Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
Yes 28 16.09%
No 146 83.91%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 09:01 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times

Advertisements

I think people are playing with semantics here. What I think the poster was referring to was someone who obviously did exhibit what we tend to think of eurocentric phenotypes in their appearence.

We can all argue that Martin lawrence, Eddie Murphy, Whoopie Goldberg etc etc may have some "indian, white chinese, thai and somoan" in their background--and I say that faceiously, but I think what the person is eluding to is the idea that the "less black" someone appears, the more attractive they are to some people. I'm not saying it's right, but I agree that the idea is somewhat prevelent even within the black community itself.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:11 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Actually, they were arguing that the attractive black women have some white in them, not that they were biracial, so you didn't do anything to disprove their idiotic theory.

You keep contradicting yourself. First you say that all black Americans are "mutts", then you say that Lisa Raye is 100% black. That makes no sense. Having two parents that identify as black does not make you fully black.
Black people by default are comprised of multi-generational mixing. That is the essence of a "black american". I dont think they were talking about it in that sense. They were talking about women who were directly half black and half white such as halle berry. Furthermore they believe any women whose attractive must be directly mixed as in half black, half other. Which is not the case. Blacks are multi genarational mixed not directly mixed

When i say "black" i mean black american. And yes all blacks are mutts. But not in the same sense as being half black and half white.
Quote:
And I'll ask you again, how do you know that none of these women aren't half something else? Are these pictures of your friends?
These women described themselves as being african american.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sankofa View Post
We are not mutts by nature but instead because of human actions. Have you ever traveled to Africa?? There are people there with different skin tones just like here. You may not see them in US media. You say people are confusing Black americans with Africans - What is the difference in Black Americans and Africans other than where they live?
There are blacks that can pass for african, and there are africans that can pass for black american. But overall blacks in the US look different from africans born in africa. I live in nyc and im surrounded by africans and overall we're different culturally and visually

Old 05-26-2011, 10:19 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
That argument doesnt make sense. Black people by default are comprised of multi-generational mixing. That is the essence of a "black american". That reasoning would only make sense if they were talking about africans(as in directly from africa) beauty alone. All black women may have some white in them whether they are attractive or not. I dont think they were talking about it in that sense. They were talking about women who were directly half black and half white such as halle berry. Furthermore they believe any women whose attractive must be directly mixed as in half black, half other. Which is not the case. Blacks are multi genarational mixed not directly mixed

When i say "black" i mean black american. And yes all blacks are mutts. But not in the same sense as being half black and half white.
You can't just make up your own definitions, guy. "Black" means of African descent, not just Americans of Black African descent. Again, Lisa Raye may have two parents who identify has Black, but that does not make her fully black. For someone to be 100% anything means that their genetic makeup is composed of only ONE race.

Not one of those posters arguing mixed black women were beautiful said anything about only biracial women. Ask them if you don't believe me.

Quote:
These women described themselves as being african american.
Alicia Keys and Halle Berry call themselves African American. They both have white mothers.

So, for the third time, do you know for a fact that any of the women in those pictures do not have a non-black parent?

Old 05-26-2011, 10:28 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,235 times
My great grandfather is white who married a black lady who had a biracial son who is my grandfather who married a black woman who had my mother who married a black man. So what does that make me LOL, I see where K.O. is coming from.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:33 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchas View Post
My great grandfather is white who married a black lady who had a biracial son who is my grandfather who married a black woman who had my mother who married a black man. So what does that make me LOL, I see where K.O. is coming from.
Here's the deal, the definition of "mixed" doesn't state to what extent you must contain some other race.

The safest way to call it is this: if you can look at a person and tell that they have some other race in them, and that person is aware of what that race is, just consider them mixed.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:36 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,235 times
Quote:
Here's the deal, the definition of "mixed" doesn't state to what extent you must contain some other race.

The safest way to call it is this: if you can look at a person and tell that they have some other race in them, and that person is aware of what that race is, just consider them mixed.

I agree

Old 05-26-2011, 11:13 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
When I think mixed, I think of a person who obviously gets some of their features from some other race than black. I would bet that every single one of those women has atleast one grandparent who is not black.
I grew up with A LOT of Black Creoles here in Los Angeles (whose roots were in Louisiana) so I have a different perspective. You can have generation upon generation of lighter skin Black Creoles intermarrying with each other so that although a person can have two "Black" (Creole) parents the children are light complexioned because both parents and both sets of grandparents are ALL light skinned. These are obviously people of both African and European ancestry but their complexion is not attributed to having one White and one Black parent. An example would be the DeBarge family.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:27 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I grew up with A LOT of Black Creoles here in Los Angeles (whose roots were in Louisiana) so I have a different perspective. You can have generation upon generation of lighter skin Black Creoles intermarrying with each other so that although a person can have two "Black" (Creole) parents the children are light complexioned because both parents and both sets of grandparents are ALL light skinned. These are obviously people of both African and European ancestry but their complexion is not attributed to having one White and one Black parent. An example would be the DeBarge family.

Theis is my friend. She is black creole. She is light light skinned, could be a tan white person. She has a thin nose and long wavy curly/wavy hair. I thought she was greek when I first met her.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:32 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Yeah, they're so unattractive and all..........
To me, they are. Too lumpy. I dont like all those muscles with veins showing. Ick. Not my type, black, white or polka-dotted. If they're built that way I dont want them. I like mine nerdy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Seriously? I prefer white guys overall, but those guys were hotter than hell!
Then hell for me will be ice cold....I wouldnt look at them twice. Those are the kind of guys that when they approach me, I shoot down cold and pass along to a buddy. Not worth my time or effort.

Last edited by JustJulia; 05-27-2011 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: Removed reference to deleted comment.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:49 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Quote:
You can't just make up your own definitions, guy. "Black" means of African descent, not just Americans of Black African descent. Again, Lisa Raye may have two parents who identify has Black, but that does not make her fully black. For someone to be 100% anything means that their genetic makeup is composed of only ONE race.

Not one of those posters arguing mixed black women were beautiful said anything about only biracial women. Ask them if you don't believe me.

Alicia Keys and Halle Berry call themselves African American. They both have white mothers.

So, for the third time, do you know for a fact that any of the women in those pictures do not have a non-black parent?
Its not really my definition. The usage of the word black is largely an american construction. Used to define the descendants of slaves here in america. It is, for the most part, a word to describe americans. Thats why you have some caribbeans,hispanics etc that are as dark as night, claiming they are not "black"

I think the problem is we are confusing biracial with mixed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty