Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Height?
4'11" or shorter 6 1.30%
5'0" 12 2.59%
5'1" 13 2.81%
5'2" 25 5.40%
5'3" 37 7.99%
5'4" 42 9.07%
5'5" 29 6.26%
5'6" 38 8.21%
5'7" 28 6.05%
5'8" 33 7.13%
5'9" 38 8.21%
5'10" 32 6.91%
5'11" 36 7.78%
6' or taller 91 19.65%
Not sure 3 0.65%
Voters: 463. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 11:09 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
The women who are taller than 5'6" would certainly have no objection to this.
Of course. However average woman is 5 ft 4 inches. That means More than half the women get eliminated on something they have no control over. Those women could be wonderful but that wouldn’t matter, they never got a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2021, 11:14 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaladane714 View Post
It's for the same reason men (in general) prefer beautiful women to plain or unattractive ones: biology. For women (in general), we are instinctively drawn to a mate who can protect us, and that means someone who's bigger and taller.

It's very ingrained in us humans; the movies knew this and had to be careful when filming Alan Ladd and Tom Cruise (among many other examples). Ladd had arguably the most handsome male face in movies, but he always had to be shot carefully so as not to expose his shorter-than-average height when standing alongside his leading ladies. Being obviously shorter than some of his female co-stars would have hampered his status as a romantic leading man. I've read his biography and lot of documents about him and it really did a number on his self-worth, which is a shame. But that's stereotypes for you: men have to be taller than women.

I'm 5'6", rarely wear heels, and I've dated guys of any height. Although many of main squeezes have been around 6 feet, I prefer guys closer to my height; I like talking to someone eye to eye.
Okay. But why is it that most women put the magic number at 6 feet? There’s a large number of guys that are 6 feet tall that aren’t anywhere as strong as I am. Wouldn’t over all physical size be a better choice?
A guy 6 ft tall and 165 lbs versus a muscular 5 ft 10 in and 200 lbs seems like it would a better protector.

Old 09-10-2021, 11:41 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
6'2" (actually, closer to 6'3" but I always round down).

My height borders on inconvenient, mostly with finding pants long enough and occasionally banging my head on something. But height is something I rarely think about or notice, probably because I'm taller than the vast majority of people I encounter.

I can't really complain, as I'm sure it's been beneficial to me.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...g-tall/393518/
It's funny, there might be some truth about that article. In the late 90s, I worked as an executive assistant to the VP of Sales for our company, went to all his staff meetings, which were all men of course. I specifically noticed at the time that almost all of them were tall. They wore expensive suits and Rolexes and it was a real boys' club. There was one guy who was short and they didn't seem to accept him as one of the boys.

P.S. We eventually had a female CEO. She wasn't tall but she acted like one of the boys, which is kind of what you gotta do sometimes to get ahead.

Old 09-11-2021, 09:17 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,404,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Of course. However average woman is 5 ft 4 inches. That means More than half the women get eliminated on something they have no control over. Those women could be wonderful but that wouldn’t matter, they never got a chance.
Height honestly doesn't matter so much for women. I've never heard of a woman getting eliminated from dating just because she's short lol.

Old 09-12-2021, 03:21 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
They would have more than 3/4 of the entire male population to choose from - isn't that enough for the women who are average and less than average height???

Old 09-13-2021, 03:42 AM

53 posts, read 40,427 times
In real life, I am much taller than most guys. i see the occasional guys who are taller. Having said this, over the last decade, I have consistently been told I am taller by guys who insist they are 6'2. I do not believe guys of today know just how tall even being 6'0 is. When you are tall, you will know as your legs and arms are long and you look like a pendulum swinging as you make your way around with a great view to most people's scalps.

The formula is actual height plus 2-3 inches. This is a huge height inflation, but won't be taken seriously since the scaling looks off.

Old 09-13-2021, 03:47 AM

Quote:
I’m a male and 5 ft 6. I usually don’t give it much thought. I think women looking at me as a dating prospect might well scratch me off the list as many women are stuck on 6 ft or taller. I think maybe 10% of the population is 6 ft or taller, so for every 10 women, 8 are going to be disappointed.
I’d love to be taller, but there’s nothing I can do about it so,why stress. I fit in most cars quite well and work out a lot so I try to be the best I can be.
A friend says that he is a lot taller to women when he’s standing on his wallet lol
If people shrink as they age, I’m in deep trouble.
In Northern Europe, the average female is around 5'8. I am talking about local to the region girls. I would go so far as to say that an average of 5'9 is possible. Having said this, there are a large number of males who are about the same height or an inch above. Most girls have accepted this and it is extremely common to see couples of the same height - there is little choice for the females.

When it comes to being a tall male, it is about 10% above 6'0. I am talking about legit 6'0 men. So don't feel too bad as I also see alot of the shorter men dating tourists/ students/ immigrant types - and these girls are probably around 4'10-5'2 maximum. There is always someone out there for you. Whether or not having kids with such people is appropriate is a completely separate topic and depends on how you feel about putting your own children in your very shoes without considering what they want.

Old 09-13-2021, 11:42 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceuponatimeinGina View Post
In Northern Europe, the average female is around 5'8. I am talking about local to the region girls. I would go so far as to say that an average of 5'9 is possible. Having said this, there are a large number of males who are about the same height or an inch above. Most girls have accepted this and it is extremely common to see couples of the same height - there is little choice for the females.
But aren't men in the Netherlands and Scandinavian countries taller than average? I've read that men in the Netherlands are the tallest in the world, and from my experience, it seems to be true. Which is one reason I find them so attractive.

Old 09-13-2021, 12:03 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
I'm 6'1"

I'm fine with the height. It's nice to be able to see people when seated in an auditorium, but then I always feel bad blocking people behind me. Not that i am super tall, but seeing over a crowd is nice as well.

Downside if getting in cars especially the back seat. Air travel also can be difficult.

Old 09-13-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
But aren't men in the Netherlands and Scandinavian countries taller than average? I've read that men in the Netherlands are the tallest in the world, and from my experience, it seems to be true. Which is one reason I find them so attractive.
This may be surprising to hear, but in the Netherlands, many Dutch men are in the 6'2-6'4 range. And just as many men are in the 5'8-5'10 range (there is a lot). For this reason, the average height comes to about 6'0.

A lot of people who aren't from Northern Europe will be shocked how tall people are in this region. Tourists and international students must feel really belittled by even the local girls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty