Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Height?
4'11" or shorter 6 1.30%
5'0" 12 2.59%
5'1" 13 2.81%
5'2" 25 5.40%
5'3" 37 7.99%
5'4" 42 9.07%
5'5" 29 6.26%
5'6" 38 8.21%
5'7" 28 6.05%
5'8" 33 7.13%
5'9" 38 8.21%
5'10" 32 6.91%
5'11" 36 7.78%
6' or taller 91 19.65%
Not sure 3 0.65%
Voters: 463. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 07:46 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times

Advertisements

I’m 5 feet 5 inches tall. Served 8 years in the Navy working in the engine room of steam driven ships. My height was an advantage in that I never hit my head on pipes and valves. I use a step ladder at work to overcome the disadvantages of my height. I’ve dated women who were both taller and shorter than myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 08:13 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
They would have more than 3/4 of the entire male population to choose from - isn't that enough for the women who are average and less than average height???
If you read my previous posts that would not be the case.

Old 09-13-2021, 10:48 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Someone asked above about why women on dating sites seem to always want a man 6'0" or over. Like, what is the magic about 6'0"? Personally I think it's because men usually add a few inches to their height. If you see a guy listing 5'10", you can be pretty sure he's 5'8". Also, (a lot of) women are looking for someone who's still taller than they are even with super-high heels adding 4" or 5".

Old 09-14-2021, 02:44 AM

53 posts, read 40,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Once you include people from outside of Northern Europe, the average height drops significantly. Just think about the populations from countries that provide the most immigrants! Local girls are 5'8-5'9. I don't even consider them tall unless they are 6'0. I am tall, so we are in a different world and we measure by different standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Someone asked above about why women on dating sites seem to always want a man 6'0" or over. Like, what is the magic about 6'0"? Personally I think it's because men usually add a few inches to their height. If you see a guy listing 5'10", you can be pretty sure he's 5'8". Also, (a lot of) women are looking for someone who's still taller than they are even with super-high heels adding 4" or 5".
So many people have the proportions and presence of 5'9-5'10, but they try to come across as 6'0-6'2. zIt is quite laughable and, just like beards, everyone is in on the joke and they just don't know the joke is actually them. We have reached peak height and looks delusion.

I do like tall girls, because they know what a tall guy truly looks like and how we are proportioned above non-tall guys - obviously. And, height fakers, please don't bother trying to fake tall people with your claims. We all know your height as we used to be your height when we were children.

Old 09-14-2021, 07:35 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,345,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
The link below should be the standard. In fact, given men's propensity to exaggerate and women's need for men to be a proper accessory, I'd recommend women date men 22 inches taller than them. Since the average woman is about 5'5", then the men they date should be 8'3". Since that height in men is relatively rare, I suggest we fund genetic engineering research to create taller men, like yesterday. There may be some surplus cash in the coffers that support global warming or pediatric oncology research that could be re-appropriated.

https://www.elle.com/culture/celebri...gs-mini-dress/

Old 09-14-2021, 07:45 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,345,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceuponatimeinGina View Post
Once you include people from outside of Northern Europe, the average height drops significantly. Just think about the populations from countries that provide the most immigrants! Local girls are 5'8-5'9. I don't even consider them tall unless they are 6'0. I am tall, so we are in a different world and we measure by different standards.

So many people have the proportions and presence of 5'9-5'10, but they try to come across as 6'0-6'2. zIt is quite laughable and, just like beards, everyone is in on the joke and they just don't know the joke is actually them. We have reached peak height and looks delusion.

I do like tall girls, because they know what a tall guy truly looks like and how we are proportioned above non-tall guys - obviously. And, height fakers, please don't bother trying to fake tall people with your claims. We all know your height as we used to be your height when we were children.
You seem quite concerned that someone might encroach on your stature status. We need a pithy reference to label a fake syndrome befalling tall people who worry excessively about their height being taken from them, in fact or by deception. Who's a relatively tall world leader who always seemed to have a grievance about something? Just recently. I can almost see his face underneath some heavy make up and for some reason I'm thinking of tangerines.

Old 09-14-2021, 08:21 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
I like the subject of the history & genetics of height.

("There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.") Who knows? I do believe there were tribes of VERY tall people on many land masses of the world thousands of years ago & with travel & trade, we began to mingle & even out. It's interesting how genes express themselves. We are all probably in the middle range of what what humans were multi-generations ago; some short (under 5, maybe even under 4 feet) & some tall (over 7 feet).

I'm 5'11". Was 5'10" by the 7th grade & I felt incredibly awkward about it. I love my height now.

At 5'10", my mom was unusual for a full Greek woman. She had a grandfather who was called an "Adonis Greek"; 6'4", blonde hair & blue eyes. We have done some DNA research & it appears there was a recent Ashkenazi ancestor in there somewhere.

My dad is 5'6" & he is the best provider & protector I've ever known. He's always loved tall women. When he was stationed in Japan my parents would be stopped in Tokyo by Japanese businessmen who wanted to have pictures taken standing next to my mom, lol.

Out of my 10 kids, only 2 are shorter than I; one daughter is 5'6, another daughter is 5'9. My 5'6" daughter's twin sister is 5'11" like me, lol. All 7 of my sons are 6 foot +. Two are 6'4" & one is 6'5" ... he's a still growing teenager & his doctor estimates he will be 6'7" when fully grown.

We are tall people.

There's nothing that can be done about it, love who you are & what you are. I regret being so insecure about my height when I was young, because I developed poor posture habits that I'm still working on overcoming today.

Last edited by coschristi; 09-14-2021 at 08:30 AM..

Old 09-14-2021, 10:49 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I don't quite get how your "previous posts" will have an impact on the male population that is under 6'. I think I actually underestimated it at 3/4 of the entire male population, as I looked it up and only 14.5% of American males are 6 ft or taller.

So what about your previous posts makes that 85.5% of males under 6 ft tall not available to all women under 5'6" height? And I assume from your Eeyore-like posts that you must belong to that group under 6 ft tall.

Old 09-14-2021, 02:47 PM

1,187 posts, read 994,873 times
Recently I had a doctor that said I was almost 5'4 and that pissed me off! I can remember the first time a doctor told me I was over 5'2, in my late teens and I was super mad as well. I don't like being over 5'3, and I don't think I actually am. I think I must have been standing too straight when they measured me. :P

Old 09-14-2021, 11:10 PM

2 posts, read 774 times
I am 5'1, I wish i was a little taller!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty