Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 05:13 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,410,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You might want to try Brewer's yeast.

Acne & Brewer's Yeast | LIVESTRONG.COM

If you're interested, I'll tell you which one is good and where to find it. I researched it recently for other reasons.
I'll read that when I get onto a faster computer (this one's impossibly slow! lol) and I'll let you know what I think. where would I get it though? Which one is the best?

lemon&lime-I've been on the birth control pill for 5 years now so big breakouts like the one I just had are rare. I mostly get tiny pimples every month.

weezycom-I think you might be onto something about the carbs! I've been working more fruit into my diet, veggies are easy for me to eat since I love them. I can't eat that much meat though, it makes me sick (my stomach was killing me for 2 weeks after I came back from Texas, how do you guys eat like that???). I've been eating as much meat as I can though as I'm iron deficient so I need it for that too. I mostly eat poultry and fish though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 07:11 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
wow thanks! I'll google that and find out where I can see someone about it! Does it interfere with BC pills?
I haven't taken BC pills since the 90's (hubby got a vasectomy) so I really cannot answer that. But your dermatologist should know.
Spironolactone I think is used for several different things. I think using it for acne is relatively new. When I was in Redmond, WA the doctor there had never heard of using it for that purpose. So maybe just ask around?

Old 04-08-2011, 07:24 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Quote:
I've been eating as much meat as I can though as I'm iron deficient so I need it for that too. I mostly eat poultry and fish though.
I feel like I'm sounding like a mom here... oh wait - I AM one, maybe that's why? But I have a suggestion for your iron as well: blackstrap molasses. Take one or two spoonfuls a day with lots of water. Your iron should go right up!

I learned this from my midwife while I was pregnant with kiddo #1. My iron levels were going too low and she told me to do this. It totally worked!

That way you don't have to eat like a Texan. (And I'm a native Texan, BTW... )

I'm large-chested, too (36DD) and I have trouble finding tops that are modest. You'll think it's modest, but then you bend over or reach for something and... well... it's cleavage galore. I also have trouble with button-down the front anything. If I buy them bigger they look frumpy but if I buy them more fitted my boobs stretch the buttons and there's a peep show... sometimes button-down blouses with stretch work better depending on the quality. Lands End and J.Jill have both been good places to look for things. Good luck!

Old 04-08-2011, 08:24 PM

247 posts, read 498,524 times
Shop at stores like Ann Taylor, Anna Taylor Loft, New York & Company, JCPenny, ect. If you can't afford their clothes just look at the style of clothes and try to find something similar at a store thats in your price range. Not too bold of patterns, no neon colors, and wear properly fitting clothes. Also you can wear wedges, they're super comfortable or you could always do flats. Flats can be appropriate for work too if you're always on your feet. Judge your co-workers outfits too...it should give you somewhat of an idea of what you should wear. As for jewlery, understated pieces, no costume jewelery ala` forever21. Makeup should be neutral overall. Hair should be done and out of face...low buns are cute, big curls like Jessica Simpson, ect.

Good luck & God bless!

Old 04-08-2011, 08:36 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,410,470 times
Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkayx333 View Post
Shop at stores like Ann Taylor, Anna Taylor Loft, New York & Company, JCPenny, ect. If you can't afford their clothes just look at the style of clothes and try to find something similar at a store thats in your price range. Not too bold of patterns, no neon colors, and wear properly fitting clothes. Also you can wear wedges, they're super comfortable or you could always do flats. Flats can be appropriate for work too if you're always on your feet. Judge your co-workers outfits too...it should give you somewhat of an idea of what you should wear. As for jewlery, understated pieces, no costume jewelery ala` forever21. Makeup should be neutral overall. Hair should be done and out of face...low buns are cute, big curls like Jessica Simpson, ect.

Good luck & God bless!
hey nikkay, most of my clothes actually come from these stores and they're appropriate (though NY&Co. tends to run huuuuge on me)...they're just not all black and white and in the combination they want. At the moment I'm strapped for cash for more clothes plus they don't pay me enough. I have the shoes you described too. They didn't have anything to say about my shoes and I do have a few black and white stuff to work with, just not enough. I am only allowed to wear the jewelry that my store sells which they let me borrow on every shift.

I can definitely try those hair ideas!

Old 04-08-2011, 08:58 PM

127 posts, read 183,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
mir86 if you have health coverage - go to your doctor and talk to/ask him/her about spironolactone, or for a referral to a dermatologist who probably would know more.

There are no side effects that I was made aware of or experienced, but you CANNOT take it if you are pregnant or if you think you might get pregnant. Also, men/boys cannot take it for their acne probs.

Whatever you do, stay away from ProActive! That stuff is toxic!
Spironolactone is a lot more toxic than ProActive. It causes hypokalemia, which is elevated blood potassium. 10 percent of people taking it experience this side effect, and it can be fatal. People taking this drug need to follow a potassium-restricted diet, increase their water intake significantly, and have their blood potassium levels monitored. Hypokalemia isn't the only side effect either. It has plenty more, and it's not an ideal first choice - or even last resort - for acne, barring specific medical conditions like polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).

I would go with a stronger topical formula first before resorting to such a heavy-duty drug as this. I, like the OP, had chin acne I couldn't get rid of. I don't take any oral medications or artificial hormones due to other health concerns, so I was put on topical tretinoin, a retinoid. It does cause peeling for the first several hours after application, so you should only use it at night, and you'll need to combine it with sunscreen if you'll be outdoors at all, but it works really well. Give it about 2 weeks. It's amazing, and more importantly, doesn't affect you systemically like spironolactone does.

Like spiro, it halts acne production, but spiro will dry you out everywhere...your entire face, your hands, your hair, everything. Tretinoin only dries out the spots you apply it to, and it continues to work after application. Once you've been on a course of it for a month or so, you can cut back to using it twice a week or less. I only use it periodically now, and I don't need it at all in the winter or fall. It is also ridiculously cheap. I think I paid 20 bucks tops, without insurance, for a six-month supply. I have insurance now, so it'd be even less.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:24 PM

127 posts, read 183,665 times
BTW, haggardhouseelf, I was not meaning to jump on you regarding spiro, and I'm sorry if I came across that way. It's just important to know about the dietary restrictions and side effects. If your doctor didn't tell you about the side effects, I'm not surprised, because I've had that happen as well. Many years ago, I was prescribed a BCP as a migraine patient with Reynaud's, and the side effects were nightmarish. I learned soon after going off it that I could have had a stroke. So it's nothing on you that you didn't know...many doctors are more concerned about billable hours than informing their patients. I surely didn't know why the pill was messing me up, causing me to see spots and have blackout headaches, etc. until after the fact. This physician was also a "top-ranked" ob-gyn, his practice won awards and mentions of honor and the whole nine yards, as well, but after that experience, I'd never recommend him to anyone! I guess it depends on the person.

I also had a friend on spiro. She was also put on a fluid-heavy, potassium-restricted diet and had to have regular blood draws. Her doctor was very strict about it. She doesn't like needles, so she stopped getting her blood taken and consequently stopped getting the spiro from the doc. I think some doctors are much stricter than others but I'd prefer one who was TOO strict in a case such as this.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:04 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
I'll read that when I get onto a faster computer (this one's impossibly slow! lol) and I'll let you know what I think. where would I get it though? Which one is the best?
Brewer's yeast is just chock full of vitamins and minerals, some of which are really hard to obtain from food. I was looking for one with chromium as I read that 90% of the population is chromium-deficient and it's a pretty important mineral which improves insulin sensitivity among many other things. Many/most brands don't have chromium in it. Also, apparently it has a pretty bad taste and the one I got not only promotes itself as the best-tasting, but many people who've tried others say the same. It has a nutty and quite bearable taste IMO.

Lewis Laboratories International, Ltd. Fabulous Fiber Supplement Facts

I got it from the New Life Health Center on Broadway, just East of Craycroft (5612 E Broadway). You must know it. That's what it looks like (it's powder):

http://www.vitacost.com/Images/Produ...2515435021.jpg

Old 04-09-2011, 03:50 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,958 times
The acne certainly isn't your fault, nor can you be required to cover it up if that makes the breakouts worse. I would suspect that it wasn't that one particular issue that was so much the problem, just that the others in combination gave off an overall "young" appearance. Too much layering (or not the right kind of layering) in tops can look very young. Having naturally wild hair (I hear you!) in a half-ponytail likely didn't help. The slightly too-short skirt may have sealed the deal. So a slightly longer skirt or slacks paired with your hair pulled back into a neat bun may make a huge difference.

You also might look at what your manager is wearing, and what other coworkers are wearing. It's pretty common when you're really young (in your 20's) to have to work extra hard to look older, especially if your workplace has mostly older workers. Even if it's slightly older than you'd prefer, lots of people have a few outfits that they rotate through for work and don't really wear at other times. It's just part of having to conform to a dress code.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:33 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,883 times
Quote:
because I look too young (I'm 24). So how do I do that? I have tons of business clothes that I can't even wear because our dress code is black and white and only black bottoms with white top or a solid black dress. I can't wear heels that are more than 2 inches high cause I'm on my feet the whole time.

I'm more at a loss at what to do with my hair to "mature" it I guess. I'm not very good with it. I don't really want to chop it off either .
I think this is nice and mature.

http://fashionistaguide.com/wp-conte...ss-casual2.jpg

Maybe this is what they mean by mature?

This looks perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty