Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:27 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My favorite quote..."Why do American men idolize a woman with the body of a 12 year old boy?"...This is when the "waif" herion chic look was in...ala Kate Moss...
The line's drawn at the point where one states their preference, and that's about it.

A question like the highlighted, or an opinion that implies real women have curves is idiotic. Be real all you want. If I'm not digging you, it's not gonna happen.

Can't a man be attracted to skinny/slim/average/curvy/chubby/fat (and is equally applicable ) women just because ? *SIGHS*..... Why employ the simplest of reasons to explain an infinitely complex behavior ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 10:34 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think fat guys want that also. not so easy to get it when you are a chunky monkey.
It depends on how fat their wallet is.

I agree in that the whole fitness craze for women is somewhat silly to me. Or should I say, the bodybuilding craze. I guess their used to be a line between fitness and bodybuilders that I'm not sure exists any more but once a woman loses her "soft" curves and starts trading them for hard muscle it is unappealing to me. I'm sure right away some fitness guru will immediately go to the other extreme and assume I am fat and I only like morbidly obese woman, but fine whatever, I don't waste time trying to talk or convince those types.

I do notice though that on television or movies, when ever a woman like Kate Winslet or Christina Hendricks are being interviewed the story is almost always centered upon their weight. They can't just talk about their careers or what they have going on, their weight just has to be brought up. A woman just can't have big hips, or a big chest or a big butt (unless maybe you are Jennifer Lopez or Kim Kardashian) in Hollywood with it it being the focus of seemingly every interview they do. And if someone catches them doing something silly like eating a sandwich, it will be plastered on the cover of a tabloid in the most unflattering of ways with a dramatic headline: "SO AND SO ON AN EATING BINGE!" It is ridiculous. What usually ends up happening is someone like Jennifer Connelly or Katherine Heigl who had a rockin' bodacious bod (see the Rocketeer or Bride of Chucky for research) goes on a diet binge to become a Hollywood approved waif.

Last edited by Tourian; 03-23-2011 at 11:11 AM..

Old 03-23-2011, 06:16 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I guess their used to be a line between fitness and bodybuilders that I'm not sure exists
there is definitely a line. lots of fit girls that have some muscle but not too much and they look awesome.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:14 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
there is definitely a line. lots of fit girls that have some muscle but not too much and they look awesome.
Yeah, I know - I guess I was trying to be facetious and sarcastic and didn't express myself well enough. Fitness models look great, just as long as there is no obsession. However, a woman who is "soft" and doesn't have washboard abs or buns of steel can still be beautiful. Unfortunately the terms curvy, voluptuous, rubenesque, stacked or thick invariably equate to fat to lots of people who are in that scene.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:14 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,143 times
The article actually says curvy is more in than it used to be....along with the pressure to look young, death of the "all American look", increased acceptance of racial diversity/mixed race seen as beautiful, middle aged women perceived as more attractive (the "cougar" trend), Angelina Jolie as the new beauty ideal, etc.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:19 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
The article actually says curvy is more in than it used to be....along with the pressure to look young, death of the "all American look", increased acceptance of racial diversity/mixed race seen as beautiful, middle aged women perceived as more attractive (the "cougar" trend), Angelina Jolie as the new beauty ideal, etc.
But this is so contradictory. Pressures to look young are greater while middle-aged women seen as more attractive? What is the "all-American look"?

Old 03-28-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
But this is so contradictory. Pressures to look young are greater while middle-aged women seen as more attractive? What is the "all-American look"?
Generation X was raised with advanced diet, health and skin care information-- we've been involved with some facet of self care since our early 20s and so a lot of middle aged women look better than the previous generations. Plastic surgery advances such as the liquid facelift and Botox have also made it possible to look better. The anti aging options/advances have in turn caused there to be more pressure to look young. Women who maintain themselves very well past the age of 40 and date younger men are known as "cougars".

The all-American look in the 70s, for example included blue eyed blonde haired actresses/models such as Farrah Fawcett, Christie Brinkley, etc. The all-American look was less multicultural.

This website has a lot of beauty information for middle aged women; it's pretty good:
BEAUTY TIPS makeup, PLASTIC SURGERY body face skin hair, HEALTH over 40

Old 03-28-2011, 02:34 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
This website has a lot of beauty information for middle aged women; it's pretty good:
BEAUTY TIPS makeup, PLASTIC SURGERY body face skin hair, HEALTH over 40
Patty Pasadena. Check. I'm going to get my beauty tips from a website with some mythical creature named Patty Pasadena that's really just one big advertisement.

Sorry. No.

Patty Pasadena. Sounds like a Rose Parade wanna-be.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Patty Pasadena. Check. I'm going to get my beauty tips from a website with some mythical creature named Patty Pasadena that's really just one big advertisement.

Sorry. No.

Patty Pasadena. Sounds like a Rose Parade wanna-be.
She expressly states that she considers herself to have a "campy" personality. I think she's had a lot of work done-- more power to her. She's what a cougar looks like.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
She expressly states that she considers herself to have a "campy" personality. I think she's had a lot of work done-- more power to her. She's what a cougar looks like.
Well, since the last thing on Earth I aspire to be is a cougar I think I can safely avoid everything she is trying so very hard to sell me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty