Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2007, 06:28 PM

660 posts, read 2,441,187 times

Advertisements

hey everyone
was wondering if tanning lotion (not the sunless ones)works for really pale people ones that have alot of freckles or are just pale
not trying to offend anyone but not everybody is graced with a nice tan
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 04:38 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,449,916 times
It seems to have worked for my cousin. Have no idea what she used, but it looked natural.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:43 AM

6 posts, read 32,854 times
Well im very pale, just my irish skin I guess. LOL. I have used tanning lotions before and they have worked. My advice to you, is not to pick a really dark 1, as you can look really weird. 1 day your pale and the next your really dark. LOL. If you can buy the 1s that you gradullay build up over a few days, it will look a lot more natural. Good Luck

Old 08-06-2007, 06:38 AM

2,636 posts, read 6,649,419 times
Just to add to what kelkiss5 said, remember about hair colour too. You won't look right if your skin is really dark but you're hair is blonde or light brown.

Last edited by happynoodleboycey; 08-06-2007 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: rewording

Old 09-25-2007, 11:36 AM

1,913 posts, read 8,907,719 times
Smile I'm forever curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_firefly View Post
hey everyone
was wondering if tanning lotion (not the sunless ones)works for really pale people ones that have alot of freckles or are just pale
not trying to offend anyone but not everybody is graced with a nice tan
Not sure if I'm reading this correctly. Are you asking about lotions to lay in the sun with or the tan-in-a-tube lotions/self-tanners???

Quote:
*(not the sunless ones)*
I would think you're referring to the lotions to lay in the sun with?

But anyways....

I also have a very fair complexion, light hair, light eyes...recipe for disaster if I did lay in the sun!...needless to say, I do not sunbathe.
Besides for the obvious reasons ie., risk of skin cancer, it's also a quick way to age your skin.

As far as self-tanners go...I used one once and that was enough!...the "tan" came out looking OK, but the odor it left on my skin was not very pleasant.
The funky odor is due to the chemical reaction taking place between your skin and the key ingredient in sunless tanners — dihydroxyacetone (DHA).

It’s that reaction that causes your skin color to turn "tan".
The smell typically goes away when you next shower. But still....
However, I searched and found many newer products — including self-tanners by Chanel, Clarins and Bliss — manage to mask the characteristic sunless-tanner aroma with other scents.

I've embraced my Irish heritage and accepted my fair skin for what it is...

Old 09-25-2007, 11:59 AM

660 posts, read 2,441,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
Not sure if I'm reading this correctly. Are you asking about lotions to lay in the sun with or the tan-in-a-tube lotions/self-tanners???

I would think you're referring to the lotions to lay in the sun with?

But anyways....

I also have a very fair complexion, light hair, light eyes...recipe for disaster if I did lay in the sun!...needless to say, I do not sunbathe.
Besides for the obvious reasons ie., risk of skin cancer, it's also a quick way to age your skin.

As far as self-tanners go...I used one once and that was enough!...the "tan" came out looking OK, but the odor it left on my skin was not very pleasant.
The funky odor is due to the chemical reaction taking place between your skin and the key ingredient in sunless tanners — dihydroxyacetone (DHA).

It’s that reaction that causes your skin color to turn "tan".
The smell typically goes away when you next shower. But still....
However, I searched and found many newer products — including self-tanners by Chanel, Clarins and Bliss — manage to mask the characteristic sunless-tanner aroma with other scents.

I've embraced my Irish heritage and accepted my fair skin for what it is...
yeah the lay in the sun/tanning bed i luckily dont have pale skin but my cousin does

Old 09-25-2007, 01:02 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Thumbs up Hawaiian Tropic Island Glow Daily Moisturizer

Not sure if OP was talking about self-tanners or not, but I am pale and I have found one product I use primarily on my legs (I like to wear capris and long dresses, skirts with no hose.) It is Hawaiian Tropic Island Glow Daily. (a moisturizer mixed with self-tanner) It comes in a product for light skin and one for med/dark. I actually ended up using the medium because it is very subtle. If you are very pale, you should probably try the light first. The scent is very pleasant and light (...and trust me on this, I am VERY sensitive to odors/scent in a product. I prefer everything fragrance free really!) But this scent, at least to me, is very inoffensive. This product is excellent for pale skin because it is sooo subtle.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:33 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Kay, does this product have an orangy cast to it? Can you use it on your face? I have been wanting to try a self tanner, but I remember what they looked like years ago when they first hit the market. I remember my sister used themm and she was always orangeThen when it started to fade it looked like orange measles I am also fair skinned.... ..Are we loving this forum or not

Old 09-25-2007, 01:49 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Kay, does this product have an orangy cast to it? Can you use it on your face? I have been wanting to try a self tanner, but I remember what they looked like years ago when they first hit the market. I remember my sister used themm and she was always orangeThen when it started to fade it looked like orange measles I am also fair skinned.... ..Are we loving this forum or not
No, I think they are much better about producing a natural color. Again, the product I recommended is VERY subtle. I think you can use it on your face although I don't personally.

And yes...I would say we are loving this forum!

Old 09-25-2007, 02:33 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,383 times
Blue, I think it is Jergens that has a facial sunless tanner that is mixed with a moisturizer. It is really subtle. There is a lady that I work with who uses it and I was surprised when she told me it was fake. Definitely a far cry above the quality of the originals!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty