Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 07:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

I sew, so I do know the difference between different cotton fabrics. However, I'm trying to imagine what a Ralph Lauren T-shirt such as the one linked to would have to feel like to justify a $125 price tag.

Honestly, it's a layering basic. I do see the merit in spending top dollar for quality clothing you need to last, but what exactly makes sense about more than 100 bones for an undershirt? Yes, I know that various cotton has different feels. Yes, I know that some is "really" soft. But you can get a really soft T-shirt that doesn't cost in excess of $100. Ralph Lauren isn't doing anything magic to make their T-shirts softer than any other. They're just putting their logo somewhere on the tag. That's all it is. It's not an amazingly better T-shirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 07:47 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,417 times
The Situation and his ilk.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:54 PM

40 posts, read 67,077 times
It depends on its quailty.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:21 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
cotton varies

here is some light reading on cotton

Types of cotton (http://www.cottonguide.org/chapter-5/types-of-cotton - broken link)

there is also an area on price differentials
I cannot discern any difference between one and another. They all feel like cotton to me.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You've just invalidated the entire thread. What nonsense.
How does it invalidate it? There is no difference between your 300 count sheets and 600 count sheets. They feel exactly the same to me, and do not justify a price differential.

So far as I know, there is absolutely no difference between the T-shirt I'm wearing now, and that T-shirt. They look the same, they feel the same, mine's one-tenth the price.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
The fact that they feel the same to you, only indicates that you have a very insignificant sense of touch. It is ludicrous for you to imply that there is no difference, when my son, at 5 years old, could tell the difference in 180 and 300 thread count sheets. What an absurd assertion.
The emperor has new clothes, and special people can see how fine they are...

Old 05-03-2011, 05:55 AM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,389 times
I have very sensitive skin and I can tell the difference between 300 and 600 thread count. I refuse to sleep (at home) on anything less then 350 thread count.. The $5 cotton t-shirt is much more rough then the $50 cotton t-shirt. I would never buy a $50 t-shirt though.. that is absurd, but when I shop for clothes the first thing I do is run my hands along the fabric. I have very sensitive skin.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:10 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times
I can't believe threads like this are still going.

Really, why do you care what other people spend their money on and judge them for it with all the emperor comments, etc?

Other people's bank accounts are their own business. I find all the comments regarding people who buy $50 t shirts FAR more petty and superficial, than the action of buying $50 t shirts in the first place.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:17 AM

37,613 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
How does it invalidate it? There is no difference between your 300 count sheets and 600 count sheets. They feel exactly the same to me, and do not justify a price differential.

So far as I know, there is absolutely no difference between the T-shirt I'm wearing now, and that T-shirt. They look the same, they feel the same, mine's one-tenth the price.
You asked a question about difference cost of fabrics, and why people would pay more. When you are given reasons, you insist that there is no difference because YOU cannot tell a difference, and therefore, it must be marketing, and people that buy the more expensive fabric are being simpletons.

THAT'S why. Why bother posting the question in the first place? You simply refuse to believe anything other than what you already do, as is often the case. It's a waste of words and typing to post further.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:41 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,082 times
"Cotton is cotton is cotton" is a lie, similar to "wool is wool is wool."

Egyptian cotton is the finest and when that is in a shirt....wow. I bought a heavily discounted Egpytian cotton shirt made from Italian woven fabric for $35 at Nordstrom rack.

Pima (aka American Egyptian) falls slightly below Egyptian in softness and strength. Quite nice. I have a Ralph Lauren Golf polo made from this. It was $85 clearanced to $29 in Grandad's pro shop.

Sea Island cotton is the most expensive that I have seen, but apparently it's magnificent. At $120 for an undershirt made from it at Brooks Brothers, I doubt I will regardless of my wealth.

All three of the above are different breeds of the same cotton species: gossypium barbadense (long fibre, soft, and very strong).

Of the common cotton, one can discern a difference based on the fabric type (cavalry twill, interlock, twill, denim, corduroy, seersucker, jersey, poplin etc) and how the cotton was treated. A regular Ralph Lauren polo feels much better to the hand (and holds up to washes better) than its $15 equivalent at Kohl's. A better strain of cotton, better brushed, and woven to a higher thread count will yield that.

Would I pay $150 for a Burberry polo? No. The logo is handsome, but the fabric's hand is no better than a $50 Ben Sherman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty