Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 01:25 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,113,437 times

Advertisements

If you ever lose the cleaning cloth that should come with your glasses, the super soft microfiber cloths they sell in the auto department (meant for cleaning glass) work great on eyeglasses and at a fraction of the cost that they charge for cleaning cloths in the drug aisle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 01:59 PM

41,885 posts, read 74,952,198 times
Get an inexpensive pair of prescription sunglasses. You still need to protect your eyes from the sun.

If you go canoeing -- or any other sport involving water -- secure your glasses tightly to your head.

What else ... Don't put your glasses on a chair. Ever.
Don't let the cat play with them.

And don't ask me how I know these things.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:42 AM

1,233 posts, read 2,820,870 times
Make sure you clean your glasses often. I don't like microfiber cloths, so I buy these $2 disposable wipes at WalMart to get rid of smudges and whatnot. They have cleaning solution on them and it dries without leaving any residue.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:41 AM

6 posts, read 7,691 times
I have been wearing my glasses everyday but the grade is increasing.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:11 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,924,127 times
Spare pair cannot be said enough. If you need them for driving, buy a cheap ($50 inc lenses) pair from Walmart and keep them in a case in your glove box. Get in the habit of using just that pair for driving and put them away BEFORE you get out of the car.

I also use the disposable wipes - they look like hand wipes squares. I keep them tucked everywhere.

NEVER use a paper product (napkin, paper towel, etc) to clean off your glasses.

Don't wear them while playing with children or while at a party.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:20 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,295,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post
As simple as the title puts it. I'm a 17 year old guy who just got glasses. Anything special I need to know that isn't commom sense?

Will my eyesight get worse if I don't wear them all the time? Cuz my sight is only bad at 30 feet and beyond... so I'll just wear them when driving and at school.

Thanks for reading.
I would wear them most of the time except for when you are reading (unless you can't see without them at close distance). If you can read without them, you will get less eye strain.

My prescription fluctuated over time regardless of what I did. I went from 400 to 650. Then back down to 400 with worsened astigmatism. So your eyes will always change because you are growing.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,088,332 times
Wear them when you opthamologist/optometrist TOLD you to wear them. They know you and your eyesight better than any of us here.

Old 10-05-2019, 06:23 PM

147 posts, read 90,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
While adjusting my new frames, a wise man once told me, in a very fierce way that made it really stick with me: "on your face or IN THE CASE". That's very good advice! Especially for someone who will only be wearing them part time. Put a microfiber lens cleaning cloth in the case and wipe them off when you put them in there so they will be clean and ready to go the next time you need them.
This! You need to treat them VERY carefully. If you get a scratch, then it will get in the way of the field of vision and it will be very annoying.

They are too expensive to just get another pair.

Don't fall asleep with them, you will bend them and they will annoy you.

Old 10-05-2019, 06:41 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,287,062 times
Quote:
As simple as the title puts it. I'm a 17 year old guy who just got glasses. Anything special I need to know that isn't commom sense?

Will my eyesight get worse if I don't wear them all the time? Cuz my sight is only bad at 30 feet and beyond... so I'll just wear them when driving and at school.

Thanks for reading.
Truly, baby them! don't scratch them ... handle carefully.
Glasses can be a fun fashion addition. And a PITA!!! They help you... for real.

Old 10-05-2019, 06:42 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,360,206 times
Quote:

Thanks for reading.
You are "Short Sighted" now.. So best you only wear them when driving, or need to see longer distances.. This is how my eyesight started to deteriorate some 40 years ago.. .. Only wear them when you need them..

My brother had the same up until a few years ago ( he's now 76 yrs old) and constantly had takes glasses off to read texts or view close up anything).

My history was losing long distance acuity that slowly deteriorated over decades. My fir set of glass ended up to be "Multi focal" which means upper part was for distance ( needed for driving i.e.) but close up reading, seeing clearly written/computer screens etc..

I'm surprised your ophthalmologist did instruct you/ much less the provider of your prescription eyewear?

Anyway, Don't wear constantly them, but keep them handy .. especially if driving.. seeing highway signage will be necessary when looking for signage + seeing traffic way ahead could get missed !

BTW~~ This type of decline in Eyesight is not so bad..Just learn to use them appropriately.. BTW~~ IF you Golf.. you may need to wear them hung around your neck ( remember sunglass attachments) during those 18 holes!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty