Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 06:53 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,002 times

Advertisements

Hollister and Abercrombie...overpriced clothing that looks identical. Besides, I don't like having the name of the brand splashed across me so everyone can see I spend a lot of money on clothes. Sears...everything seems very cheap, ugly, outdated (with the exception of their Lands End outlets, which is better to buy online anyway). Hot Topic...just no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 07:24 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,490 times
American Apparel, Express, H&M, Hollister, A&F, Old Navy, Gap, the list goes on... Anything trendy, really.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:24 AM

301 posts, read 823,942 times
Talbots! (Ok, now that I've said it I must go into the Witness Protection Program to stay safe from Talbots lovers!) Also, Old Navy, Sears (except some Land's End things), Gap, and Kohls.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:30 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,969 times
Victoria's Secret.

Oh...wait a sec....I was thinking of the thread that asked "Are there any clothing stores that you would sell your soul to the Devil to be able to be invisible and hang-out in the dressing rooms?"

Old 07-13-2011, 07:35 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
I like going to stores like you are talking about. Not necessarily the names specifically, but stores that are not my style for the most part. They always have a gem that didn't sell on clearance because it didn't fit the marketing target of the majority of customers.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:22 AM

Opsimathia,
You are a very wise shopper!!

Old 07-13-2011, 10:29 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Torrid. Plus sized clothing stores next to Victoria's Secret.. very suggestive but unsexy.

I understand that not every girl I've met is a size 0, but I've never seen any self-respecting woman in Torrid.
I shop at Torrid every once in a while, online. I'm tall and busty so I buy button up shirts and take in the waist. Clothes that are sold at 'normal' retailers are for short, small busted girls and I've never been either of those

Victoria's Secret has never made any bras that fit me and their underwear is ridiculously overpriced. I'm all about Frederick's of Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
Oh I agree with their kids clothes. Definitely cute but sometimes overpriced though. I cannot stand Hollister and A&F. I swear their clothes are basically the same, different brand names and A&F is a little more pricey.
When A&F opened in my area I went in and took a look. The salespeople were rude, and I will NEVER purchase a plain white tshirt for $50.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:29 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Coldwater Creek is a store that I have never saw one item I would buy.
A friend of mine calls Coldwater Creek "social worker clothes" which is funny, because you can totally picture middle-aged hippie ladies rocking some long skirts and pendant necklaces.

American Apparel t-shirts are okay, but 90% of the other stuff in the store is bizarre. Like, who is going to wear a tube top with hot pant shorts that have suspenders attached, or thigh-high tube socks? Also, the company's owner is skeevy.

Victoria's Secret is another one. There's this weird perception that it's super-sexy, but a lot of their stuff is poorly made and/or tacky. There's better places to buy good quality lingerie than a store at the mall.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:50 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,875 times
I like Old Navy just for basic tees and for my boys' jeans. I have never shopped at Abercrombie. It's too dark!! I like shopping online. I like Kohl's again just for my Levi's jeans. I really don't do a lot of shopping at major dept. stores. Like I said I shop online at Newport News or Chadwicks for basics. I tend to buy good quality staples (casual pants, coats, work blouses, etc) and stick with them for years. I do shop occasionally at the mall for one or two trendy things. And I agree about Victoria's secret, I stopped shopping there years ago when all their bras would have the wire sticking out after a couple of hand washes. Now I buy my bras at Nordstrom

ETA: I do love me some JCPenney though! Their Worthington line makes some really good quality ladies' slacks and tops. I love going there to buy my work clothes!!

Last edited by CTR36; 07-13-2011 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: more shopping faves, spelling

Old 07-13-2011, 11:03 AM

OMG!!

"A friend of mine calls Coldwater Creek "social worker clothes" which is funny, because you can totally picture middle-aged hippie ladies rocking some long skirts and pendant necklaces."

So true! I've worked w/special needs kids for decades and that comment is right on! Having said that, though, I do like some of their scarves, lace tanks, and linen jackets. I love their knit denim jeans - they are better than Chico's IMO, as the lycra content is smaller so they don't bag/sag as much.

I've said before that Penneys is a "sleeper" store - it has hidden gems among the stuff your grandmother buys, and their sales are very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty