U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 08:59 PM

154 posts, read 371,093 times

Advertisements

My nails have always peeled, but hair and skin are healthy....what is up with that? I already take a multi-vitamin

They are not just easily snagged, but actually the top layer will peel off. Anyone experiencing this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 07:47 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,031,387 times
Do you have them in water a lot or latex gloves? That always makes mine peel even though I have no latex allergy.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:25 PM

605 posts, read 784,684 times
Yeah, I've always had this problem. I think, at least for me, it's in part because my nails are flat--if you look at them edge-on they have no curve. One of the traits of "good" strong nails is that they have a pronounced side-to-side curve. I don't know what causes it and don't spend much time worrying about it, I get acrylics so they look good.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:34 PM

19,857 posts, read 62,211,834 times
Poor diet. Mine quit peeling in layers once I cut most sugar and when I cut diet sodas they started growing fast and became steel talons.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:04 PM

14,746 posts, read 23,715,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna777 View Post
My nails have always peeled, but hair and skin are healthy....what is up with that? I already take a multi-vitamin

They are not just easily snagged, but actually the top layer will peel off. Anyone experiencing this?
Mine do that when I don't keep them polished, due the time my hand spend in water and chemicals.

if you don't want to polish your nails, get a good moisturizer and use it often and use a rich cuticle cream every night and morning. Even then, you will have to wait about 6 weeks or so until all the old unmoisturized thinner weaker nail grows out and the new taken care of nail finally hits the top....

Old 07-25-2011, 08:25 AM

4,829 posts, read 5,836,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Mine do that when I don't keep them polished, due the time my hand spend in water and chemicals.

if you don't want to polish your nails, get a good moisturizer and use it often and use a rich cuticle cream every night and morning. Even then, you will have to wait about 6 weeks or so until all the old unmoisturized thinner weaker nail grows out and the new taken care of nail finally hits the top....
This, plus start taking biotin -- it's a small fraction of what makes up B vitamins, and water soluble, so your body will get rid of any it can't use on a daily basis. It will take about 5-6 months of daily supplements before you start to see the results (the new growth from the nail bed will take that long to get to a length you can file it).

Also, next time you're getting a general workup at the doc's office, ask for a thyroid screening test. Nail problems can be an early sign of imbalance (or could just as easily signify nothing).

Old 07-25-2011, 08:29 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,031,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Kittens View Post
Yeah, I've always had this problem. I think, at least for me, it's in part because my nails are flat--if you look at them edge-on they have no curve. One of the traits of "good" strong nails is that they have a pronounced side-to-side curve. I don't know what causes it and don't spend much time worrying about it, I get acrylics so they look good.
Home Remedies for Nail Problems | Grandma's Home Remedies

You should! Nails can be clues to nutritional or health issues. That link has a lot of info. But for that curve: ( I had a flat nail issue thats fixed through food and cosmetic care)

"Flat nails – caused by anemia, thyroid disease, or deficiency in vitamin B12"

I think it was low b vitamins/anemia for me.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:25 PM

4,643 posts, read 2,986,217 times
Rub olive oil into them every evening before going to bed. This should help if the peeling isn't being caused by a health issue.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:28 PM

43,856 posts, read 47,766,729 times
Mine were doing that and the beauty editor of the newspaper where I work said to use a better nail polish remover. I did and the peeling stopped. Something about cheap mix of acetone that weakens enamel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty