Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
Yes 28 16.09%
No 146 83.91%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 09:41 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times

Advertisements

As they say, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I am a guy, I find other guys......well......yuck.

I guess that there are lots of women and some men who go gaga over black guys, fine with me.

I have about zero attraction to black and asian women, white ladies are the tops.......big deal...... takes nothing away from anyone.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:05 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Okay.

Right lol.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:54 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
[quote=itshim;19339185]
Quote:
I think "African American" is just a way to dinstinguish between black American cultures from other black cultures (e.g Jamiacan, Hatian, Nigerian etc).
I disagree. I think theres alot of genetic differences aswell. You often tell a black american apart from an african

Quote:
In regards to Lisa Raye, I think what people identify as and what they actually are can be two different things. If racial identity were completely left to observation and anything less concrete, then arguably Lisa Raye could wake up tomorrow and call herself "white" if that is in fact what she saw in the mirror.
This is ridiculous. In no way does lisa raye look even remotely white. Lisa raye is black because both of her parents are black. Same thing with asians,whites etc

Quote:
It sounds more like a choice, as opposed to something that is evidently beyond ones control. All in all, the lighter skinned "blacks" who identify as "black" are technically "mixed" with a large percentage of non-black blood. Not ALL African Americans have the same admixture from other races as some are attempting to claim here.
You have no idea on what your talking about. Just because some one is light skinned doesnt mean that they're mixed. I clearly showcased that with my cousins. Two are extremely light skinned and one is dark skin they all have the same parents

Quote:
I think that you're glossing over it because there really isn't a plausible way to legitimately explain how someone can be 99% white and 1% black and still be as black as someone who is 99% black and 1% white. It definately is not the same in genetic/aesthetic sense. The similarities between the two do not extend beyond culture.
This doesnt make sense for obvious reasons. Nobody can be 99% white or black

Quote:
Quote:
Personally, I think she is clearly of African and mixed heritage.
What makes you so sure that she is mixed.

In america "mixed" means half black half other

Old 05-28-2011, 06:28 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
No, mixed means mixed. To any degree.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:57 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
No, mixed means mixed. To any degree.
mixed mainly means this and that. Like i said all blacks are "mixed" in the way your describing

Old 05-30-2011, 03:31 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times
There is this black gal at work. I see her at the company cafeteria all the time. I always notice she goes to the cafeteria around 11:30a, so i usually go to lunch at that time also to check her out. One of the most beautiful gals i've ever seen of any race. Tall and slender with a supermodel face. She is an Engineer too....

Old 05-30-2011, 09:43 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,482,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
There is this black gal at work. I see her at the company cafeteria all the time. I always notice she goes to the cafeteria around 11:30a, so i usually go to lunch at that time also to check her out. One of the most beautiful gals i've ever seen of any race. Tall and slender with a supermodel face. She is an Engineer too....
I hear you, man. Met a gorgeous black lady B.S. in chemical engineering in Houston , similar 5'11" with an Iman-looking face (not Somalian but mixed black, middle-eastern, and Irish) and married her! Best thing I ever did in my life. So when are you going to offer to buy her a coffee and doughnut? You'd be surprised, she might even let you. I thought I was way too dorky for my wife but she still said yes!

Old 05-31-2011, 12:56 PM

717 posts, read 898,765 times
Yes. I honestly think we are.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:12 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,482,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
As they say, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I am a guy, I find other guys......well......yuck.

I guess that there are lots of women and some men who go gaga over black guys, fine with me.

I have about zero attraction to black and asian women, white ladies are the tops.......big deal...... takes nothing away from anyone.

OK, so you like being a bottom? I see. That's Ok, it takes all kinds, I guess. ... I respect your preferences of course., Personally I prefer being the top for a sexy buxom little African princess. We all gotta do what we gotta do.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:43 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
I dont believe in the term "African-American" Im not AA im Black. And black ranges in color from extra light to wesley snipes..and everything in between.
I agree with this statement. White people get to be white. They don't say they are British- Americans. Unless you or your folks just got off the boat from another country you don't worry about any sort of dash to distinguish it. Ive heard some Asian cultures saying things like second or third generation this and that but most black people have been here longer then that and didn't come here voluntarily so why claim another continent at all? People will say they are Irish or that thy are Italian but they leave the -American part off in most casual conversation.

For reference: Charlieze Theron is an African-American.

As far as mixed goes that I think is mostly a an American term. Most people who are proud of their heritage and what's makes them will just spell it out country by country and parent by parent. Some people will just say mixed in a slightly dismissive or derrigatory way because they don't care to find out anything more - they are just "not white." some guys I've known will think a chick is hot "but she's mixed" and will be on a mission to find out what she's made up of. if they find out she has black or African blood in her she suddenly won't be hot or as hot anymore, I mean I could see the disappointment on their faces or hear it in their voices.

Dark skinned actors and actresses aren't shunned or regarded as not as pretty AS MUCH any more but I think a light skinned actress has a better chance in Hollywood as a dark skinned one. However when it comes to supermodels I have seen more then a few dark ebony skinned women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty