Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 04:53 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times

Advertisements

I have a niece that does this with the photos. Always posting sexy pics of herself on Facebook for her mostly all male friends list. I get tired of it and do block her for a few months at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 08:40 PM

992 posts, read 2,372,457 times
It's amazing how social networking has perpetuated vanity to the nth degree!

Old 07-25-2011, 03:31 PM

89 posts, read 230,747 times
I'll admit I'm one of those people that post pictures of themselves quite often, I'm in my early 20s. I mostly do that out of boredom, or because I like my outfit today and want to show my friends, to show off my body and what not get compliments to increase my self esteem, it can sound narcistic but it is all for fun really, I don't see why are people getting mad over this and deleting people off their friendlist.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:12 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
Do people even put what's really on their mind on their status update? All I see these days are "Thank God for my family" or "I have the best husband ever!" or "My love is the best"....come on...Really? Really?
I have one couple on my FB whom I've known for at least 10 years. They have 5 blogs...no joke...and update each frequently. They have a 'marriage' blog, baby #1 blog (of course, they post 1000 pictures of him and constantly talk about how gifted he is) and a blog for baby #2 who isn't even born yet where they have at least 100 pictures of ultrasounds and her belly, and a blog for each of them individually, where they basically just repost all the stuff from the other ones. They update all of these through FB, and I feel I know waaaaay more about their lives than I need to. Each one of them has more than 2500 pictures posted on their individual accounts and constantly post updates that say 'My hubby/wife is the BEST!!!' and then they reply on each others posts. It's kind of weird, actually.

Granted, they've been married since just outside of high school and really are very very nice people, but I just don't see the need to post EVERYTHING on Facebook.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:42 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Because with Facebook, everyone is important. They jut let it go to their head, and think others give a flip that they changed their status to, "walking home now".
Allow me to rephrase that my way: "everyone thinks they are important".

This status thing... omg, it is just... well... exponentially unimportant.

It is a huge "look at me, look at me!!!" thing...

Old 07-25-2011, 09:30 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Allow me to rephrase that my way: "everyone thinks they are important".

This status thing... omg, it is just... well... exponentially unimportant.

It is a huge "look at me, look at me!!!" thing...
Yes, that is what I meant to type.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:45 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,320,786 times
I have a "friend" on Facebook who posts about 5-15 pictures of herself DAILY! These pictures are almost all of her, doing different poses and showing herself off in dress up clothes for when she goes out to party. She's pretty, but this is ridiculous. I just checked, she has over 600 profile pictures of herself!

Old 07-26-2011, 12:45 AM

483 posts, read 1,559,279 times
The technical term is narcissism, but I prefer the less technical term, "Attention w-h-o-r-e". Most of them are women, ages 18-32. Generally they're average or a little above average looking. They always make sure the pic is taken at the facial angle that makes them look the best. They always have makeup on, even if it's a "spontaneous" photo in their bedroom. Some of them have several albums of nothing but professional glamour photos, heavily photoshopped. Or 200 random webcam photos or bathroom-mirror self portraits

They do it because they want 700 guys whom they never met to write a comment like "babie you smokin hot!!" They delight at the attention they receive online because offline they're just plain Jane

Old 07-26-2011, 01:08 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I have one couple on my FB whom I've known for at least 10 years. They have 5 blogs...no joke...and update each frequently. They have a 'marriage' blog, baby #1 blog (of course, they post 1000 pictures of him and constantly talk about how gifted he is) and a blog for baby #2 who isn't even born yet where they have at least 100 pictures of ultrasounds and her belly, and a blog for each of them individually, where they basically just repost all the stuff from the other ones. They update all of these through FB, and I feel I know waaaaay more about their lives than I need to. Each one of them has more than 2500 pictures posted on their individual accounts and constantly post updates that say 'My hubby/wife is the BEST!!!' and then they reply on each others posts. It's kind of weird, actually.

Granted, they've been married since just outside of high school and really are very very nice people, but I just don't see the need to post EVERYTHING on Facebook.
wow... that is pretty weird...

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
The technical term is narcissism, but I prefer the less technical term, "Attention w-h-o-r-e". Most of them are women, ages 18-32. Generally they're average or a little above average looking. They always make sure the pic is taken at the facial angle that makes them look the best. They always have makeup on, even if it's a "spontaneous" photo in their bedroom. Some of them have several albums of nothing but professional glamour photos, heavily photoshopped. Or 200 random webcam photos or bathroom-mirror self portraits

They do it because they want 700 guys whom they never met to write a comment like "babie you smokin hot!!" They delight at the attention they receive online because offline they're just plain Jane
ha! as a woman in that demographic, I am proud to say my facebook page is decidedly boring.

But, I do think facebook could be renamed chickbook at times...

Old 07-26-2011, 04:46 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I'm in my midthirties and attached, so I don't use my facebook account as a dating profile...I use it primarily to share photos of places my boyfriend and I go, and share updates on our lives with our families, who both live very far from where we are. To me, it's a "social network" in that it helps me stay connected to my relatives and friends from back home. I realize, though, that for some, it's a social network that they use to meet new people, even if that's not my objective. Whatever, in my twenties, when I had an online dating profile, I put up headshots. It was expected.

I'm not bothered by people posting lots of pictures of their families...I like to look. If they're on my very limited friend list, they're people about whom I care, and I want to see pics of their kids' ballet recitals and birthday parties. If I didn't, they wouldn't be on my list of stuff I like to stay caught up on. And as far as gushing about various happinesses, well, I'd rather read that than a bunch of negativity, gripes, and whining. I have a coworker who, wile a very nice guy, feels the need to use his facebook status as a place to passive-aggressively mope and post emo status updates about how "every time he thinks he's found the one, he gets his heart stomped on," etc. To me, give me a million duckface headshots and "OMG, my boyfriend is the best!!!" posts over crap like that.

I won't pretend that I'm the typical facebook user...it's pretty utilitarian for me. And I do have to wonder how adult parents who have 400+ pics of their toddlers posted and who maintain five different blogs about their lives actually have the TIME to parent and to live that wonderful life they're writing about.

But for the most part, it doesn't trouble me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty