Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 08:24 AM

28,355 posts, read 16,317,241 times

Advertisements

TheArtOfShaving.com

Get a decent safety razor handle and some good quality double-sided blades. Each side should last you a week (if not more). That's a minimum of 20 weeks worth of shaving for $12 worth of blades. Not bad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 08:30 AM

1,457 posts, read 2,024,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Then you are just spending extra money on water down the drain.
You don't take a shower just to shave Einstein. I am not talking about saving money per say, as I am the best shave.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:34 AM

466 posts, read 814,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
The problem is everyone's skin is a little different. What works well for one person may not work for someone else.
I agree. I use Venus blades to shave my legs and there is a huge difference. With disposables, I need to put moisturizer on my legs the minute I jump out the shower because they are on fire. I don't know what it is, but they burn something awful. And I tend to get more knicks. With the Venus blades, I get a closer shave, no knicks and my legs aren't burning up as soon as I step out of the shower.

Here's at tip if you coupon. My husband uses the ProGlide. Once I month Proctor & Gamble has an coupon insert in the Sunday paper and there is usually a $4 off coupon for the razor, which comes with two cartridges. At Target that brings the price down to $5 and some change. If your have two coupons, you can get two sets for a little more than $10, which is still about $5 cheaper than buying a box of four refill blades. So my husband ends up with a lot of razor handles, but I just can't pay $17 for refills. I do a similar deal for my Venus blades.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:57 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,690,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Just curious why men and women need different kinds. I buy the womens disposables in the multi-pack at the store for my SO and use one of those.
I made a poll post with info about it:
//www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...ns-razors.html

article:
MenĂ¢

Old 06-30-2011, 09:40 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,721,827 times
I shave my face and neck with a Braun electric shaver. It shaves close and saves the blades. But it doesn't get some neck hair so I use disposable blades on that. I don't use shaving cream at all. I hardly go through disposables, and the current $3.50 4 pack of Wilkinson Sword 3 blade shavers are lasting me maybe a year. I've used both men's and women's blades, and I shave my legs in the shower with soap.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:21 PM

22,629 posts, read 24,486,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
You don't take a shower just to shave Einstein. I am not talking about saving money per say, as I am the best shave.

I know that you are taking a shower.......for the shower........my point was the shower will be A LOT LONGER due to shaving activities.

A good shave.....that's easy.....I could buy those disposables that have 5 blades and are 3-4 bucks a piece.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:33 PM

1,740 posts, read 953,589 times
I've been wondering myself why the better razors are so expensive. I know there are a lot of other alternatives out there, but like some others have said, I have a heavy beard and any other razor I have ever tried except for the Gillette Mach III has left my face scrapped, burnt, raw, and bleeding. I also use expensive Aramis Lab Series shaving cream- the combination really makes my shave expensive!! But lately I usually don't shave on the weekends or sometimes skip a day during the week- after all, beards and scruff seem to be very much in style for men now. I guess the metrosexual look is over.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:14 PM

9,513 posts, read 16,448,668 times
I was out today to buy some blades and its beyond ridiculous. 8 Fusion proglide almost $40.00. Actually with sales tax it will be over $40.00. Doesn't matter what it is Schick, Gillette, whatever they are. The cost is beyond a lot of peoples reach. I know some states lock them up, or they use to as people steal them. I see no excuse for this kind of cost. Even if you try to get just 4 blades its push $20, or over. I don't know what the answer is. Like others I can't get those throwaway type razors. I look like I was in a car wreck after using them. I tried buying the new razor with the 1 or two cartridge in them. $10 plus tax. I don't think that is really a savings either.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:36 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,704,675 times
I use a double edge safety razor and bought 100 Feather blades for about $45. One blade lasts me about four or five weeks, so now I'm spending just shy of 50 cents per month on blades. And I get a great shave out of it, too. Although I think that has more to do with the soap and aftershave than the razor.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:47 AM

1,030 posts, read 4,266,349 times
Ive used the Mach3 and its good.

My latest blade has been the Gilette fusion that has 5 blades, I really like it alot. Especially after going through Bic triple blade disposables.

I normally shave once or twice a week but sometimes everyday. I would go through the Bic blades in about 2 weeks max.

Ive had the Gillette 5 blade for months and it still holds up.

Why doesnt anyone use a traditional straight blade??

I have a Swedish made Hess straight razor that I want to use, I just dont have all the supplies I need.

Nothing beats the straight razor with warm lather....especially when someone else does it, it practically puts me to sleep its so relaxing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty