Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 06:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
^ This.

I'd look for a well-made cashmere coat, in either black or camel with a classic cut and perfect fit. Take care of it and wear it forever. In the meantime, find a great vintage brooch at an estate sale or antique shop (I love Eisenberg) and wear it on the coat or anytime you want to remember your grandmother.
This!!!

Love it. Especially with the brooch. This is a look one of my more fashionable friends has been sporting for several years now. She gets a TON of compliments on her brooch collection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 07:24 PM

265 posts, read 534,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Okay, not getting into the politics of fur from dead animals or whether fur's appropriate for a college student (of any age), I don't like the coat. Why? It looks like a long bathrobe made out of fake fur. It's not a fun or stylish coat and does nothing for me...the model wearing the spike heels and the pout looks cheap and so does the coat.

My advice? Investigate cashmere or alpaca.
That I will do

Old 04-28-2011, 07:27 PM

265 posts, read 534,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
I agree. Everyone will have their own personal taste, but at the end of the day, high fashion is still high fashion. It's one thing to say "I don't like this" but it's another thing to say that it isn't fashionable. So the idea that wearing fur is tacky or "declasse" is pretty much false. Full length coats are usually seen as over the top, but there's nothing pretentious about wearing smaller items like a jacket. I still wouldn't suggest anyone wear that to school, though.
Yeah I know! I can see objectively fur is clearly not popular with the masses but there is something so whimsical about a full length fur, atleast to me. It would look absurd the more I think about it being worn anywhere near a college campus. But to a real nice formal event? Heck yea! I think this one is more stylish and 'modern'-ofcourse I would NEVER spend this much but would get a FAUX fur coat in this style.

Henig Furs :: Blackglama Female Mink Coat w/ Wing Collar & Rollback Cuffs

Old 04-28-2011, 07:46 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,719 times
I have a shearling jacket for when it gets very cold....its slim cut, very stylish, warm, yet classic...

Old 04-29-2011, 02:06 AM

56 posts, read 127,603 times
Lovely fur coat but it is too expensive & long enough for a teenage girl. Instead of spending huge amount on it, give a look on other less priced coats too. May be your decision would change...

Old 04-29-2011, 07:24 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
This!!!

Love it. Especially with the brooch. This is a look one of my more fashionable friends has been sporting for several years now. She gets a TON of compliments on her brooch collection.
I love brooches and wearing a little sparkle on a cardigan.

I used to work in an office building near a Marshall's, which was a block away from an upscale mall in California. I'd browse around on my lunch hour. One day I saw this gorgeous coat, a very long camel cashmere coat with a fox collar and cuffs. There was just one, it was completely out of place among the ordinary black wools, and it was my size. It was also like $700 marked down from whatever. I went back and visited that coat several times. It wanted to come home with me, I know it.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:53 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
which was a block away from an upscale mall in California. I'd browse around on my lunch hour. ..... a very long camel cashmere coat with a fox collar and cuffs.
Fashion Island? South Coast Plaza?

The coat. If that is an example of your taste in clothes I totally need to raid your closet!

Old 04-29-2011, 12:57 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Yes, South Coast. I was always in the Marshall's or Nordstrom Rack. My taste and what I can afford diverge. Currently I own a winter white down coat from Lands End. Not so schmancy.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:17 PM

236 posts, read 860,090 times
I like it. Personally I think it would look better if it were a dark brown, but it's FANtastic.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:14 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,650 times
I would look at the lady with the brooch with admiration. It is the details that make a difference, not the "look-at-me-I-can-buy-expensive-stuff" apparel.

Some ladies wear scarves, brooches, small unique things that not everyone can buy. Many were bought at secondhand stores, thus the fun is in something being exclusive for what it is, not for how much it costs.

Anybody with money can buy a fur coat. But the brooch grandma passed on, or the one that was sold at the exclusive boutique (3 pieces only), and is not ostentatious yet ridiculously beautiful, is in another league. It is small, but if you have an eye for fashion, heck yeah you will see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty