Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 01:00 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,623,197 times

Advertisements

Because I do...90%. And I mean well as in something you would noramlly see in Europe (because they DO dress better) or in a magazine.

I know dressing well is a matter of personal taste, but you get my drift....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 01:10 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
No -- my Dad was a good dresser. He took pride in himself and what he wore. And he dressed appropriately -- as in golf wear for golf, very casual for bowling. And his work suits were hand tailored, and he took care of his clothing. And as things aged they got relegated to around the house work wear -- like mowing the lawn, and fixing stuff.

My mom was a fashion plate, too. In fact -- she sewed a lot of what she wore, out of high end fabrics and Vogue Designer patterns. My sister wore an YSL silk shantung halter dress my mom made to her junior prom....

I, however -- am not like that at all.... very t-shirt and jeans....

Old 07-25-2011, 01:13 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
No -- my Dad was a good dresser. He took pride in himself and what he wore. And he dressed appropriately -- as in golf wear for golf, very casual for bowling. And his work suits were hand tailored, and he took care of his clothing. And as things aged they got relegated to around the house work wear -- like mowing the lawn, and fixing stuff.
My dad was exactly the same.

I don't think a well-dressed man is necessarily gay. It's a bit insulting to straight guys to say that.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:32 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Fleetie -- what I'm wondering is how old the OP is, and how old are we? I'm 52 (next month!) -- and grew up at the very end of the time where people dressed up because that was what they did. And my parents were a little older than the norm (my mom was 36 when she had me) -- living in conservative Cranberry Twp (I think I've seen you on the Pgh board) my parents continued with this longer than a lot of people.

My dad died in 1981, and I distinctly remember him buying his first pair of jeans in the late 70's. And he demanded they have a crease.

I have to admit, I'm starting to tire of the comfort dress factor....

Old 07-25-2011, 02:51 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
I think people who spend more than 0.2% (that's $200 on a $100K salary) of their annual income on clothes are financially irresponsible.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:56 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Fleetie -- what I'm wondering is how old the OP is, and how old are we? I'm 52 (next month!) -- and grew up at the very end of the time where people dressed up because that was what they did. And my parents were a little older than the norm (my mom was 36 when she had me) -- living in conservative Cranberry Twp (I think I've seen you on the Pgh board) my parents continued with this longer than a lot of people.

My dad died in 1981, and I distinctly remember him buying his first pair of jeans in the late 70's. And he demanded they have a crease.

I have to admit, I'm starting to tire of the comfort dress factor....
I'm 34, but my dad is in his 70s. He wore a suit and tie to work everyday, and even today would never wear jeans or a t-shirt or sneakers out in public. He'll wear them around the house or to do yardwork, but he'll always change into chinos and a golf shirt to go anywhere.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:59 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I think people who spend more than 0.2% (that's $200 on a $100K salary) of their annual income on clothes are financially irresponsible.
Now I agree that spending too big a percentage of your income on clothes is irresponsible but that's extreme. Also, buying first-rate clothes is not necessarily going to cost a lot if you get clothes on sale or slightly used, ebay, etc.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:16 PM

89 posts, read 230,820 times
Well I live in Europe so no, many straight men dress the way some gays have been dressing for many years, v cut tight shirts for example

Old 07-25-2011, 04:29 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
Absolutely not. This makes no sense to me whatsoever.

In Italy la bella figura is, fortunately, something common for men and women.

When I see a poorly dressed man I don't think he is manly, I think he is ugly and lazy.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:57 PM

151 posts, read 613,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Absolutely not. This makes no sense to me whatsoever.

In Italy la bella figura is, fortunately, something common for men and women.

When I see a poorly dressed man I don't think he is manly, I think he is ugly and lazy.
I completely disagree. Just because someone is not dressed well does not mean they are ugly and/or lazy. That is an extremely judgmental thing to say, shows lack of maturity and understanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty