Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
Yes 28 16.09%
No 146 83.91%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 11:52 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,087,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchas View Post
My great grandfather is white who married a black lady who had a biracial son who is my grandfather who married a black woman who had my mother who married a black man. So what does that make me LOL, I see where K.O. is coming from.
basically my paternal family line follows yours to a tee. At the end of the day it all equates to just being black

Old 05-27-2011, 12:22 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,520,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Its not really my definition. The usage of the word black is largely an american construction. Used to define the descendants of slaves here in america. It is, for the most part, a word to describe americans. Thats why you have some caribbeans,hispanics etc that are as dark as night, claiming they are not "black"

I think the problem is we are confusing biracial with mixed
Exactly this.

Many people whom we in America consider "Black" would not be considered "Black" in many other places in the world. Examples would be Mariah Carey, Soledad O'Brien or Wentworth Miller. And actually, many people who come to America from other countries (especially Latin America) who may have very slightly distinguishable African features are surprised that in America they are considered "Black".

The America definition for Black is based strongly upon the "one-drop rule" and the Slave codes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which were stringent rules to discourage the intermarriage between free Whites, indentured Whites, free Blacks and enslaved Blacks. Many of the attitudes that exist in America today regarding race can be traced back to these rules of law.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:02 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I think people are playing with semantics here. What I think the poster was referring to was someone who obviously did exhibit what we tend to think of eurocentric phenotypes in their appearence.

We can all argue that Martin lawrence, Eddie Murphy, Whoopie Goldberg etc etc may have some "indian, white chinese, thai and somoan" in their background--and I say that faceiously, but I think what the person is eluding to is the idea that the "less black" someone appears, the more attractive they are to some people. I'm not saying it's right, but I agree that the idea is somewhat prevelent even within the black community itself.
Exactly, it's fairly obvious when someone is not fully of African ancestry, those who deny it are just closing their eyes. The pictures the other poster showed were clearly of women who were 'mixed-race'. The fact they both had 'black' parents is meaningless, as in America black just means you have some African ancestry.

Another example of blindly disregarding the facts so as not to offend people...it is true in the African American community and mainstream American community is that female African Americans with more mixed features are definitely preferred. I'm not approving of it, for goodness sake, but it's the truth and it's a bitter pill to swallow. You can just pretend it's not so by continually denying it but objectively it's plain as day.

I already gave the example of most black sitcoms featuring females who are significantly paler than their male counterparts. This is a fantasy family; in the real world, if Bill Cosby had kids it's no more likely his son would be darker than his daughters, some of whom could almost pass as whites or at least Latino/Middle easterners in skin tone.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sankofa View Post
Oh my goodness - thanks for making me laugh so hard I cried!! What is a pure African women in the US ?? Do you really think you can tell by just looking?? Genetics can be very deceiving from the outside. Are there any pure Africans Americans in the US? Just because a person is very dark - does that make them pure? Did you know that there are dark skin African American women that look like Serena/Venus who are not pure African???

Genetics is a fascinating study -
Er, it just shows your unfamiliarity with actual West Africans living in AFRICA. Americans think someone like Denzel Washington is 100% black for goodness sake.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:06 AM

Quote:
The point is mixed means= half this and half thati.e half black/half white. It was implied earlier that most black women of beauty,were so because they were mixed. Which is truly not the case. Thus i showcased women who have black parents that have attractive features aswell

We black(americans) people are mutts by nature. So its no point in even bringing the whole "mixed" thing up anyway. Like i said people were confusing black americans with africans

The australian dude brought up national geographic.lol. Your chances of seeing a lisa raye(the chick in the silver bikini above) is slim to none. But shes still 100% black
She ain't 100% black by a long shot. If you plopped her in the middle of a Nigerian village and told everyone she's 100% black they would laugh at you.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:46 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,087,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
She ain't 100% black by a long shot. If you plopped her in the middle of a Nigerian village and told everyone she's 100% black they would laugh at you.
Correction- Shes not 100% African. Big difference. She is 100% black. You keep confusing black american with west african. Denzel is 100% black

Quote:
Exactly, it's fairly obvious when someone is not fully of African ancestry, those who deny it are just closing their eyes. The pictures the other poster showed were clearly of women who were 'mixed-race'. The fact they both had 'black' parents is meaningless, as in America black just means you have some African ancestry.

Another example of blindly disregarding the facts so as not to offend people...it is true in the African American community and mainstream American community is that female African Americans with more mixed features are definitely preferred. I'm not approving of it, for goodness sake, but it's the truth and it's a bitter pill to swallow. You can just pretend it's not so by continually denying it but objectively it's plain as day.

I already gave the example of most black sitcoms featuring females who are significantly paler than their male counterparts. This is a fantasy family; in the real world, if Bill Cosby had kids it's no more likely his son would be darker than his daughters, some of whom could almost pass as whites or at least Latino/Middle easterners in skin tone.
Like i've said before all blacks in america are not fully african. No black american is more mixed than the other unless they are directly bi-racial-As in one black parent and one white parent

I have three first cousins. Two of them are as light as day(the oldest and the youngest) They look biracial to be honest, but their parents(my aunt and uncle) are just black. The middle sister is dark skinned they dont even look like sisters yet they all have the same mother and father. One is not any more mixed than the other even though there is a huge difference in skin color. Thats very prevalent in the black community

Old 05-27-2011, 08:10 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,520,923 times
Quote:
Correction- Shes not 100% African. Big difference. She is 100% black. You keep confusing black american with west african. Denzel is 100% black

Like i've said before all blacks in america are not fully african. No black american is more mixed than the other unless they are directly bi-racial-As in one black parent and one white parent

I have three first cousins. Two of them are as light as day(the oldest and the youngest) They look biracial to be honest, but their parents(my aunt and uncle) are just black. The middle sister is dark skinned they dont even look like sisters yet they all have the same mother and father. One is not any more mixed than the other even though there is a huge difference in skin color. Thats very prevalent in the black community
For the sake of clarity....

100% Black (in the minds of most) translates into having 2 parents who think of themselves (and who culturally identify) as Black regardless of how dark they happen to be or the percentage of non-African ancestry they have in their lineage. Vanessa Williams and Colin Powell fit into this category.

100% Black does not mean 100% African in America.

ETA: The issue of mixed race heritage can be a "tricky" issue to comprehend for those who are outside of the African American community. The reason is because many Black Americans are light skin because of their female ancestors being raped by slave masters during slavery (and even by White men after slavery was abolished). It wasn't as if these women had a choice in many cases. This is one of the reasons that many Blacks, especially from the older generations, refuse to acknowledge their obvious non-African ancestry. It can be a very painful topic. My great-grands on my father's side could "pass" for White (two of them actually crossed over and lived as "White") but this was not a result of a consensual relationship so they refused to discuss their lighter coloring.

Last edited by calipoppy; 05-27-2011 at 08:21 AM..

Old 05-27-2011, 08:19 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,006,642 times
Quote:

I have to disagree on a couple of points here. First, I think being "black" is a "racial" designation based on aesthetic/genetic inheritence. Anyone from almost anywhere can be "black." What I think you're referring to is African-American culture. I think someone such as Lisa Raye is African American but not necessarily "black." I personally don't believe that they are mutually inclusive.

Also although most African Americans are mixed to some extent--we are all mixed in different percentages. I'd hardly draw the parallels between someone who is 99% white and 1% black with someone who is 99% black and 1% white. On a racial genetic level, it's hardly the same.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:30 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,313,769 times
This is kind of stupid. Since beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:58 AM

950 posts, read 1,514,557 times
Quote:

None of the daughters on The Cosby Show look White. Unless you have a very broad definition of White. No one would confuse Lisa Bonet for example as being part of the same race as Taylor Swift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.