Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 07:26 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I like boring clothes. (on me)

I do not like wild prints, I don't like most colors.

My FIL wears those hideous Haw shirts, they are loud and obnoxious, and plain ugly.

I do like camoflauge prints though, but as a middle age man, no, I don't wear loud clothing at all.
and I don't wear many colors either, as to many colorful things makes my stomach queasy....
Then I'd stop eating them if I were you. Stay particularly away from Jello, Skittles and M&Ms!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 10:59 PM

628 posts, read 1,389,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Hippies wore dirty jeans and t-shirts. Never saw any military uniforms or anything interesting. There are always a few people around who think of their clothing as an artistic statement, regardless of the year. But most adults are wearing clothing so we aren't naked and just want to blend.
"Naked" doesn't exist as a concept, "wearing clothes" is an act, it is something you are doing. When you are not "wearing clothes" you are just being yourself.

Blending is helpful when you are trying not to be noticed, but if there is no important reason why you are trying to "blend" such as if you are being stalked, then ask yourself this: are you "blending" because you WANT to or are you just doing it because everyone else is?

Old 08-03-2013, 01:11 AM

318 posts, read 625,952 times
I'm a fairly conservative dresser but I don't think I'm boring. I don't really wear bright colours or anything revealing (most I ever reveal is my arms and legs), I tend to wear understated, simple and classic stuff that don't go out of fashion.

If that makes me boring, oh well.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:09 AM

64 posts, read 193,032 times
Jeans + T-Shirt + Unbuttoned short-sleeve blouse w/pattern.
The jeans don't have to be blue, so long as they are a solid color that matches the blouse and t-shirt.
The unbuttoned blouse can be long-sleeve on cooler days, like in fall or spring.
Can add a vest, and/or swap blouse for a coat, in late fall, early spring, or winter.

Lots of combos can be made with this basic casual clothing lineup.
Dresses could be warn when going out to a really nice place.

The outer blouse can be taken off if it's too hot, and you'll still look decent outside.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:32 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Jeans, for instance, they're so damn dull and conformist! There are millions of colours out there why are almost all jeans blue? I've seen weird coloured jeans and stuff but you have to go to speciality stores. Also, clothing, especially for guys, is so practical there's nothing fashionable about it. If you try to be a bit fashionable you're 'gay.' Even those who are fashionable stick to conservative things like pants etc. It's a bit better for women but they too just wear what everybody else does. I liked the 60s when hippies etc wore some really cool looking clothes, you'd see dandies sporting these like 17-th century style military uniforms or tie-dyed kafkas or whatever, it was groovy. I never lived those times but what I would give to!
Comfort. Sorry but I dress for me not you and I want to be comfortable in what I wear so that's my favorite jeans or shorts and loose t-shirts. If you like to spend your money differently, go right ahead. I refuse to trade comfort for style so I only by in style when it's comfortable and I wear things until they can't be repaired.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:52 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,784 times
I don't need to stand out or have people staring at me when I just want to buy groceries.
I'm expected to conform at work.
I don't feel looking like Lady Gaga or hippies. So what if I blend in? No one cares, and I agree with PP that I refuse to trade comfort for style just so I can make some random stranger happy that I chose something that stands out. I don't think I look good in a lot of loud, bright colors - not with my skin tone and height. Most of what I do outside of work are things like hiking and biking, so crazy colored jeans and fancy blouses with lots of accessories are going to make me miserable, and they aren't going to work. But I don't find what I wear boring at all. I wear what I love, and that's what matters. Unless you are going to buy for me, you get no say.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:57 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Comfort. Sorry but I dress for me not you and I want to be comfortable in what I wear so that's my favorite jeans or shorts and loose t-shirts. If you like to spend your money differently, go right ahead. I refuse to trade comfort for style so I only by in style when it's comfortable and I wear things until they can't be repaired.
Same here. Being on your feet all day, plus getting kind of old, definitely makes comfort more important than it was when I was young. But I actually don't find jeans comfortable at all - I am known at work for wearing a jersey knit dress every day, and comfort shoes. Denim and other pants fabrics just feel too binding for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty