Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 08:48 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
People who don't like to wear used clothing don't have washing machines?
I don't buy thrift anymore because I am worried about bringing in bedbugs to my building. I don't want myself or neighbors to have to deal with that. Plus there are a ton of outlet stores near me now that are just as cheap and sometimes cheaper than thrift in my area too. I know one thrift shop in particular that does not launder the clothing like goodwill does. They expect you to wash before bringing it in. And even if the person did and then threw it on a bedbug infested bed...whoops...

Those things make me nervous because it doesn't matter how clean the person is and they are easily unnoticed until an expensive problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 11:07 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I don't buy thrift anymore because I am worried about bringing in bedbugs to my building. I don't want myself or neighbors to have to deal with that. Plus there are a ton of outlet stores near me now that are just as cheap and sometimes cheaper than thrift in my area too. I know one thrift shop in particular that does not launder the clothing like goodwill does. They expect you to wash before bringing it in. And even if the person did and then threw it on a bedbug infested bed...whoops...

Those things make me nervous because it doesn't matter how clean the person is and they are easily unnoticed until an expensive problem.

Yeah and someone just as can easily go into an outlet store who has bedbugs and try on their clothes too..and transfer the bedbugs to the new clothes just as well..

Old 07-18-2011, 11:08 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Sometimes I find socks laying on the ground....take them home and wash them........good as new. I also hate buying clothes, usually wear my clothes until they disintegrate.....really. Does anybody know how to darn socks????
Yes. Yes I do.

‪How To Darn A Sock‬‏ - YouTube

What they call a mushroom, we call a darning egg. You don't specifically need one, but you have to remember to keep the "ease" in the heel, if that's what you are repairing. I usually use thread and not yarn, since my socks are finer cotton, not like the heavy ragg sock they are darning here.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:14 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I love thrifting! Almost all my silks and cashmeres came from thrift stores. Great stuff, you just have to have the time to shop.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:15 AM

191 posts, read 357,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
Always check first with the thrift shops closest to wealthy neighborhoods, then the ones benefitting local hospitals. In Goodwill and SA thrifts and similar, check for almost-new cotton tees & tops in one size up from what you typically wear -- folks buy the tops, wash/dry them one time and they shrink and then are donated to the thrift. Get yours pre-shrunk!

If you can, try to scout the racks on Monday afternoons or Tuesdays. The weekend drop-offs have had a chance to be sorted and hung out for sale by then but aren't as picked through yet.
Thanks that is great advice i live in a suburb of DC and its middle class, i know where the wealthy places are so i will try and find thirft stores around those areas!

Old 07-18-2011, 11:18 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
Yeah and someone just as can easily go into an outlet store who has bedbugs and try on their clothes too..and transfer the bedbugs to the new clothes just as well..
can they really be spread that way though? just asking.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:36 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
I know...But I just HOPE its not a pregnant one. Hahaha!
I still launder things as soon as I get home and shower after shopping. Generally stores will shut down and clear out but I don't see a thrift store doing that. They don't have the resources.

I worry more about the furnishings and things like purses that could have a whole starter nest than the clothing. But the clothing is right there with it.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:51 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
Years ago I shopped the local SA regularly and bought many good items. My daughter had small children and I picked up a lot of things for them when they were real little. Also, as someone said, i had some silk and cashmere things that must have got by the sorters and were a great bargain. Goodwill I didn't shop for years but occasionally have bought new things for a small price. My best buy was a Lands End jacket with tags attached for $10. It has been a mainstay in my wardrobe for years.

Bedbugs I am terrified of !! We have almost quit traveling because of it. So sad. The large scale Disney resorts and upscale hotels here in Orlando are the very worst.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:18 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,538 times
In the PNW, I shop regularly at Goodwill, Salvation Army, St. Vincent's, and Value Village for bargains on clothing and have made some amazing scores over the years. I, too, have noticed that prices have risen and inventory quality has gone down, probably because of the economy.

I was curious about the bedbug angle to purchasing used clothing and found this, for anyone worried about the idea:

Bedbug tips when buying secondhand clothing

I always felt comfortable and never had any problems by just tossing all my purchases into the washing machine as soon as I got them home.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I USED to like shopping at thrift stores but not anymore, they've gotten to the point that I guess they think they are boutiques? Goodwill, etc. are priced higher than NEW items on sale at stores
I'd rather get a good piece there if I happen to find it than a piece of garbage from Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, Sears, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty