Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 08:40 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times

Advertisements

Almost every piece of clothing/footwear that is "so comfortable" looks sloppy imo. Comfortable is fine, but "so comfortable" is usually ugly and sloppy.

Flip flops are ugly (glamourized or not), sneakers are ugly (especially light colors, those are awful!!!), but that is just my opinion.

People may wear whatever they please, though. Fashion is something most people will never agree about, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 08:52 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Hahaha cool! I have them in purple! They are the best. Just wear them you can't please everyone.
I must admit I'm a bit of a sneakerhead. I love all different types of sneakers. I have a lot more pairs of sneakers than I have dress shoes, even though I have to wear dress shoes to work.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:41 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,425 times
I disagree with sneakers for comfort. They're perfect for short bursts of athletic activity (a match/game or an hour/two in the gym), but they don't breathe and my feet overheat. Leather shoes (boat shoes, loafers, and oxfords/derby shoes) are much better. Comfy ones can be found in the 80-120 range, maybe less on sale.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:16 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Flip flops are something I will never wear -- just can't handle the posts between my toes. That and my innate klutzy-ness -- I gotta have straps around my heels to keep the shoes on...

Old 06-25-2011, 01:56 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
What are "trainers"? You so you "notice a lot of disdain of wearing trainers outside of a gym....." who are these folks who show "disdain" against them? You say you "NOTICE A LOT" of disdain? If we are talking tennis shoes then I dont really see a problem. But I do kinda understand. My wife is someone who would ONLY wear tennis shoes if she's actually doing some type of sport. Other than that, its fashinable pumps or flats or something similar.
"What are "trainers"?"

Really?

Old 06-25-2011, 07:58 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,490 times
I've never heard them called "trainers" before. Like the ones in the pic posted, I always thought they were just called running shoes. But I don't see anything wrong with wearing them. They are very comfortable, so I wear them most of the time.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:22 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
I disagree with sneakers for comfort. They're perfect for short bursts of athletic activity (a match/game or an hour/two in the gym), but they don't breathe and my feet overheat. Leather shoes (boat shoes, loafers, and oxfords/derby shoes) are much better. Comfy ones can be found in the 80-120 range, maybe less on sale.
I think it depends on what type of sneaker you're wearing. I find my sneakers to be much more comfortable for light activity and hanging around in than shoes.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:34 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
"Trainers" is a British term. Not sure if the OP is British, or just adopting a term. It's not really any more weird than saying "sneakers," actually, it's more descriptive...shoes you train in, athletically. Why are sneakers sneakers? When's the last time you wore them for the express purpose of being stealthy?

Athletic shoes look fine with athletic and/or casual (jeans/t-shirt type casual, not business casual) attire.

There are some women who are the self-professed "would NEVER wear athletic shoes" type, but they're also usually the type who just don't dress casually or sportily.

Mostly, if I'm wearing athletic shoes, I'm wearing them for functionality versus fashion (my Nike or Saucony running shoes when I'm actually exercising, or just doing a lot of walking), but i do wear sneakers for fashion at times...just usually the Converse Chuck Taylor or suede Puma type sneakers, not ones you'd wear necessarily to exercise in. More "street shoes." But I wear athletic shoes actually designed for exercise whenever I'm doing something where I'd want the extra cushioning or support.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:37 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
There are some women who are the self-professed "would NEVER wear athletic shoes" type, but they're also usually the type who just don't dress casually or sportily.
I don't wear athletic shoes outside of my workouts. If I'm dressing casually I'm usually wearing flats or sandals (or boots in the winter.) There's this look that I really don't like where you see women wearing denim capris with honking white gym shoes. It just screams "soccer mom!" and I'm trying to avoid that at all costs (especially since I"m not a mom at all.)

Old 06-25-2011, 08:43 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I'm a big fan of sandals and boots myself, but I generally dislike flats.

I also like my outfits to be consistent. If I'm dressed for something sporty like a baseball game, I'm going to be wearing a team shirt, shorts, and athletic shoes. I'm not going to be the girl in a sundress and ballet flats (much as I love sundresses, I'm not wearing them to sporty activities).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty