Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 09:08 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
And what's going to give her a lift - you?
Not everyone sags... eww. If it has no impact on her back, I don't see why she needs one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 09:34 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Not everyone sags... eww. If it has no impact on her back, I don't see why she needs one.
1. Sagging happens to anyone with a full bust, eventually. And by full, I mean - anyone who isn't flat-chested, whose breasts are big enough to mark the woman as a female of her species. If you can tell she's a she, she will some day sag.
2. Some women have full breasts, that can cause pain to their upper ribcage when their breasts are free and unsupported for any length of time. It doesn't have to have anything to do with their back.
3. Wearing a bra can _prevent_ back trouble. People who need them, often need them so that they -don't- have problems with their back later on in life. Some women can attribute a lack of back pain to the fact that they wear a bra.
4. Wearing a bra is also useful for the winter. Nipples can chafe if they're constantly rubbing against a shirt. A bra sits snugly against the skin, and can prevent chafing.
5. Wearing a bra can also be a matter of modesty, when you're trying to look professional in the workplace.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:02 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
if you dont like them, dont wear them. wont bother me.
Lol, I don't wear them- the majority of the time...but for work it's kind of obvious & I work with all older women. I will try to go get fitted at the department stores. In the past I loved corsets (but can't find them anywhere) For some reason I am more comfortable wearing those- if anyone knows where I could find them, please post- Thanks

Old 04-24-2011, 10:30 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,856,735 times
My sister used to wear corsets all the time, and developed a scary medical condition because of it...basically, when she wears anything that tight now, her feet and legs get purple spots because she's bleeding under the skin.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:50 AM

127 posts, read 183,601 times
I don't wear them ever, haven't for years, and at a D-cup, the bra police are after me, but I keep ducking arrest. I don't even wear them to work, because I've found alternatives, both to traditional underwires, and in manners of dressing. I've asked people I trust whether it looks ok, and I've gotten "yes"es every time. They also noted that going without a traditional underwire bra is minimizing at my size (of course, a very individual thing). It feels very freeing, and as a bonus, I'm perkier than I was while wearing bras. I experienced the most pain when wearing bras, and, in particular, when attempting to stuff myself into the tiny 32D band size the fitters recommend. Ugh!

Obviously, not everyone is going to agree with my choice, and of course, what will work for me may not work for you, or for someone you know, but I have found the following sites to be helpful and informative for me: Bra-Free and Why women wear bras (Note: These have pictures of breasts, so they are NSFW! They're not erotic, but may not pass your company's computer filter!)

I want to also mention that, like my choice to go bra-free, the advice found on those sites may not work for you, either. They are interesting to read and discuss, but I do not consider them to be "universal truths" for everyone.

I think this article about sagging is interesting as well: Why breasts sag and will bras prevent breasts from sagging? (Again, NSFW.) How much one sags is probably a very individual thing, but it's an interesting discussion at the very least.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:22 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
You can get corsets made for you at The Corset Connection, they have a website. They have some pre-made and in stock as well. But a "real" corset (as opposed to a costume Frederick's of Hollywood style corset that only is supposed to look sexy and not actually constrict your movement) is expensive. Underbusts can start at around $100 and go up.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:17 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,934,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I've always been extremely uncomfortable in bras- feels like a torture device I just can't wear them-Any suggestions on how to give the ladies a lift without a bra? Or if there's a bra that has no straps & can actually stay put, let me know where to get it... Thanks
Ok, I know people will hate me for pointing this out. But the heading of this thread should read "Anyone else WHO hates bras". Please don't refer to other human beings as "that".

Old 04-24-2011, 12:30 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
I hate bras. I am tall, and guess what? They seem to make bras for women who are about 5'4", so...the straps are not long enough for me. I have teeny, tiny breasts, yes, they are "bite size" or less...but...I have a large chest. Bra makers think that all women with large chests have ginormous boobs. So, I usually end up with a bra that fits me mid chest, is like a large flotation device, with little tiny boobs inside, that slip out, because it is not long enough for my chest. Hate bras. Nothing fits.

No, I don't want a boob job, not interested.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:44 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,083,977 times
At 56 years old, I have avoided them for the most part and used loose fitting sport tops or soft strappy undershirts. They can make your body sore and constrict the natural internal happenings. For the most part, not a healthy choice at all unless back support is needed. I remember wearing them in high school with the straps or sides rubbing. They don't move with you unless totally elastic and that would just be sweaty! It is unnatural!

Old 04-24-2011, 01:26 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,115,695 times
JC Penney also has bra fitting services..the ladies earn a certificate in fitting and the prices are really reasonable. Also, use a $10 off $50 or more coupon and you can save. Sign up for their email offers and you can also get coupons in the mail. The best ones are $10 off $20 or $25 or more...love those! I always go for wireless and a little padded...its really uncomfortable to wear a wired or anything push up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty