Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 01:46 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,928,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
I have a few acquaintences on Facebook that literally take pcs of themselves almost daily. Why? I finally hid them because I got tired of them in my news feed. These people are in their 30's, so it's not like they are kids...if they were, I'd chalk it up to immaturity.

Because they like to flaunt and if you got it FLAUNT IT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 05:46 AM

191 posts, read 357,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I'm so not cool or hip or whatever. I don't like Facebook. There, I said it.

Some people just want a lot of attention. Needy people. Or, people with big ego's always on the look-out for external validation.

Marissy I feel for you. It's gotta be rough to be a young person these days. My kids are 16 and 11 and I can't imagine it'll be any easier for them, either, when they get to be your age. I think you are wise to be so cautious. You seem very intelligent and instrospective for a 21 year old.

I’m 19 and it is very hard to be a young person now in days.
I can remember when face book came out I was 16 and one of the last people to get one in my class, I was in high school and most of my friends had one since they were in 10th grade and they already had 2,000 friends. As I went through there profile I was sad I didn’t have that many friends! So I made a face book and instantly got 200 friends in two weeks! People were chatting with me and saying finally, I caught up with some old friends and was on top of the world! I stayed after school for a club or two but when i got home was on face book. Now fast forward to now I’m over face book and am going to delete mine! I was going to list the reason but there are far too many! Two big ones I don’t like the person i am becoming taking pictures at least once a week, and posting boring stuff like i wish i had a new car. Two i love my job, and professionalism is a must now in days co workers will do anything to hinder you.....had one look me up on face book and dig through mine, she found a post from 1 year ago that was bad and told my manger! I am nervous because facebook is still peer pressured, for instance if i delete mine tomorrow my sister will say how can i communicate with you....by phone! Co workers will say but everyone has one....oh well.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:13 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
I never saw the attraction.
It just seemed like a lot of poor people with a need for personal validation.
Why would you want to put such personal information out there for strangers to see?
Kooks who patrol the world for victims look for such insecure people.

It would appear that a person could share the same information with an email group without the unwanted exposure.

Very few people live such interesting lives or write so well to really interest others.

Even when people vacation in interesting places, I am interested in the place, the art, the native attire perhaps and not the inevitable pic of the vacationers obstructing the view. What, must they prove that they actually were there? Geeze, you could Photoshop that.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:48 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VACollegeStudent View Post
...Two i love my job, and professionalism is a must now in days co workers will do anything to hinder you.....had one look me up on face book and dig through mine, she found a post from 1 year ago that was bad and told my manger! I am nervous because facebook is still peer pressured, for instance if i delete mine tomorrow my sister will say how can i communicate with you....by phone! Co workers will say but everyone has one....oh well.
Yikes! That's really awful. I'm sorry that happened to you. It's good you grew from that experience, lesson learned, huh?

All these people posting photos of themselves... you wonder what their employer thinks. And I worry about those creepy coworkers - you know, the stalkers? I had a few when I was working - before I became a sahm. We didn't have anything like FB back then, but now I can only imagine that if we had, and I was young and stupid and posting photos of myself online, eewww. There's a lot of creeps out there. For every one person that you want to see your photos or share your photos with, there are plenty others who are really creepy who you really wouldn't want having your photos. Gross.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:41 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
I could care less who sees my photo...creep or no creep...if they admire my physic enough to enjoy looking at me photo...I could care less...

There will come a time in all of our lives, when the only one who'll want to look at ya is the doctor...and even then only cause he/she has too...

So like superchic says...flaunt it while you got it...but in a dignified classy or artistic manner...

Old 08-11-2011, 04:28 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
I don't really care what people do with their profiles or their photos. No-one is putting a gun to my head to look through them.
Attached Thumbnails
Why do people take pictures of themselves ad nauseum?-262816_131652243595041_100002507993509_191095_4522245_n.jpg  

Old 08-12-2011, 07:18 PM

992 posts, read 2,373,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I don't really care what people do with their profiles or their photos. No-one is putting a gun to my head to look through them.
Thank goodness I discovered the "hide" feature. Took me long enough.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:42 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loka View Post
I'll admit I'm one of those people that post pictures of themselves quite often, I'm in my early 20s. I mostly do that out of boredom, or because I like my outfit today and want to show my friends, to show off my body and what not get compliments to increase my self esteem, it can sound narcistic but it is all for fun really, I don't see why are people getting mad over this and deleting people off their friendlist.
Its probably because they are fat, ugly & noncompetitive. I see it as a way of trying to control people that make them feel insecure.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:31 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Its probably because they are fat, ugly & noncompetitive. I see it as a way of trying to control people that make them feel insecure.
Or perhaps it's because many people don't need the validation of others to be happy with their life.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:40 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I'm so not cool or hip or whatever. I don't like Facebook. There, I said it.

Some people just want a lot of attention. Needy people. Or, people with big ego's always on the look-out for external validation.

Marissy I feel for you. It's gotta be rough to be a young person these days. My kids are 16 and 11 and I can't imagine it'll be any easier for them, either, when they get to be your age. I think you are wise to be so cautious. You seem very intelligent and instrospective for a 21 year old.
Well I'm sorry...but I must be a nut case or something...but I love taking photos of myself...

The Beatles - A Little Help From My Friends - YouTube

Supertramp - Bloody Well Right - YouTube (http://youtu.be/2GCeYC0OSis - broken link)

Last edited by Time and Space; 09-12-2011 at 12:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty