Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 09:21 AM

851 posts, read 3,625,818 times

Advertisements

What is simulated sapphire? I did quite a few googling but couldn't find the answer. Is it synthetic sapphire or just glass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 10:13 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
A simulated stone is one that is lab grown out of the same elements as the real stone. A jeweler can tell the difference, but it should be eye similar.

Think of it as a stone clone.

Look up sapphire on wikiapedia and read near the bottom. They've been making them since 1902...

Old 07-03-2011, 10:24 AM

So it's synthetic sapphire, chemically same as natural sapphire?

Old 07-03-2011, 10:42 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,123,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
So it's synthetic sapphire, chemically same as natural sapphire?
Yes.

For your purposes, the same. In fact, they (Like Diamonds) can be 'Grown' "More perfect" than 'natural stones'

It's a 'scam' that stones are kept to their artificial prices, and that there is a distinction.
It's all marketing.

How to differentiate synthetic and natural sapphire @ Jewel Info 4 U

Old 07-03-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Yes.

For your purposes, the same. In fact, they (Like Diamonds) can be 'Grown' "More perfect" than 'natural stones'

It's a 'scam' that stones are kept to their artificial prices, and that there is a distinction.
It's all marketing.

How to differentiate synthetic and natural sapphire @ Jewel Info 4 U

Then why not just say "synthetic sapphire?" The term "simulated sapphire" makes me think it's glass.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:53 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Yeah I thought there was a distinction between "simulated" and "synthetic." Synthetic would be the "chemically identical" - a real actual genuine sapphire, that was created in a lab. It's still a sapphire. It's just not an organic sapphire that grew without a person to help it along.

And a "simulated" sapphire would be a fake sapphire, that isn't a real sapphire, whether synthetic or organic, that is just some other substance that is cut and polished to make it LOOK like a sapphire. Hence, the "simulated."

Old 07-03-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yeah I thought there was a distinction between "simulated" and "synthetic." Synthetic would be the "chemically identical" - a real actual genuine sapphire, that was created in a lab. It's still a sapphire. It's just not an organic sapphire that grew without a person to help it along.

And a "simulated" sapphire would be a fake sapphire, that isn't a real sapphire, whether synthetic or organic, that is just some other substance that is cut and polished to make it LOOK like a sapphire. Hence, the "simulated."
Yeah, that's what I understand too but I am not 100% certain.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:35 AM

any more insight to this?

Old 07-04-2011, 10:53 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
What you should do is go to a large reputable jeweler, not a mall store, and ask to see a natural sapphire and a synthetic one. Ask them to explain the differences -- but see it for yourself.

I know for a fact that I don't like synthetic diamonds -- I have a real preference for "D" color diamonds, and synthetics can't compare...to my eyes they look like cracked ice... they lack fire, and don't prism the light right so there are no rainbows from them.

But sapphires don't have the same qualities I'd look for in a diamond, so I might be convinced to use a lab created gem -- if they were really as nice as the real thing. And you can't tell that on the internet -- gotta do that in person.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:14 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
What you should do is go to a large reputable jeweler, not a mall store, and ask to see a natural sapphire and a synthetic one. Ask them to explain the differences -- but see it for yourself.

I know for a fact that I don't like synthetic diamonds -- I have a real preference for "D" color diamonds, and synthetics can't compare...to my eyes they look like cracked ice... they lack fire, and don't prism the light right so there are no rainbows from them.

But sapphires don't have the same qualities I'd look for in a diamond, so I might be convinced to use a lab created gem -- if they were really as nice as the real thing. And you can't tell that on the internet -- gotta do that in person.
<sigh> The OP isn't asking about the difference between natural and synthetic. The OP is asking about the distinction between synthetic and simulated.

Simulated = fake, NOT lab-created.
Synthetic = real, but lab-created.

The hint is in the words themselves:
Simulated = similar, but not the same
Synthetic = synthesized, but not natural

That is the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty