may not realize he's attracted to her fertility, he may not even want kids, but that's the driving force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 11:51 PM

744 posts, read 1,847,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
It's not pop culture, it's biology. The underlying drive whenever any of us chooses a mate is reproduction. That's why youth and health and exaggerated gender specific features are coveted around the world, regardless of society. Every culture throughout history has coveted youth, particularly in women. While men can father children until death, women have a relatively small window of time to reproduce. A man who leaves his middle aged wife for a 25 year old may not realize he's attracted to her fertility, he may not even want kids, but that's the driving force.
Actually I hear about it all of the time about women in their 40s having children. It has been a lot harder for a person in their 40s to have children than earlier in life, but with today's blossoming new technology it is becoming a lot easier and more common for women to have children in that decade.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:26 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,259 times
The average woman at 35 doesn't look nearly as good as she did at 25, or sometimes 30. That's just the reality of the situation. Doesn't mean though they're aren't 35-40 year olds who dont look as good as some 20 year olds. Some even way better

Last edited by BradPiff; 08-21-2012 at 05:35 AM..

Old 08-21-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
While I agree that there are many attractive women in their 30s you never hear of men divorcing their wife for an "older model" it's always for a younger woman if he has options. Of course he could dump his wife in her 40s for a woman in her 30s. The general pattern is trading older for younger so there must be some truth that younger women look better.

BTW I'm not defending these guys that trade in for "younger models". Yes they could be jerks or going through a middle aged crisis, I'm just saying that behavior exists and tells us something about age and looks.
Men have ALWAYS throughout history been attracted to younger women. Look at Ashton kutcher for example. He was with 50 year old Demi moore now he upgraded to 29 year old Mila Kunis

RadarOnline - Exclusives - Demi Moore Heartbroken Over Ashton Kutcher Mila Kunis Romance

Old 08-21-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
Jennifer Aniston
Salma Hayek
Sofia Vergara
Susan Sarandon
Demi Moore
Sharon Stone
Vanessa Williams
Courtney Cox

All over not 35 but 40(50 and 60 in some cases)and still smoking. And before you say these are just celebrities, I will also let you know that I also know quite a few women over 40 in my local area that are still hot. It is more about taking care of yourself more than anything.

Besides I don't think everyone loses their looks. It just depends on the person. Some people actually lose their looks in their teens and twenties and some don't lose their looks at all. Some were not ever attractive at all. Is everyone under 35 attractive?? Not from what I have seen, but the media tries to make it sound that way. An attractive 60 year old woman or man probably won't look good to your average 20 year old, but they might to another 60 year old. It is all relative. Do you have to be found hot by a 20 year old for it to count or something?? We have a lot more technology at our disposal these days and more anti-aging research is being done. Times change. In the medieval times, if you weren't married with children by 18 you were seen as a dried up old maid.

We are still largely stuck in a 1950 mindset here in America and we really need to get out of that and move into the 21st century. Same with some other parts of the world.
The problem with that is, the VAST majority of women over 40 don't look anywhere NEAR those celebrities you named. Halle berry looks better then 90% of the 20 year old woman on this planet....

But does Halle represent the majority of 40 year old women?Hell no

Old 08-21-2012, 05:34 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,820 times
BULL....not true. I am 64 years old and the only wrinkles I have are a few little crow's feet around my big green eyes. My skin otherwise is smooth as a baby's butt and that is no joke. I don't smoke, don't drink, have given up eating red meat and work at my appearance. When I tell people how old I am, they always look shocked...SURPRISE...your face DOES NOT fall off when you hit 40, 50, or 60. Other things have a problem with gravity taking over and unless you want to have "corrective" surgery that could be an issue but regardless it doesn't take much to take care of yourself.

Other than being actively involved in taking good care of myself, I have good genes on my Dad's side of the family coming from an Aunt who when she was 80 looked 60..she was a gorgeous woman with minimal wrinkles. I can remember her saying to me "how did I get so old"..she had no clue and when she passed the funeral director said to me..."What a beautiful woman she must have been as she is so beautiful now".....keep the faith....and work at it and it won't happen..the haggard look that is!! LOL

Old 08-21-2012, 05:41 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
The average woman at 35 doesn't look nearly as good as she did at 25, or sometimes 30. That's just the reality of the situation. Doesn't mean though they're aren't 35-40 year olds who dont look as good as some 20 year olds. Some even way better
Hey Brad....like your posts. Gotta tell you...I am 64 and have been mistaken for a 44 year old. Not jokin' either. My husband is 10 years younger than me, I have a son who is 43 and when I introduce my son to people as "my son" they look puzzled and kinda scared to ask how old I am. My thing is to tell people I had him when I was 13..LOL.

Looking young is work and is also genes. I had an Aunt on my Dad's side who had the most gorgeous skin right into her 80's. She was so beautiful and I have been blessed with the same genes. She was my idol and my good example of how to take care of myself with the moisturizers, good diet, plenty of exercise. She also insisted I behave like a lady at all times..so sweet and old fashioned.

Aging is something that catches ALL of us. Staying fit and looking good is up to the person who is going thru the process to be on top of at all times. A good attitude, plenty of rest, staying active, eating properly and enjoying life in general will keep those horrid stress lines at bay for anyone!

Old 08-21-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Hey Brad....like your posts. Gotta tell you...I am 64 and have been mistaken for a 44 year old. Not jokin' either. My husband is 10 years younger than me, I have a son who is 43 and when I introduce my son to people as "my son" they look puzzled and kinda scared to ask how old I am. My thing is to tell people I had him when I was 13..LOL.

Looking young is work and is also genes. I had an Aunt on my Dad's side who had the most gorgeous skin right into her 80's. She was so beautiful and I have been blessed with the same genes. She was my idol and my good example of how to take care of myself with the moisturizers, good diet, plenty of exercise. She also insisted I behave like a lady at all times..so sweet and old fashioned.

Aging is something that catches ALL of us. Staying fit and looking good is up to the person who is going thru the process to be on top of at all times. A good attitude, plenty of rest, staying active, eating properly and enjoying life in general will keep those horrid stress lines at bay for anyone!

I agree with a lot of what you said and I do believe you a lot of it is hard work. But do believe a lot the woman around your as aside from yourself can be mistaken for someone 20 years younger?

Do you think the majority of 60 year old women in America can be mistaken for 30 and 40 year olds?

Old 08-21-2012, 06:20 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
I would say the Average Person doesn't look as good at 35 as they did (or had the potential to) at 25. Men aren't excluded. We women just "judge" them on different things.

It bugs the heck out of me the expectations on women to look younger. I'll be watching a tv show and the 40 year old women don't have a wrinkle in their face courtesy of botox and fillers, but their same age male counterparts have road maps across their face.

Last edited by TheImportersWife; 08-21-2012 at 06:31 AM..

Old 08-21-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I would say the Average Person doesn't look as good at 35 as they did (or had the potential to) at 25. Men aren't excluded. We women just "judge" them on different things.

It bugs the heck out of me the expectations on women to look younger. I'll be watching a tv show and the 40 year old women don't have a wrinkle in their face courtesy of botox and fillers, but their same age male counterparts have road maps across their face.
To answer your whole post

It's because guys don't face the same standards,expectations, or pressure from a physical feature standpoint that women do in the media, other men, or their female counterparts. There's a lot of men who frankly look AWFUL at this age too but their rarely if ever called out on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty