Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 03:30 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,024,595 times

Advertisements

I have been reading about Argan oil and it seems to have many uses. It comes from the nut of a bush that grows in Morocco. It's an earth friendly oil to buy and it has an extensive root system that is helping to keep the Sahara Desert from expanding. It's used in cooking and cosmetics. It tastes to me, a little like toasted nuts.

I saw some the other day and was shocked at the price. $40 for an 8.5oz bottle. A little expensive for cooking oil IMHO. But after reading, I went back and bought it. I probably won't use it for cooking but I will use it on my skin/hair. The price is much more reasonable for cosmetic uses. That bottle will last for more than a year, I'm sure.

First, I added a couple drops to my hair conditioner and the results were good. It left my hair shiny, soft, and smooth. Without being oily. Next I put some on my face and it actually made a difference. My skin was smoother and wrinkles were less noticeable, it improved the tone of my skin too. I put some on my hands and lower arms and 24+ hours later, you can still tell the difference. What is did the most for my lower arms was minimize the appearance of sun damage.

It's a very light oil and it is easily absorbed. It doesn't stay 'greasy'. I really like it and you may want to give it a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 05:14 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,525,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I have been reading about Argan oil and it seems to have many uses. It comes from the nut of a bush that grows in Morocco. It's an earth friendly oil to buy and it has an extensive root system that is helping to keep the Sahara Desert from expanding. It's used in cooking and cosmetics. It tastes to me, a little like toasted nuts.

I saw some the other day and was shocked at the price. $40 for an 8.5oz bottle. A little expensive for cooking oil IMHO. But after reading, I went back and bought it. I probably won't use it for cooking but I will use it on my skin/hair. The price is much more reasonable for cosmetic uses. That bottle will last for more than a year, I'm sure.

First, I added a couple drops to my hair conditioner and the results were good. It left my hair shiny, soft, and smooth. Without being oily. Next I put some on my face and it actually made a difference. My skin was smoother and wrinkles were less noticeable, it improved the tone of my skin too. I put some on my hands and lower arms and 24+ hours later, you can still tell the difference. What is did the most for my lower arms was minimize the appearance of sun damage.

It's a very light oil and it is easily absorbed. It doesn't stay 'greasy'. I really like it and you may want to give it a try.
Argan oil is amazing! Luckily I brought back a lot of it on my last trip to Morocco.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:26 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,937,370 times
I had similar positive results with African Shea butter.

The bottom of my feet tends to get dry so I massage it into my feet.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I had similar positive results with African Shea butter.

The bottom of my feet tends to get dry so I massage it into my feet.
Mixing a little argan oil with shea butter (plus a few drops of an essential oil) is pure heaven!

Old 05-17-2011, 07:43 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,937,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Mixing a little argan oil with shea butter (plus a few drops of an essential oil) is pure heaven!
Can you recommend an essential oil?

Old 05-17-2011, 09:19 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I let my hairdresser put it on my hair last time as she'd been raving about it, but I thought it was too greasy. Maybe it was too much...

I'm a bit afraid of trying exotic oils on my face lately after a huge disaster with emu oil, which some also find to be very beneficial. I hadn't had such a break-out in ages! I've no problems with olive and almond oil. Recently dared try jojoba and coconut oil and was OK with them, too, but that emu screwed me big time! Perhaps because it's derived from an animal...

Old 05-18-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Can you recommend an essential oil?
Some of my favs are jasmine, myrrh and tuberose or rose oil

Essential Oils from Mountain Rose Herbs

or any store like Whole Foods Market

Old 05-18-2011, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I let my hairdresser put it on my hair last time as she'd been raving about it, but I thought it was too greasy. Maybe it was too much...

I'm a bit afraid of trying exotic oils on my face lately after a huge disaster with emu oil, which some also find to be very beneficial. I hadn't had such a break-out in ages! I've no problems with olive and almond oil. Recently dared try jojoba and coconut oil and was OK with them, too, but that emu screwed me big time! Perhaps because it's derived from an animal...
The argan oil is very, very light and absorbs very quickly into the skin and hair cuticles. A little bit goes a long way.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:50 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,249,260 times
I use argan in my hair daily. It has made such a huge difference. Not only do I regularly flat iron my hair (naturally curly) but I also color/highlight my hair blonde ... my hairdresser/colorist says that my hair should be like straw but that the use of proper products has helped maintain its health.

I highly recommend this to anyone who has dry/course/color-treated hair or even those who have normal hair. I suspect if you have oily hair though it may be too much.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:55 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,420,534 times
I just bought two jars of this stuff today - what a deal!

Spa Wisdom™ Morocco Black Olive & Argan Oil Scrub | The Body Shop ®

I am wondering if this is the same stuff that a colleague of mine recommended I pick up at Sally Beauty Supply - she called it Moroccan Oil. Her hair was so shiny and healthy-looking I had to ask her what her secret was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty