Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 06:54 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,270,847 times

Advertisements

Omg, I so totally agree. I have had not one but two stores take away my size recently. Old Navy used to have odd # sizing; I wore a 1. Neither the new size 0 or 2 work for me. Target has also ruined their junior sizes. I was shocked earlier this week when a size 1 fell off me. Normally I wear a juniors size 3. Yikes, it's gone on a decade & I'm sick of it: Fat people of America, go on a diet & lose weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reni View Post
Clearly the author has never been outside the US -- the vast majority of women in almost every other country, who would be considered skinny by American standards, are not "real" women?

Also, I'm saddened by the current attitude in America that we're supposed accept being overweight or even obese as "normal" in spite of clear evidence that it's extremely unhealthy. And I'm really disgusted by the entitlement and accusations of such people, i.e. "If I'm too fat to fit into normal clothes it's everyone else's fault but my own."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 06:56 PM

26,649 posts, read 28,524,948 times
I agree. We women who are not overweight are "real" women. Just because a lot of women are now overweight doesn't make us any less real.

Also agree about the new norm--that's it's now okay to be obese and we should all just get used to it. They even show obese people in the tv ads now as if they are normal. Instead of getting used to it people should be doing something to stop obesity because it is very unhealthy.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:56 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,770,617 times
I still don't know why a size 14 is plus size, boggles the mind

Old 03-20-2011, 07:29 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,602,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Omg, I so totally agree. I have had not one but two stores take away my size recently. Old Navy used to have odd # sizing; I wore a 1. Neither the new size 0 or 2 work for me. Target has also ruined their junior sizes. I was shocked earlier this week when a size 1 fell off me. Normally I wear a juniors size 3. Yikes, it's gone on a decade & I'm sick of it: Fat people of America, go on a diet & lose weight.
I think you can find smaller stuff in higher-end stores. I see zeroes in Macy's and Von Maur all the time. I haven't been a 3 since I was 12 so I don't miss those sizes. I've always had the opposite problem--I'm too tall for most regular clothes. I love that more and more clothes come in talls now, so fashion is saving this real woman.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:44 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,383,747 times
Another perspective....perhaps by "real women" the author of the article meant to indicate that "real women" come in a variety of sizes and shapes and that by brushing off a segment of those women (who are as "real" as anyone else...no more, no less), fashion was failing a segment of society who are real women - not meaning to indicate that they were the only real women but that real women include them also. Just a thought.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:49 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,065,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bad-John View Post
I never understood how they measure or determine a gals size ( ie 14) like in the article, but I'm all for everyone being able to pick what they want. Us guys can and do. All we have to remember are a few measurements. It's pretty straight forward stuff. If you have over a 38" waist, you need to do some sit-ups! LOL
I have three different sizes in my wardrobe. It messes with your head.

From that article: average size is 14 & bra size is 38 DD

I don't get how we're rated just as fat

our average size is 14, however when looking a dress size, a size 14 in US = Aus size 12

Old 03-20-2011, 09:28 PM

26,649 posts, read 28,524,948 times
The sizes today are all messed up anyway. It used to be 7/9/11 were junior sizes. I was pretty much underweight and couldn't gain weight and I wore a size 9. So 9 was not a big size.

When I got into my 20s and 30s (and beyond...) I became a size 10 and the sizes for misses were 8/10/12. Those were all average sizes. Size 6 was really teeny and size 12 was probably just bigger boned. Size 14 was just a tiny bit on the heavy size but not a plus size. Plus is 18 and up--like 18/20/22/24. I think 14 is called large but it is not plus. Someone can be tall and of a heavier build and take a 14 and they're not fat or plus size.

When I took a size 9--in college, no one took a size zero or two. I don't know if there was even a such thing as a four. These are new sizes, I think. They're called vanity sizes. Kind of nutty and confusing. They're supposed to flatter people into spending more money and then getting to brag that they take some silly meaningless little size.

Most REAL women just want clothing that fits and they aren't fooled by the vanity sizing. I, for one, love J. Jill when I can afford it because they make clothing for tall women. Tall women are real women too.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:29 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,858,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's not OP's fault. It's the original title of the article. I looked at it out of curiosity.
I apologize to the OP for not realizing that the wording was the original title of the article. I think my criticisms of the title are still valid, but they shouldn't have been directed at the OP. Thanks for pointing this out, SierraAZ.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:52 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,262,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I think you can find smaller stuff in higher-end stores. I see zeroes in Macy's and Von Maur all the time. I haven't been a 3 since I was 12 so I don't miss those sizes. I've always had the opposite problem--I'm too tall for most regular clothes. I love that more and more clothes come in talls now, so fashion is saving this real woman.
Meee tooo!!! Im 5' 11". yay for JC Penney talls!

Old 03-20-2011, 11:05 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,779,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Also agree about the new norm--that's it's now okay to be obese and we should all just get used to it. They even show obese people in the tv ads now as if they are normal.
And they're even allowed to be on tv shows now (Mike and Molly) OMG!!

It's funny how we look at fat as such a shame and a handicap...and people who would never, ever laugh at someone in a wheelchair or a mentally disabled person think that it's perfectly acceptable to make fun of fat people, and teach their children to do the same.

Fat acceptance issues aside, that article was dumb. Shameless publicity piece for the author's new book, and the title was undoubtedly chosen to get attention and encourage debate. It's not difficult to find clothes when you're plus-sized, not even evening wear. You can find size 14 (which isn't a plus size IMO) at all the department stores. You can even go to Ross and find a size 26 (which is definitely a plus size) evening dress for about $30. So I don't see a point in that article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty