Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 03:00 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,687,668 times

Advertisements

From this Blog... The Toilet test

Let’s get started: The Toilet Test… « Fire, Ice, Earth and Air
Let’s get started: The Toilet Test…
November 13, 2009 by ColorIntervention
Okay, so we want to figure out the best colors for you.

The first step is to figure out if you are Warm Toned or Cool Toned.

You can only be one or the other. Warm Toned people will have golden or orange undertones to their skin. Cool Toned people will have blue, green, or red undertones to their skin. Now, bear in mind – it doesn’t matter how light or dark your skin appears, it’s all about the undertones.

Over the years, I’ve had to figure this out in several crazy locations for work situations. Hotels, beaches, houses, national parks, anywhere and everywhere. The one thing that I found to be constant, was that all of these places had a bathroom with a nice white procelain sink or toilet!

So – I developed what my clients now like to call “The Toilet Test”. Here’s what you do – find a standard white porcelain sink or toilet that has natural light in the room. You need bright natural sunlight. Hold the inside of your wrist next to the sink or toilet. Really look, and you will start to see that your skin will have a golden, orange, peach tone compared to the pure white porcelain. Or it will have a pink, blue, green tone compared to the pure white porcelain.

One caveat – Don’t confuse Olive skin tone with Golden. Olive skin tones are really a Greenish Yellow (hence an olive). This can be confusing for some darker Caucasians, Asians, Indians, and Native Americans.

Some people will be very obvious and clear, while others will be more subtle and difficult to see at first, so…

Let’s move on now to hair and eye color…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 03:03 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I totally believe in this theory. I am a Spring.
I can't believe how many people say they still do their colors!! Many younger generation Xers my age think it is uncool or passe--- a limiting theory we were raised with. The whole point is *how the information is applied*. It is definitely not a mainstream fashion topic but I am still really tickled pink that the chicfashionista girl uses it. It think she is 20 something. There are many discussions about it all over the Internet including Facebook.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:04 PM

Hair Tone
So, some of you have figured out your skin tone from The Toilet Test. Others need more information to figure it all out. We can further confirm for everyone by checking your hair tone.

Now, I don’t care what color your hair is now – or what color your colorist has colored it this month – we need to figure out what is the natural tone. Some of you may already know it, some may need help to figure it out.

Think back to what color your hair was as a child. It doesn’t matter if you have gotten darker or lighter naturally since then, your childhood hair tone is still your hair tone.

If your Natural Hair Tone is:

Anything with Golden or Red Tones. Golden Blonde, Strawberry Blonde. Anything Red, Copper, or Auburn. Brown hair light to dark that has Golden or Red Highlights or Hints in the sunlight. If you have gray hair it is Creamy Gray or Dove Gray. Pay attention even if you have what some people describe as “dull” or “mousey” brown hair – if you can see Golden or Red Tones in the sunlight.

These mean that you have Warm Toned Hair.

If your Natural Hair Tone is:

Anything with Ash Tones. This can be anything from Platinum Blonde to Jet Black. Black, Ash Brown, Ash Blonde. Blonde or Brown hair has more of a Green or Blue undertone. If you have gray hair, it is Salt and Pepper or Silver.

This means that you have Cool Toned Hair.

Are some of you really figuring out if you are Warm or Cool based on your Skin Tone and Hair Tone now? Do some of you still need more clues and confirmation?

Okay, let’s more on to Eye Tone next…

Eye Tone
You want to find a mirror with natural sunlight. Look closely.

You have Warm Toned Eyes if you see:

Golden or Brown flecks. Amber Brown, Reddish Brown, Golden Brown. Green with Gold or Brown. Blue with Aqua, Turquoise, Green, Gold, or Brown Flecks. Hazel eyes that include some of these Warm Tones.

You have Cool Toned Eyes if you see:

Black, Dark Brown. Light or Dark Gray. Blue eyes with Gray or White Flecks. Green Eyes with Gray, White or Blue Flecks. Hazel eyes that include some of these Cool Tones.

Are you seeing a pattern here? All three categories of your Skin Tone, Hair Tone, and now Eye Tone should fit into all Warm or all Cool. Do you see it?

If you think you’ve got it great. We’ve got one more test to confirm it.

If you’re still not quite sure, that’s okay. Like I said, we’ve got one more test to help you figure this out.

Moving on to test out some clothing…

CLick this link to see the differences in tone
Clothing Test « Fire, Ice, Earth and Air
Note how these are similar colors, but the Tone is different?

The clothing colors on the left side are Warm Tones. The clothing colors on the right side are Cool Tones.

You will look better in the Tones from one side or the other. You will see a big difference. You can easily tell if you try on tops and compare Brown or Black – which looks better on you? Ivory or Pure White – which looks better on you? Coral/Peach or Pink – which looks better?

The correct ones will make you look a little younger, your skin will look healthier, your eyes will look brighter. The incorrect ones will make you look dull, not as healthy, and you might even notice more lines or wrinkles.

Do you own any of these clothing colors? Do you find that people tell you that you look great whenever you wear them?

These are all clues, so start putting this all together now – and you should know if you are Warm Toned or Cool Toned. That’s the beginning.

Now, let’s figure you out further…

Old 03-18-2011, 05:16 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,592,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
Well, see, that's the thing. There are oranges and yellow you would look good in. Each color has a certain tone that looks good on everyone. I used to think I looked bad in orange until I found the right one. There are shades of every color, there are also warm and cool version of every color(except white and black.

If you have freckles you are definitely a warm tone . Either Spring of Autumn.
Is it allowed to post a link to a thread in another forum, because there is a great one on cruise critic

I also think a lot of people think "pale" means cool. It doesn't. You can be a pale warm tone or a pale cool tone
Some other stuff

Season Color Analysis Skin Tone
Complexion refers to the natural color, texture, and appearance of the skin, especially that of the face. The coloring of people is cold (undertones bluish pink) or warm (undertones golden yellow).
The best effect for the skin tone, and also for hair and makeup, can be achieved using complementary colors in clothes, dyes, and makeup. What follows is only a simplified idea of the theory and some of the main colors.
Freckles are small brownish spots of melanin on skin in people of fair complexion. Predisposition to freckles is genetic and is related to the presence of red hair. The same process, which produces sun tanning, causes your freckles although the distribution of melanin is uneven, causing the freckling.

As Freckles are predominantly found on the face, warm colors will be the most flattering for you.Your season is determined based on the undertone of your skin which is either warm or cool. Since you cannot see this undertone, a draping of fabric colors enable you to determine if you are warm or cool.
With all due respect I am NOT Autumn. And I have yet to find an orange or yellow I look good in. I am deep winter. I look best in blue reds, black, white, icy blue, magenta. Those are my best colors. My skin tone is most definitely cool...This is not just my opinion...and I did do the test. It was pretty unanimous that I am a winter!

My freckles are ash colored...not brown but more like a light tan. You can only see them if you are close up to me. And they go away in the winter.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
With all due respect I am NOT Autumn. And I have yet to find an orange or yellow I look good in. I am deep winter. I look best in blue reds, black, white, icy blue, magenta. Those are my best colors. My skin tone is most definitely cool...This is not just my opinion...and I did do the test. It was pretty unanimous that I am a winter!

My freckles are ash colored...not brown but more like a light tan. You can only see them if you are close up to me. And they go away in the winter.
Well now that I've seen what i've seen, you look like winter to me. I'm not an expert but you have Audrey Hepburn coloring
It took me forever to figure out I was a spring. I thought I was a winter myself.
And I am wrong, while there are two winter yellows, there are no winter oranges

Old 03-18-2011, 06:02 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I went to Beauty Control parties, and I do think there was something to it. For them, it was strictly summer, fall, winter or spring, and I was a winter. It was remarkable that, when I wore the winter colors I got compliments. For me, navy, burgundy, dark purple, and other cool colors look better.
All you need to do it put bright white/dark blue against your skin, or creamy off white/orange or yellow against your skin to tell if you are warm or cool. Bright white will look better on cool complexions, and creamy off white will look better with warm skin tones.
Another theory is that the clothes you feel best in are the colors which are the most flattering. My point is there IS definitely something to color theory.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I navy, burgundy, dark purple, and other cool colors look better.
There is actually a spring Navy which has a bit more blue in it than other navys. The problem is I don't have a good enough eye to pick it out much of the time

Old 03-18-2011, 06:12 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,592,181 times
I remember Navy being a neutral for all seasons? I could be wrong...

Old 03-18-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
I remember Navy being a neutral for all seasons? I could be wrong...
Let me see if I can find the navy chart

Old 03-18-2011, 06:22 PM

Everyone can wear navy as a neutral, however each season has a different navy tone

Ice= Winter
Air= Summer
Fire= Spring
Earth= Autumn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty