Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 02:53 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,547,427 times

Advertisements

I can't stand these scents. They all make me feel like I'm about to have an asthma attack because they're so cloying:

Red, Poison, White Diamonds, Passion, Samsara, Mambo, Green Tea by Elizabeth Arden, and anything by Comptoir Sud Pacifique.

I, too, have never understood the appeal of perfumes that smell like food--butterscotch, cake, chocolate, mangoes, strawberries, etc. I find them especially unpleasant in hot weather. I guess it's a generational thing since lots of young ladies in their teens and twenties seem to love them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 03:21 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
I can't stand these scents. They all make me feel like I'm about to have an asthma attack because they're so cloying:

Red, Poison, White Diamonds, Passion, Samsara, Mambo, Green Tea by Elizabeth Arden, and anything by Comptoir Sud Pacifique.

I, too, have never understood the appeal of perfumes that smell like food--butterscotch, cake, chocolate, mangoes, strawberries, etc. I find them especially unpleasant in hot weather. I guess it's a generational thing since lots of young ladies in their teens and twenties seem to love them.
I don't like the foods scents either, but I do like to wear a small combination of vanilla and pumpkin spice oil. Not really a foody smell but a warm spicy one, and I only like it in the fall and winter.

I don't understand the appeal of the perfumes/colognes that are supposed to smell like leather.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:11 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post

The general rule is one or two dabs of perfume with the bottle top as applicator, never directly onto one's skin. Or one or two spritzes of eau de toilette and never directly on you.

!
Curious, I have heard of "walk thru" a spray of toilette but
how does one dab perfume on with the bottle top, but not on your skin---where does it go ?

Old 09-01-2011, 06:45 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,655,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCtoWPB View Post
Calvin Klein's Obsession- the scent is nauseating.

It is so gross-it is right up there with pathouli oil-gag!

Old 12-05-2012, 04:05 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,655,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I always smell those Victorias Secret Angels perfumes everywhere I go, so they must be very popular. I think they smell horrible and cheap on all women.

Any scents that seem to seem popular that you don't like?

Chanel No 5
Obsession
Vanilla anything

Old 12-05-2012, 05:06 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,933,010 times
Being a child of the 80s, the popular 80s scents are passe and unappealing to me now: Charlie, Babe, Love's Baby Soft, Giorgio, Opium, Tabu, Anais Anais, Jovan Musk, L'Air du Temps, Windsong, and my Mom's all time favorites (but not mine!): Chantilly and Emeraude. Recently discovered new favorite---Burberry! Love it!

Old 12-05-2012, 11:17 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,247 times
Chanel No.5 resembles cat pee the moment it touches my skin, apart from that its just too strong.
Opium, everyone loved it, used to dowse themselves in it ... saved on bathing I guess
Poison, is that the one that smells like a cross between parma violets and gum drops ... gross ..

For men
aramis ... blech !

Old 12-06-2012, 08:22 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
+1

Not to mention body chemistry: What smells good on one person may not necessarily work on another.
^^Correct!

And there any many fragrances that give me an instant headache resulting from all the chemicals used in the products.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:10 PM

101 posts, read 249,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCtoWPB View Post
Calvin Klein's Obsession- the scent is nauseating.
I hate it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Poison, any of the Calvin Klein fragrances (like Eternity--yuck!) and *gasp* Chanel #5.
I hate Poison, but I love Eternity. Chanel #5 reminds me of church, the scent that matronly women wear. Its amazing coz its model was Marilyn Monroe...Church and Marilyn just dont go together

For me, its D&G Light Blue. Maybe it smells good, but it became so popular one time that the scent became so common and even disgusting.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:01 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,984,317 times
Anyone remember CK One?
I love anything by Banana Republic.
hate Channel 5. Any perfume by a singer or actress I will NOT purchase.
I used to wear AMERIGE back in the 90's when I was dating my Husband.
HUBBA HUBBA!!!
I just smelled it again a few days ago and almost gagged!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty