Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 09:07 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,454,554 times

Advertisements

I second Burts Bees. Also if you dont have oily skin I would recommend using avacado oil (food grade) and or extra virgin coconut oil (food grade) and mix it with whatever face cream you use. Avacado and coconut oil penetrate skin better than other oils. Jojoba oil (food grade)is the closest thing to human skin sebum and is also good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 06:45 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,396,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
My skin looks really young...to other people. LOL I am black, so it may not matter but I used Clinique's moisture surge face spray. I loved it.

I use another face spray that I buy at wholefoods, but only because of convenience. I think Clinique's is only like 15 bucks or something BTW so if that is still in your budget, buy it. One bottle lasts me several months and moisturizes my skin.

BTW I have oily skin, but I always use moisturizer.

Moisturizers that may be less expensive:
1. Better Botanicals Rose Tulsi Hydrating mist - Wholefoods.

2. Vitamin E Oil - I haven't done this in a while, but I used to smear it on at night. Be sure you get 100% vitamin E. It's a little messy but what do you want..cleanliness or wrinkles?

Other cheap stuff?

I also use Dr. Bronner's soap on my face and a rough wash cloth to exfoliate. Honestly the best washcloths for my face are the white terry cloth rags in the pack from Home Depot. They're cheap and really rub off the dead skin. The fancy towels I have are too soft.

Yep, I like the cheap, white terry cloths, too!My mother used them, she said they exfoliate your skin better than just about anything. I was brought up to use a clean one every day, when through at night, hang the cloth to dry, then put in the laundry bin and get a fresh one..

I also used to use Vit E oil, great especially around the lips, I'm getting fine lines, looks like smokers lines, but I never have smoked! Instead, i use straws when i drink coffee or tea to keep from staining my teeth, now I have "straw lines"

guess at one point or another we all get old, but try to keep it at bay as much as we can!

Old 09-10-2011, 07:27 PM

861 posts, read 1,123,940 times
The one's that Olay makes are pretty good

Old 09-10-2011, 08:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
I use Oil of Olay.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:39 AM

410 posts, read 742,800 times
My dermatologist recommended Vanicream moisturizer for my face and I love it. Until she recommended Vanicream, I was also using the Clinique moisturizer because I have sensitive skin. The Vanicream is perfect for my sensitive skin because it does not have any fragrance or other additives that typically irritate the skin. You can use the cream all over your body too, not just the face. They also have soaps and sunscreens, though I have not tried any of those products yet. I bought a 1lb jar of the cream for around $10 over the counter at the pharmacy, but you may find it at a different price other places. Let me tell you, 1lb of cream lasts a long long time.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:54 AM

615 posts, read 1,675,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ok, the day has finally come, I can no longer afford clinique products. I've faithfully used clinique for almost 30 years, and, I think they're worth it, but our budget doesn't support it anymore.

I continue to use the soap, at $12 a bar it seems expensive until you realize it can last 3 months, just keep it out of the shower!

But, the other stuff---well, I always use a sunscreen and my face really doesn't look my age. So, what is a good, inexpensive brand of facial sunscreen, and night time moisturizer? I sleep under a ceiiling fan, and if I don't use a moisturizer, my face is dried out!

- Oil of Olay (for sensitive skin)

And Vit E after cleansing at night.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:54 PM

2,027 posts, read 3,346,284 times
The Cetaphil soap IS great, as is the Philosophy facewash cream (i forget the name - i just woke up!)

I also believe in all of the Olay products (incl the orig Oil of Olay), as do many of my friends in their 50's.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:16 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,153,734 times
You can't go wrong with plain old original Oil of Olay lotion.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:46 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,470 times
Quote:
Ok, the day has finally come, I can no longer afford clinique products. I've faithfully used clinique for almost 30 years, and, I think they're worth it, but our budget doesn't support it anymore.

I continue to use the soap, at $12 a bar it seems expensive until you realize it can last 3 months, just keep it out of the shower!

But, the other stuff---well, I always use a sunscreen and my face really doesn't look my age. So, what is a good, inexpensive brand of facial sunscreen, and night time moisturizer? I sleep under a ceiiling fan, and if I don't use a moisturizer, my face is dried out!
I feel kinda gay posting about face cream on the F&B forum, but I just gotta share something with you guys.
Since I'm outdoors a lot I've always been a big fan of moisturizing creams, but most of them are so absurdly over-priced I boycott them. But over the years I've found two great moisturizing techniques and bargains.
By far and away the very best inexpensive facial moisturizer I've ever used in the Collagen & Elastin by St. Ive's. I know some of you cosmetic snobs are gonna turn your cute little noses up at the St. Ive's brand, but I've always loved this stuff; it's light and not greasy and it makes my skin look great. My wife spends a ton of money on all that kind stuff and she even grudgingly admits that it's "pretty good for the price." (She won't use it on her face like I do though, just on her body sometimes.)
My other trick: get one of those spray bottles, like the kind you use for Windex or to spray your clothes with water when you iron. Then fill it up with water and a little baby oil; like maybe 8 parts water to one part oil. Shake. Then use this as a facial spritzer whenever you want to. After showering when you are still a little damp is a great time. I'm totally addicted to this method and proly do it four or five times a day.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:30 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,910 times
Quote:
Yep, I like the cheap, white terry cloths, too!My mother used them, she said they exfoliate your skin better than just about anything. I was brought up to use a clean one every day, when through at night, hang the cloth to dry, then put in the laundry bin and get a fresh one..

I also used to use Vit E oil, great especially around the lips, I'm getting fine lines, looks like smokers lines, but I never have smoked! Instead, i use straws when i drink coffee or tea to keep from staining my teeth, now I have "straw lines"

guess at one point or another we all get old, but try to keep it at bay as much as we can!
Well that could just be old sun damage too. That is the majority of skin age issues. Either way its better to have wrinkles and your real teeth longer than ones that are damaged by bleaching and acid erosion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty